Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Do I Remove This Software

Options
  • 22-12-2014 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭

So a few weeks ago I was searching for a YouTube downloader and when I found what seemed to be a legitimate one I clicked download. This lead to a prompt that allowing the download would allow the instillation of a monetising browser with ads so I refused.

However, the software downloaded without my consent and it's lead to a load of bingo and travel related windows popping up. As well as that some words in posts are underlined with links to websites. My web searches also have about half a page of ads before I get to the real results.

It's quite annoying and it's particularly bad on boards.ie. I'd appreciate any advice on how to get rid of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Can you give more details? Do you know the name of the monetising browser? If you search google for the name of the browser and 'malware removal' you will probably find a solution - just be careful to double check the name and address carefully so you don't download more problematic software.

Without the specific name you could try downloading and running a new anti-virus package AND a malware removal tool. I have used Avast and Malwarebytes in the past and found them to be decent - you could check the following links for other reccommendations.

http://lifehacker.com/10-malware-removal-apps-tested-malwarebytes-comes-out-1614046598
    http://lifehacker.com/five-best-desktop-antivirus-applications-1607557993

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

It's called the Browser Shop. I've tried to uninstall it as a program in the control panel but it isn't even appearing there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

The the trial version of revo uninstaller, it should clear it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Check your browser add-ons - I've come across quite a few recently that sneak in that way and hijack searches/display ads depending on page content.

Good chance there will be some remnants left so a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (rootkit scan enabled in case it got in that way), and then Ccleaner after the reboot will help clear any remaining rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

It's a browser extension, remove extensions in your browser.
    Also, was it downloaded from cnet?

• Advertisement

I tried revo uninstaller, and I couldn't find the browser shop in my control panel, so I couldn't see what to uninstall.

How do I remove browser extensions? I'm using Google Chrome but I'm unsure where that option is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dariukas

try scanning your PC with "Malwarebytes Anti-Malwarebyte" or S&D either of them usually cleans everything...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Could you try restoring your pc back to before you installed the download

braddun wrote: »
    I tried everything n this thread but I think following this finally got rid of the thing. Thanks a lot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement