Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MPG?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I tend to travel at 90Kph +/-5Kph. This gives me in the region of 26MPG, but it can go as low as 21MPG if I travel at 110Kph or more. Being as aerodynamic a brick pushing above 100Kph or a strong headwind can really decimate the MPG.
    BUT, it's really all part of the 'lifestyle' cost and if the relatively low MPG of a motorhome bothers a person unduly then perhaps a tent and car might be a better option ;)

BTW, one should always park up with a full tank. The 'bugs' mentioned HERE will be supplied their water to grow from the condensation which forms on the insides of the walls of empty or part empty tanks as they are left standing for weeks on end. I have been told by a main dealer foreman mechanic that the current diesel which now contains a percentage of Bio Diesel suffers more than the old stuff with this problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

With Niloc mentioning parking the camper up (for the winter in my case), don't do what I did 2 years ago.

When I took the camper out for an overnighter at the end of winter, had a nice night out, filled up with petrol near home, took the record book in the house and did the consumption calculations as usual then spent the next couple of days trying to figure out why I had only got 24mpg rather than the usual 30!!.

Took me 2 day before I remembered that through the winter I was starting her, and leaving the engine running, for around ten minutes every 4 or 5 days for nearly 3 months without any mileage going on the odometer:o. Just moving her backwards and forwards a couple of feet for the sake of the tyres.

Pillock or what.

Same thing happens if you charge the leisure batteries off the alternator while standing. Genuine miles..ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

..................... filled up with petrol................

Perhaps you meant diesel!, but don't worry if you have a petrol engine as the effect I was talking about in my earlier post only happens to diesel fuel.

BTW it is better to go for a short drive to fully warm up the engine by giving it a bit of work to do, give the tyres a proper run and warm up the various transmission oils and greases.
    Such a run shouldn't consume more than a litre of fuel and it would be money well spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Perhaps you meant diesel!, but don't worry if you have a petrol engine as the effect I was talking about in my earlier post only happens to diesel fuel.

BTW it is better to go for a short drive to fully warm up the engine by giving it a bit of work to do, give the tyres a proper run and warm up the various transmission oils and greases.
    Such a run shouldn't consume more than a litre of fuel and it would be money well spent.

It had better be petrol as that's all I've ever put in it:). It wasn't bugs or anything that I was worried about it was just the parking up that reminded me of the missing petrol:D.
    Not always easy to get the camper out from behind the tractors and starting any vehicle on a regular basis does just as well I've always found, as long as it gets a bit of movement for the sake of the tyres and to move the gears around.

Advertisement