Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dipetane

Options
  • 02-02-2008 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever hear of this product before?

www.dipetane.com

An Irish product developed in the mid '80s.

Just seen an ad for it on City Channel and was surprised I'd never heard of it. Allegedly greatly improves mpg & dramatically reduces emissions.

I would have marked it down as a scam or voodoo science until the fleet managers from Coca Cola Ireland & Roadstone backed up the claims and said it worked for their fleets for the last decade or more.

Why isn't everyone using it?

The Claims:

Dipetane lowers - Nitrous Oxides ( NOx ) 35% or more.
    Dipetane lowers - Carbon Dioxide 23% or more.
    Dipetane lowers - Carbon Monoxide 9% or more.
    Dipetane lowers - Particulates ( Smoke ) 61% or more.
    Dipetane fuel technology is safe for all engines.
    Dipetane Fuel Treatment Has No Downside!
    Dipetane is 100% Hydrocarbon Liquid Fuel Catalyst that cleans up residual carbon through our exclusive Cleanburn™Technology

http://dipetane.net/html/research_fuel_emissions.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I'm bringing this one back up again as I've just seen it on TV again. Shame on you all for not responding last time ;)

I found this thread on Motors:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055151306

Apparently the Army were so impressed they use it all the time now.

My question remains, if it works this well then why isn't eveyone using it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Maybe because none of the people who tried it on the link actually got any better fuel economy. If they'd got any good out of it they'd have posted back.

I was watching a show where they tried all these, not Mythbusters (though saw that) think it was Tonight. They came to the conclusion that the additives aren't worth the money you pay for them and if you really want to save money and increase you're fuel efficiency then drive slower and don't do hard acceleration.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Hi I just added Dipetane to my petrol as I have a NCT due, I do a fair bit of city driving in traffic so wanted to give it a bit of a clean out.
    So I happened to be going for a long drive and on the return the engine light came on and the car began running very poor. The Idle is very rough, there is poor and rough acceleration and (i think) increased fuel consumption.

Is this just a freak coincidence or has the Dipetane done something?

If anyone has any opinions to my problem let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭blackbox

cuculainn wrote: »
    Hi I just added Dipetane to my petrol as I have a NCT due, I do a fair bit of city driving in traffic so wanted to give it a bit of a clean out.
    So I happened to be going for a long drive and on the return the engine light came on and the car began running very poor. The Idle is very rough, there is poor and rough acceleration and (i think) increased fuel consumption.

Is this just a freak coincidence or has the Dipetane done something?

If anyone has any opinions to my problem let me know

I'm not familiar with the product, but if it acts as a fuel system cleaner it may have dislodged some dirt that has now ended up somewhere more critical such as an injector nozzle or carburettor jet (depending on car type).

On the other hand it could be coincidence - when was your car last serviced? - maybe it needs plugs.

blackbox wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the product, but if it acts as a fuel system cleaner it may have dislodged some dirt that has now ended up somewhere more critical such as an injector nozzle or carburettor jet (depending on car type).

On the other hand it could be coincidence - when was your car last serviced? - maybe it needs plugs.

Yeah I had just bought oil/filter/plugs to service it before NCT. I was just checking it out on the Net and a blinking MIL light indicates that it is a misfire that will cause catalytic damage. I drove for about 80miles after the light went on so I could have caused some damage.

I guess I won't know till I read the fault code though...

Another coincidence ....I had just bought a fault code reader:D

• Advertisement

Is is common for dirt to get stuck in an injector or valve. Does it generally dislodge itself or would it require further action?

I guess it would not be too hard to check/clean the injectors but the valves would be tricker

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Avaya79

I have the NCT due soon and i am considering using Dipetane...would anyone recommend it, or has some experience using it ??

Yeah I would def recommend it....use it for about a month before test if you can.....I have not failed an emissions test since startting to use it......It def won't do any harm.......

You can't beat a good hard drive to the test centre also

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

How much does this stuff cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jewboy

Definitely recommended. Failed the NCT two weeks ago on the Smoke Test. Reading was 5.2 and the max was 3.0 (Diesel). Brought it to a garage and they couldn't find any issues and recommended a Diesel Mechanic :eek:

My brother recommended this stuff and gave the fuel a treatment with it and told me to drive it a bit hard. Just wait a few seconds longer before changing up the gears when driving to give the valves/injectors a good clean out. Took the retest yesterday and passed, reading was 1.1. :cool:

I checked the last NCT report from two years ago and the reading was 2.5 so this definitely reduces emissions considerably. Have the wife's car up in a few weeks so I'll definitely be treating it this weekend. Not sure how much it is yet though, my brother mentioned it was about €20 or so. Cheaper than a retest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rayh

jewboy wrote: »
    Definitely recommended. Failed the NCT two weeks ago on the Smoke Test. Reading was 5.2 and the max was 3.0 (Diesel). Brought it to a garage and they couldn't find any issues and recommended a Diesel Mechanic :eek:

My brother recommended this stuff and gave the fuel a treatment with it and told me to drive it a bit hard. Just wait a few seconds longer before changing up the gears when driving to give the valves/injectors a good clean out. Took the retest yesterday and passed, reading was 1.1. :cool:

I checked the last NCT report from two years ago and the reading was 2.5 so this definitely reduces emissions considerably. Have the wife's car up in a few weeks so I'll definitely be treating it this weekend. Not sure how much it is yet though, my brother mentioned it was about €20 or so. Cheaper than a retest.

Have you considered the impacts of the other changes you have made and the risk of an error at NCT testing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jewboy

rayh wrote: »
    Have you considered the impacts of the other changes you have made and the risk of an error at NCT testing?

