Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self Catering Wedding Venue

• 09-12-2014 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

Hi

Could anybody recommend a self-catering wedding venue in Leinster (preferably in Dublin or surrounding counties)?

We have people lined up who can provide everything we need in terms of catering, equipment, bar and other supplies but don't really know where to begin looking for a venue.

We would prefer something somewhat classy as opposed to a rugby club hall, but we aren't too fussy in that regard at the same time.

Any good ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭fits

Ballybeg, Borris house, Kippure, druids glen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

There was Kilsharvan house in Meath, owned by one of the Dragons from Dragons den, pricey but would be fab if you had the budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Borris House is fab. They prefer to do things in house these days, but definitely still offer a self catering option. They have just finished their granary too, so if the main ballroom was too big for what you had in mind, that is another fab option!

Alternatively, there is a place called Moongate nearby which also offers self catering for events, but it would be smaller.

What kind of budget had you in mind? Often renting a marquee to put up at home can work out as cheap as renting a venue.

Also, besides staff, food, etc. you may also have to think about portaloos, accommodation and transport options for guests, DIY decorating...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

kkcatlou wrote: »
    Borris House is fab. They prefer to do things in house these days, but definitely still offer a self catering option. They have just finished their granary too, so if the main ballroom was too big for what you had in mind, that is another fab option!

Alternatively, there is a place called Moongate nearby which also offers self catering for events, but it would be smaller.

What kind of budget had you in mind? Often renting a marquee to put up at home can work out as cheap as renting a venue.

Also, besides staff, food, etc. you may also have to think about portaloos, accommodation and transport options for guests, DIY decorating...

We wouldn't have a huge budget, but can source the bar, catering and equipment through friends so we hope that shouldn't work out too expensive. We'd also likely buy the alcohol ourselves at wholesale cost prices, and the sell on the night at a reasonable proce to guests (which should make the night more affordable for them too).

To be honest though this is only a runner if we can the whole thing at rough comparable prices to a traditional venue , so likely between €5,000-€6000 for 100 people.

I'm skeptical that IT can be done at that price personally, but my friends work in the events industry and have assured me it can.

Finding the venue is the problem.

Oh - and ideally it would have stuff like toilets already in situ, otherwise the cost of portaloos etc would likely make it too expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Tailors hall in Dublin and Christchurch. Tailors hall usually have a list of vendors they use frequently - I don't know if they make exceptions. Only drawback with Christchurch is that you'd have to finish up early enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Smock Alley allow outside caterers too.
    It's an amazing space, but like Christchurch you've to be out early.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

floggg wrote: »
    We wouldn't have a huge budget, but can source the bar, catering and equipment through friends so we hope that shouldn't work out too expensive. We'd also likely buy the alcohol ourselves at wholesale cost prices, and the sell on the night at a reasonable proce to guests (which should make the night more affordable for them too).

To be honest though this is only a runner if we can the whole thing at rough comparable prices to a traditional venue , so likely between €5,000-€6000 for 100 people.

I'm skeptical that IT can be done at that price personally, but my friends work in the events industry and have assured me it can.

Finding the venue is the problem.

Oh - and ideally it would have stuff like toilets already in situ, otherwise the cost of portaloos etc would likely make it too expensive.

That will definitely make it a lot tougher. Renting a private venue or marquee alone will set you back between €4-6k so that's nearly your whole budget gone before you start to talk to your caterers, bar staff, etc.

I have to say I would feel very uncomfortable using my guests to help fund the wedding (i.e. through cash sales at the bar), but that said, I suppose otherwise you are helping them fund the profits of the venue!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭An Bhanríon

Don't totally discount a sports club or community hall if you can't find a nicer venue. I was at a wedding once in a community hall and it was done up beautifully - curtains covering the walls, balloons covering the basketball rings... Now I know it was a lot of work for the bride and groom and their families to decorate (they were up very late the night before the wedding doing the place up), but if you are into that sort of thing and have people to help out with decorating I would see it as an option. This couple even did up the toilets. They put scented candles in, nice soap, hand cream for the ladies, decorations on the mirrors. It looked fab! And they although it took a lot of work they got a great sense of achievement out of transforming the place from a very plain community hall to a wedding venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

Segrave House in Dunany county louth is a beautiful place with renovated barns and lovely gardens. Plenty of room for indoor and outdoor, theres a big open barn with a barbeque and another nice barn for dining. Its only 15 minutes off the M1 near Dunleer, its a beautiful rural settting close to the sea.

They have another renovated barn which they rent our as holiday acccomodation, it sleeps 8, have a look at it on daft, it'll give you an idea of what the place looks likes but you really have to see it in person to appreciate it, look for ashtreebarn on daft holiday rentals in Louth. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

kkcatlou wrote: »
    That will definitely make it a lot tougher. Renting a private venue or marquee alone will set you back between €4-6k so that's nearly your whole budget gone before you start to talk to your caterers, bar staff, etc.

I cant see this either unless youre hiring a barn ala some american weddings photos that go round the web, and those american wedding photos all look great when theyve got nearly a guarantee of sun but this is Ireland so you have to cater for an indoor event. I think thats very ambitious for that figure.

I seen at the weekend louis fitzgerald hotel are doing 3999e for 80 people you get arrival food, dinner, DJ and finger food. Probably usual price per head after that to add on. why not do something like that but do the room up the way you want it.

theres a good few "marquee weddings on a budget" websites knocking around where people have priced everything down to napkins. replace the hire of the marquee with the hire of the venue and you should get ballpark. 10-12k seems to be the round figure IIRC. if you do manage to do it, keep a website blog, youll have a lot of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 iseypeasy

Segrave House in Dunany county louth is a beautiful place with renovated barns and lovely gardens. Plenty of room for indoor and outdoor, theres a big open barn with a barbeque and another nice barn for dining. Its only 15 minutes off the M1 near Dunleer, its a beautiful rural settting close to the sea.

They have another renovated barn which they rent our as holiday acccomodation, it sleeps 8, have a look at it on daft, it'll give you an idea of what the place looks likes but you really have to see it in person to appreciate it, look for ashtreebarn on daft holiday rentals in Louth. :)

Hi there! went lookign after your recoomendation becasue it sounds exactly what im looking for but can't seem to find any info online about seagrave house. do they still do weddings? did you go to one? Thanks!

found ashtreebarn on daft. looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

iseypeasy wrote: »
    Hi there! went lookign after your recoomendation becasue it sounds exactly what im looking for but can't seem to find any info online about seagrave house. do they still do weddings? did you go to one? Thanks!

found ashtreebarn on daft. looks great!

Hi I'll pm you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Have to say we were surprised that there actually isn't that much of a diffferance between renting a venue for the weekend to lets say going to a hotel. But the time you add on all the extras the hotels charge I know for definite ours came up not being so different..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 michelle79

I know this is an old post but for people reafing it in future, someone said hiring a venue would be 4 to 6k. That's definitely not the case. 2.5k I've seen. Including a few staff for security and car parking etc.
    It can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

michelle79 wrote: »
    I know this is an old post but for people reafing it in future, someone said hiring a venue would be 4 to 6k. That's definitely not the case. 2.5k I've seen. Including a few staff for security and car parking etc.
    It can be done.

Where was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 michelle79

Where was that?

Annesbrook in Duleek x

Advertisement