Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Security Certs (which to go for).

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

CISM, CISSP and the like are not technical enough. IMO, the ISACA etc are for security management and not for pure security pros.
    If you want a top tier technical certification, look at SANS / GIAC.

I've done all of these: CISM, GCIH, GSEC, GPEN, GMOB (course only right now), CEH, various vendor specific certs (checkpoint/MS/etc), CASP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Fuzzy wrote: »
    CISM, CISSP and the like are not technical enough. IMO, the ISACA etc are for security management and not for pure security pros.
    If you want a top tier technical certification, look at SANS / GIAC.

I've done all of these: CISM, GCIH, GSEC, GPEN, GMOB (course only right now), CEH, various vendor specific certs (checkpoint/MS/etc), CASP.

I'm coming at it more from a Management angle. I'm an IT Manager and looking to undertake some security training and certification without going down a purely technical route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Would rather do the CISM via a 3/4 day bootcamp + a bit of self study.
    Is there any providers regularly offering these bootcamps?
    Could you do the bootcamp + exam in a week or would that be pushing it?

I don't know your experience but I'd say that would be pushing it. The CISM has loads of questions where the 4 answers are correct but you've got to say which you'd do first or which would be the best of the 4 answers.

I'd recommend you buy the Course Manual and the Questions CD. That'll give you a better idea of how long you'll need to study. I've been working in security for a while now so lots of the questions were straightforward but there's lots (and lots and lots) of reading to go through in that course manual and it is as dry as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭pah

Thinking of doing OSCP myself this summer over 60 or 90 days. Studying for a masters in Forensic Computing and Cybercrime part time so this should fill the summer gap nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I'm coming at it more from a Management angle. I'm an IT Manager and looking to undertake some security training and certification without going down a purely technical route.
    How are you going to fulfill the work experience requirements of the CISM?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Do ye guys think hiring in general will pick up in the cyber/security field?
    My impression is that it seems to be getting busier.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Thinking about starting this in September myself. How are you finding it with work?

Funnily enough I'm just after starting my final semester in that course.

It's tough in fairness but my experience is coloured by the fact I'm doing it full time as well as working full time. The content is excellent and it's well run. I did / am finding the workload heavy going with assignment due dates seemingly popping up out of nowhere.

I'd looked at a few similar courses and to be honest it's worth the effort and time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

pah wrote: »
    Thinking of doing OSCP myself this summer over 60 or 90 days. Studying for a masters in Forensic Computing and Cybercrime part time so this should fill the summer gap nicely.

Is that in ITB.?
    I did the bsc hons and was sorry I didn't go on to do the masters while i had the chance on springboard.
    I was burnt out by that stage with a h dip and postgrad.prior to the bsc.

Is that in ITB.?
    I did the bsc hons and was sorry I didn't go on to do the masters while i had the chance on springboard.

The Msc FCCI is in UCD.

• Advertisement

Brilliant. Fair play it will be well worth it in the end! im looking at doing my part time as I want the experience and the masters after a couple of years. I could travel with it then you know.

It's actually structured more towards doing it part time to be fair. Subject choice is quite varied and the subjects themselves are really useful. You won't regret doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Projections indicate that 2020 it will hit its peak. So if youve loads of groundwork done before then youll be sorted :P

Thats the plan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

If you've questions about the MSSF course in DCU just drop me a PM or whatever. In it part time up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭pah

Thinking about starting this in September myself. How are you finding it with work?

It can be tough with assignments due, but starting them when they are released is the key. I often go 2 weeks without doing the lectures and then go on a run. Sometimes I can get a bit done when I'm on nights if it's quiet.
    Is that in ITB.?

The course is in UCD

It's very well structured and professionally delivered. I'm really enjoying it.
    Projections indicate that 2020 it will hit its peak. So if youve loads of groundwork done before then youll be sorted :P

A nice private sector 9-5 will suit me fine then :o

Advertisement