The only change made to the car since its previous NCT was a new set of tyres apart from the two annual services. Of course an error could have been made at the NCT Centre but I'm no mechanic to query their test results. It helped me pass the test as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Tesco trucks use a similar product called Adblue (or something like that). lowers emissions and increase MPG, though I don't think its as noticeable as Diatine claims to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rayh

jewboy wrote: »
    The only change made to the car since its previous NCT was a new set of tyres apart from the two annual services. Of course an error could have been made at the NCT Centre but I'm no mechanic to query their test results. It helped me pass the test as far as I'm concerned.

Just be aware that your driving methods impacts on both fuel and engine performance which you have indicated as a change condition

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Tesco trucks use a similar product called Adblue (or something like that). lowers emissions and increase MPG, though I don't think its as noticeable as Diatine claims to be.

Adblue, is not really a fuel additive, its a urea based compound that Mercedes and a few others use to meet euro 5 emmisions levels.

I just purchased a container of Dipetane today and I'm going to trial it in a golf tdi for a few months. I'll let ye know how I get on...

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭deepspeed

pablo21 wrote: »
    Adblue, is not really a fuel additive, its a urea based compound that Mercedes and a few others use to meet euro 5 emmisions levels.

I just purchased a container of Dipetane today and I'm going to trial it in a golf tdi for a few months. I'll let ye know how I get on...

Hey,

deepspeed wrote: »
    Hey,

I got it in Bradshaws in Tullamore for a tenner. Not sure how many fill's that will do but I reckon maybe 5 or 6? Its a golf tdi and it did about 480 to 500 miles to a fill (€68 ish) before. I'll keep note over the coming weeks and see if it makes any difference.

You can buy it online at speedyparts

They do a 5 litre can of it too.. I've only had two fills so far so havent noticed anything yet.. stay tuned.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

pablo21 wrote: »
    You can buy it online at speedyparts

They do a 5 litre can of it too.. I've only had two fills so far so havent noticed anything yet.. stay tuned.

Pablo21, one year on have you noticed any difference in your mpg?

Does it outweight cost of additive?

Ta

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Does anyone know the carbon foot print of these additives ?

as how much energy does it take to make including all inputs ?

do you have to pay excise duty on fuel additives (is there a loop hole here)

how does it compare to additives added by fuel companies ?

especially how does it compare to ethanol / methanol in fuel ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 dufferboy

recently put my citroen c5 1.6hdi 05 with 267.000km up through the nct,it passed everything except the smoke test,i took it away and changed the air filter which was badly overdue and this is crucial to a diesel engine,i then put in 10 litres of diesel to a low tank and put in a double dose of dipitane,i drove it like i stole it for a week until almost all the fuel was gone,2 hours before the test i put in another 10 litres of diesel and a double dose of dipitane and drove it hard for an hour on the motorway,arrived at the test centre and luckily there was a tester waiting to take it in while it was still red hot,the original smoke reading was 3.96 and after 2 revs of the engine the new reading was 0.92,amazing stuff this diptane,this is the second time ive used this and will continue to use it each week at the normal dosage as it makes sure all the fuel is combusted in the chamber so no carbon builds up.does exactly what it says on the bottle,it comes in a 1 ltr bottle for around 12 or 13 euros or you can buy a 5 litre for around €35.00,well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

You drove hard for a week on 10 litres of diesel ???
    I gotta get me one of them ..! !

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dufferboy

i only live 10 mins walk from work so each night after work i would drive the car round the area until she was warm and then let her rip,maybe 10 km per night,is that okay for you?you missed the point of the blog completely,i only joined this to help people as others have been ripped off by garages who did the exact same as me and charged big money for doing it,there always one dipstick on these blogs,thats why i never subsribe to these pages,thanks a lot.i wont bother the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Sheesh, I wasn't having a go...
    I'd noticed you drive a high millage ,fuel efficent diesel.... And wondered was the 10 litre bit a missprint...
    I got the point of your post.. And moving on ....
    Does anyone know if dipeptane Does much for a petrol engine ... Nct approaching...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Rudy Jakma

Do not use Dipetane just before going to the NCT. Use it a (short) while before in order to clean the engine. I use it in a Morris Minor and am getting better than 50 mpg YES: fifty miles per gallon. Drove it from Westport, co. Mayo to Leixlip, Co. Kildare after filling the tank in Westport.
    I drove it around the local area, into Dublin city and back to Leixlip.
    Then to Dundalk where I topped up again. All on the same tank of petrol ! I never got better than about 38 mpg before.
    But when our 2000 reg "classic" Mini had to go for it's NCT I added a good dose of Dipetane to the tank. That was a mistake because although it does not damage the catalytic converter, it did change the fuel characteristics and therefore affected the emission readings.
    My mechanic told me to fill the tank again - it was 2/3 empty - and drive it around for a few days so that the Dipetane will be diluted and it's effects gone from the exhaust before going for a re-test.
    Otherwise I have no reason not to recommend it.
    All or nearly all automotive fuels have some additives. If they are effective, adding Dipetane may be superfluous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Naimless

Where can I get this stuff tonight

Where can I get this stuff tonight, in dublin 15

Got some thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Rudy Jakma

Dipetane is available in many petrol stations, also most motor factors sell it.
    I usually buy mine in a little shop in Bond Street, D8, right behind the Guinness brewery. That is because the owner of the shop (Gary) is always very honest and gives good service.
    So I like to recommend him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 lustforlife

My van failed emissions test with smoke billowing out the exhaust pipe, put Dipetane in 2 days before retest, hard drive over weekend, plenty revs, and it passed retest fine. Hope it helps others!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement