Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need new cooker switch- advice needed

Options
  • 18-01-2014 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi all,

I know absolutely next- to- nothing about electrics, so please bear with me.

I need to replace my cooker switch as the current switch has become loose from wear and tear, down through the years. I will, of course, be calling an electrician in to do the job, though I want to supply the part myself as I have a specific one in mind. The cooker switch is for a 60cm freestanding electric cooker with induction hob.

The fuse switch for the cooker on the main fuse box in my house is labelled "32", which I assume is 32A.

Most of the DIY suppliers that I have found online only supply 45A cooker switches. Is 32 a minimum supply and, therefore, can I use a 45A cooker switch? Or is it a maximum supply and, therefore, is 45A too much?

Also, I was hoping to replace the existing cooker switch panel with a panel consisting of a 45A cooker switch and 13A socket in one. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance, please excuse my ignorance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Hi all,

I know absolutely next- to- nothing about electrics, so please bear with me.

I need to replace my cooker switch as the current switch has become loose from wear and tear, down through the years. I will, of course, be calling an electrician in to do the job, though I want to supply the part myself as I have a specific one in mind. The cooker switch is for a 60cm freestanding electric cooker with induction hob.

The fuse switch for the cooker on the main fuse box in my house is labelled "32", which I assume is 32A.

Most of the DIY suppliers that I have found online only supply 45A cooker switches. Is 32 a minimum supply and, therefore, can I use a 45A cooker switch? Or is it a maximum supply and, therefore, is 45A too much?

Also, I was hoping to replace the existing cooker switch panel with a panel consisting of a 45A cooker switch and 13A socket in one. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance, please excuse my ignorance.

The 45A is a switch capable of switching a max of 45 Amps, a 32A switch can only switch 32 Amps, so you can use a 45A switch on a 32 amp load, but you can't use a 32A switch on a 45 Amp load.

In short yes you can use the 45A switch.

The combined switch and 13A outlet isn't permitted as you would have no RCD protection on the circuit.

Advertisement