Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT Accommodation 2013/2014

Options
  • 26-05-2013 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi All,

Joined Boards.ie just to post this thread. I'll be heading up to Dublin to start in the 1st year of the BIMM course this year and I'd like to share a house/flat with a number of other girls or lads for around 350 p/m. Student accommodation is proving too expensive so I hope this will help fellow 1st year students, and whoever else, through the accommodation process.

Please feel free to discuss other options on this forum. If there are any BIMM students also looking to house share (because of the obvious mutual music interest and practice required), that would be ideal for me.

Personally, I'd be looking for a single room in shared accommodation anywhere within a 2 mile radius of the BIMM building on Francis Street. I've looked on all the renting websites and haven't found anything pursuing thus far.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭megan2013

Just said this to another guy. Purpose built student accommodation isn't actually more expensive. It looks like it at first but when you add bills on top of your normal rent, "normal" shared accommodation works out much more expensive. You are looking at around 100 Euro per week in proper student places and that already includes your bills! So no bad surprises at the end of the month. Not sure if you ever had to pay your own bills before and know what to expect on top of your rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

While student accommodation might be less expensive in some instances, I can't imagine as a musician that it would be easy. I don't like playing through headphones!!
    Even more so if you plan to share with multiple musicians!

I would much prefer a house, but that's just me. I guess I'm used to wide open country spaces :p
    Plus, besides a good (UPC) internet connection, there's no additional cost for me (-obvious utilities)

What stream are you going for, out of curiosity? I was there this year, hope to get into the BA in September!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭megan2013

You are probably right then. I think they might be a bit stricter in student accommodation with music. I just finished my business degree. Good luck with the search!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 EvelynOfEther

Hey!

I did one year in the BA in Voice and Dance at the University of Limerick this year but it wasn't for me, so I'm hoping to transfer into the 2nd year of the Vocal course at DIT. I know what you mean about being a musician, I play guitar so having a roommate would be fairly pointless since I wouldn't get much done! I'm hoping as it gets closer to the date there might be people looking for 1 more person to fill a house or something like that, I haven't had much luck with sites like CollegeCribs.ie jut yet, but hopefully things might look up soon enough.

What strand are you going for?

Best of luck!

megan2013 wrote: »
    Just said this to another guy. Purpose built student accommodation isn't actually more expensive. It looks like it at first but when you add bills on top of your normal rent, "normal" shared accommodation works out much more expensive. You are looking at around 100 Euro per week in proper student places and that already includes your bills! So no bad surprises at the end of the month. Not sure if you ever had to pay your own bills before and know what to expect on top of your rent.
    Hey,

That's probably very true. I lived in student accommodation last year and it was so easy, the person who's putting me through college however seems to think that it will be easy to find a house of a few people to live with. Although I'd love to live in student accommodation, the ones which seem reasonable in price to me seem to be located very far from the college. I'll be transferring to a job on O'Connell street also so I need to think about location for that too.

Still have a few months to find somewhere so I'm not going to fret... just yet.

• Advertisement

Finding a house is gonna be difficult. I'd much prefer one if I get in, but realistically it would be hard to find a house in the city at a reasonable price. Although Dublin Bus are great, it's a lot easier if you just have to walk 10 mins down the road!
    It is a bit early to be looking from what I've read, so you might have a better chance closer to the start.

Being a musician is definitely not an attractive quality when it comes to non-musical roommates! Though, a house full of musicians can lead to great things.. I know a few guys who were living together & in BIMM, & they've formed a savage band from it.

I'll hopefully get into the guitar stream, did the 1 year course this year. Fingers crossed, we find out this week

Finding a house is gonna be difficult. I'd much prefer one if I get in, but realistically it would be hard to find a house in the city at a reasonable price. Although Dublin Bus are great, it's a lot easier if you just have to walk 10 mins down the road!
    It is a bit early to be looking from what I've read, so you might have a better chance closer to the start.

Being a musician is definitely not an attractive quality when it comes to non-musical roommates! Though, a house full of musicians can lead to great things.. I know a few guys who were living together & in BIMM, & they've formed a savage band from it.

I'll hopefully get into the guitar stream, did the 1 year course this year. Fingers crossed, we find out this week
    That's brilliant, best of luck!

Yeah, for convenience and even more so because of the opportunities it might bring, I think living with musicians would be ideal, even if I have to wait until 2nd semester or even 3rd year to find people. Hopefully someone looking will see this post anyway. :]

• Registered Users Posts: 3 strphenbishop

Hey!
    I have been accepted to the vocals stream of BIMM Dublin so if I get my points I will need to find a flat mate and somewhere to live!
    Anyone interested in sharing please give me a message
    Obviously music is a common interest already and you would have to put up with listening to me sing as I will have to practice haha :)
    Anyway if you're interested let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Christine Chun

Hey!
    I have been accepted to the vocals stream of BIMM so if I get my points I will need to find a flat mate and somewhere to live!
    Anyone interested in sharing please give me a message
    Obviously music is a common interest already and you would have to put up with listening to me sing as I will have to practice haha :)
    Anyway if you're interested let me know!

Hi
    Have you looked at homesforstudents, there are quite a few Bimmers on there looking for housemates.
    One of them is my son Sam, from Cornwall. He is a guitarist and is trying to get a group together as virtually all houses need you to be part of a group.
    When will you know you've got the necessary points and I forgot to say he's going to Brighton I assumed you're going there!
    Christine

Sorry I'm going to BIMM Dublin :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Christine Chun

Sorry I'm going to BIMM Dublin :)

Hope you av a fantastic time:-)

Are you looking for a house or an apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ely406

Hi,
    So I'm pretty sure I will be starting DIT Cathal Brugha Street in September and I haven't got a clue what to do about accommodation! I was told to stay away from halls of residence because they're a rip off and go for a house instead because you save a fortune but the problem is I don't know anyone going to DIT or college in Dublin for that matter! I've been looking on some websites but I haven't found anything...Any suggestions?

You wont find much people looking for accommodation now!

No one knows for certain where they're gonna end up, wait 'till after the 1st round offers. The place will be jammers with students looking for places!

No point sorting a house in Rathmines when you're going to Tralee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

On the other hand, if you are "pretty sure" you are going to Cathal Brugha St, you might be best to beat the rush.

There are a huge number of apartments on the streets nearby, such as on Parnell St and Gardner St. Some of these are council flats but a lot are not. The Phibsboro and Dorset St areas should also be good.

They are not exactly leafy suburbs, but good cheap locations for the first year or 2 in colege.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ely406

Yeah I repeated the leaving and had enough points for the course last year so I'm pretty sure I've got it:) I was looking into the Phibsboro area! I would want to walk to college everyday so somewhere close enough would be handy...just a matter of finding somewhere to live and people to live with.

I've seen quite a few threads about accommodation, & rather than 30+ threads about the same thing, direct all questions/request/etc here!!
    Once the 19th rolls around, everyone will be looking for somewhere to live. A month isn't a lot of time to find 3 housemates

General consensus is a house shared between BIMM students is the least hassle for everyone.
    It might get loud! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Floydy B

Hey Everyone

I'm in the same boat with the accommodation. Hoping to get excepted into the Songwriting stream. Have been looking at flats so far on daft.ie , etc, and it just seems crazy expensive for not the best locations. I'd be really into the idea of sharing with other musicians, in a house/flat. I have a younger brother also hoping to get in, if he gets enough points in his leaving. He's 19....i'm 20. Obviously we're both massively into music, art, films....and all that stuff. Anyone interested, or have a few spare rooms in a house to fill, give me a shout. Happy to live with guys or girls. I'm so excited for BIMM, but i'm just worried about sorting a flat in time. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks

Floyd

Floydy B wrote: »
    Hey Everyone

I'm in the same boat with the accommodation. Hoping to get excepted into the Songwriting stream. Have been looking at flats so far on daft.ie , etc, and it just seems crazy expensive for not the best locations. I'd be really into the idea of sharing with other musicians, in a house/flat. I have a younger brother also hoping to get in, if he gets enough points in his leaving. He's 19....i'm 20. Obviously we're both massively into music, art, films....and all that stuff. Anyone interested, or have a few spare rooms in a house to fill, give me a shout. Happy to live with guys or girls. I'm so excited for BIMM, but i'm just worried about sorting a flat in time. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks

Floyd

I think once the results come in it'll be easy enough to find people. I've been in contact with one girl hoping to find a house if we both get in.We don't know each other but having ties like that will make it easier when the time comes around. I applied to get into 2nd year but unfortunately my application was rejected for the vocal strand. Hope to god the points I got last year will suffice, along with the interview points! Very worried all of a sudden but there's nothing I can do now. :]

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Floydy B

I think once the results come in it'll be easy enough to find people. I've been in contact with one girl hoping to find a house if we both get in.We don't know each other but having ties like that will make it easier when the time comes around. I applied to get into 2nd year but unfortunately my application was rejected for the vocal strand. Hope to god the points I got last year will suffice, along with the interview points! Very worried all of a sudden but there's nothing I can do now. :]

Yeah i guess you're right...once the results are out people will know then for sure , and then looking to move in together and stuff. That sounds cool. Its a pity you didn't get into year 2 vocals, but hopefully you'll make it in the end. Best of luck and thanks for your reply. Maybe hear from you again in the next few weeks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Marty Rath

Hey guys,
    I realise I might be a bit late posting this, but I'll be heading to DIT looking for accommodation. I applied for creative and cultural industries, mainly for the music involved as I didn't study it in school. I'm passionate about music and making it, and sharing with another/other musicians would be a dream.
    I'll be going to Aungier St campus, among other parts as the course is diverse.
    Would like to get in touch, as I'm looking for the same type of accommodation and price range, and to get to know possible housemates. :)

Thanks,
    Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DylaanWalsh

I am up for getting somewhere to stay! Should be amazing! Have you looked at anywhere online? Dylan x

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DylaanWalsh

Just messaged you!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭shuffle65

Hi, my son hoping to start in BIMM Dublin next month, so starting to look about accommodation too. Did you get anything sorted?

Have not found anything yet! Saw a nice flat in Ashtown which is about 15 mins on bus from BIMM

I can't find anywhere online that lists people looking for housemates!
    Anyone know of any sites?

It would be awfully handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I can't find anywhere online that lists people looking for housemates!
    Anyone know of any sites?

It would be awfully handy!

DIT have an accom group on FB do a search for DIT accommodation 2010 (I think that's what its called)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I've stickied all the accommodation threads and merged them into one general DIT one for the year to keep the place tidy, if all accommodation requests and queries could be put in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Yellow Monkey

Hi i am looking to go to dit and am looking for the best place to stay like with room mates but have a single room. I also want a safe but still a good atmosphere. Its my first year thanks for any advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Yellow Monkey

Hi i am looking to go to dit and am looking for the best place to stay like in a campus with room mates but have a single room. I also want a safe but still a good atmosphere. Its my first year thanks for any advice

Advertisement