Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survey on Internet use in older people (aged 58+)

Options
  • 11-12-2012 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm a final year applied psychology student in University College Cork, for my final year research project I'm conducting a study on the well-being in older people (aged 58+) and how internet use influences this. Hopefully, I'll be able to find something significant with regard to psychological well-being. It'd be great if people if could fill out my survey and get their friends to. I'm finding it really difficult to get participants and the survey shouldn't take any longer than ten minutes, and if you've any questions you can ask me. Thanks in advance :)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LR587MF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 musicmad18

I've made some changes to the survey https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LR587MF . It'd make my christmas if people could fill it out, I'm finding it really different to find participants!!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

I see you've got this in the O&O's Forum, but you might find it helpful to post a link to your survey in there. I had the devil of a job finding it :)

Oh, and I'm sorry I can't participate - for once in my life, I'M TOO YOUNG! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

musicmad18 wrote: »
    I've made some changes to the survey https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LR587MF . It'd make my christmas if people could fill it out, I'm finding it really different to find participants!!
    Ok, I filled it out and submitted it. Might I suggest you try to keep it a little shorter and 'tighter'?

Good luck with your studies! Hope I've helped,,,,

Hi:) Thank you so much!! It's not actually possible to make changes once people have started responding without losing all the data gathered, but I'll keep that in mind for the next survey I do!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Mollywolly wrote: »
    I see you've got this in the O&O's Forum, but you might find it helpful to post a link to your survey in there. I had the devil of a job finding it :)

Oh, and I'm sorry I can't participate - for once in my life, I'M TOO YOUNG! :D

Me too :D
    Ahh the joys of youth :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I found it way too personal and a bit strange. The internet is only a tool and I really struggled to answer questions such as if you needed a 500 e loan etc.
    I think older people would not be so socially active as to consider some of the things you ask. I managed to get halfway through the first page and gave up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

If the questionnaire is aimed at older folk, then the language used in the questions should be changed to suit. I felt I was being questioned by a very young person. I really felt some of the questions were a bit daft but I completed it anyway. You owe me lunch! :D

I wasn't allowed to post a link to the survey here by the moderators, so I really appreciate anyone who's gone to the effort of trying to find it!:) I know the wording of some of the questions isn't great, but I actually didn't word them, I had to use pre-existing scales and believe it or not the scales i've used are considered the best in the subject area! I'm sorry that you found it a bit strange yellowlabrador but thanks for giving it a try anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,125 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OldGoat has put in a link in O&O

I filled it in but while I could see where you were coming from I found a lot of the questions a bit strange and answered a lot of them with the neutral option as the answer was really 'none of the above'. There was also a whole swathe of stuff that would have made sense of some of the answers that was not approached.

Well if that's the same for a lot of people, it'll have a significant meaning in my results:) Thanks for doing the survey, every person helps, and I'll definitely take everything that people have been saying into consideration when I'm doing my discussion. The issue with the scales is one that a lot of people have been mentioning, maybe I'll come up with a better one some day!

• Advertisement

Everyone's help is so much appreciated. I only need 60 more people... Every little helps!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Did your survey but don't think I need to contact the samaritans as a result :D

Thank you, that's good to know!:)

Thanks to everyone who's done the survey so far. It's much appreciated.

Nearly half-way there!! Everything is appreciated so much. Hope everyone is having a great Christmas!:D

If anyone that's done the survey (or anyone else too for that matter) could link it to other people too that would be the most amazing thing ever!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement