Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC announces Ice-Cream Sandwich upgradable phones

Options
  • 07-11-2011 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.facebook.com/notes/htc/announcing-the-first-wave-of-htc-devices-to-receive-upgrades-to-ice-cream-sandwi/10150518462703084
    HTC knows how excited our fans are to get their hands on Google's latest version of Android, Ice Cream Sandwich, so we're thrilled today to announce the first wave of HTC phones that will receive upgrades: We can confirm the brand new HTC Vivid, on sale beginning today, is upgradeable to Ice Cream Sandwich. In addition, Ice Cream Sandwich is coming in early 2012 to a variety of devices including the HTC Sensation, HTC Sensation XL and HTC Sensation XE, as well as the HTC Rezound, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO Design 4G and HTC Amaze 4G through close integration with our carrier partners. We're continuing to assess our product portfolio, so stay tuned for more updates on device upgrades, timing and other details about HTC and Ice Cream Sandwich.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

Think the relevant bit is
    close integration with our carrier partners

That might mean something has to be done at the operator level, which might not bode well for O2/meteor/3 as they aren't the big boys in the world (compared to Voda/ATT/TMobile)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

Meteor android phones are unlocked and unbranded from my experience and they get the standard HTC updates very quickly.

Maybe I was just lucky with mine though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

what matters is that it's going to be released for several different current model phones and with that will come custom roms for other phones. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

looks like I'm going back to custom roms. DesireHD isn't getting 4.0 according to their twitter apparently. kinda miffed because the galaxy S is getting it and from the same generation. I think its more a HTC being lazy thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    looks like I'm going back to custom roms. DesireHD isn't getting 4.0 according to their twitter apparently. kinda miffed because the galaxy S is getting it and from the same generation. I think its more a HTC being lazy thing.

Is it not the Galaxy S2 that's getting it, as opposed to the Galaxy S?
    Quite a difference between the S and S2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Heroditas wrote: »
    Is it not the Galaxy S2 that's getting it, as opposed to the Galaxy S?
    Quite a difference between the S and S2.

I don't think its been officially confirmed but many people online seem to think it'll be getting it because the Nexus S will be getting it and that is practically the same phone internally. I would'nt be so confident tbh but we can hope

Back on topic, shouldnt Desire S and Incredible S owners not feel a bit peeved of that they're mentioned in this? Those handsets are scarcely older than the Sensation, and are certainly up to runnung ICS..

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

I have a rooted sensation xe running a custom rom what will.I have to do to upgrade to ice cream sanwich

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I have a rooted sensation xe running a custom rom what will.I have to do to upgrade to ice cream sanwich

Go back to stock or wait for an ICS custom rom (Which will almost definitely before the official one gets released)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I don't think its been officially confirmed but many people online seem to think it'll be getting it because the Nexus S will be getting it and that is practically the same phone internally. I would'nt be so confident tbh but we can hope

Back on topic, shouldnt Desire S and Incredible S owners not feel a bit peeved of that they're mentioned in this? Those handsets are scarcely older than the Sensation, and are certainly up to runnung ICS..

The Desire S/Incredible S were just rehashes of the original phones and are not remotely close spec wise to the Sensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The chip in the Desire S has a higher benchmark than that in the Galaxy S, though. By proxy, it has a higher benchmark than the Nexus S. That means its surely up to running ICS. I didnt realise a dual core chip was a necessity to run ICS.. Google have said any phone capable of running Gingerbread can run ICS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Woohoo I be getting it so. :)

here's a full list of all android devices that are going to get it: http://www.engadget.com/updates/which-devices-will-get-ice-cream-sandwich/

seems like they're adding/removing phones to the list as they find stuff out, so i don't think it's definitive just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

No sign of the Desire HD on that list !!!! Wtf

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    yep, also very disappointed here, but once it's out i imagine there will be custom ICS roms before too long (fingers crossed).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

vibe666 wrote: »
    LFC Murphy wrote: »
    yep, also very disappointed here, but once it's out i imagine there will be custom ICS roms before too long (fingers crossed).
    Wouldn't a custom rom be all we want,not going to be on stock for long or am I missing something?

yep, it would just happen a lot quicker if they created a stock ICS ROM for the DHD for the modders to work from.

Advertisement