Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes A140. Opinions?

Options
  • 02-03-2008 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Anyone own one? Economical? Reliable? Driving comfort?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You mentioning A140 means it is the previous model A-class. I've driven a good few of them. The long wheel base versions have an incredible amount of rear leg space, but that's about the only positive thing I have to say about them. Harsh ride. Feels like a van. Feels cheap. Unworthy of the 3-pointed star to be honest

How about an Audi A2 instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have to agree with Unkel here, a Golf or something would be better and would have a better image. the A Class is a bit of a joke, nobody considers it a real Merc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

My Sack is a better car than an A Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

is that your sack talking now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

My Sack cant talk man......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    My Sack is a better car than an A Class.

+1

A Class is a crock of sh1t!

To echo some comments made about the Renault Laguna; the car is fine apart from its electrics and mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The missus bought a new one in 01. I liked it a lot. A few issues here and there but by far the worst aspect was the dreadfull treatment from the dealer.

At some stage when it was in getting work one for alternator trouble a fuse was blowing and something like a thick paperclip was wrapped around the fuse and it was shoved back in ( I noticed it months later when changing a different fuse, it was sticking out a good bit.

I didnt see her for a few months between when she got it and when we got together, but quite a bit of dealer related shenanigans happened in between that I'd have run amoke over had I been around. The alternator problem was on going but their solution was to bill her and charge he battery 2 or 3 times, then try to hold the car when she eventually refused to pay anymore which is when I'm assumign the fuse issue was attempted to "fix" the problem. They eventually admitted defeat and changed the alternator but either forgot abotu their fuse trick or didnt care. That fuse caused the car to intermittantly cut out when driving and/or lose the power steering when cornering. (I know this was the cause because when I looked into it and changed he fuse it fixed it, but it had obviously done something else as the fuse blew again).

If they'd have done their job in the first place and replaced the alternator, none of the crap would have come up.

I always liked driving it though, loads of room and very comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Anyone own one? Economical? Reliable? Driving comfort?

Economical? Yes, reasonably so I think

Reliable? Not bad as modern cars go. They are very simple compared to their bigger stablemates so there is a lot less to go wrong.

Driving comfort? Depends on your driving style. If it is driven in a moderate manner it is quite comfortable. If driven in a more sporting manner it is too soft and becomes tiring. I am not a fan of small cars in general but The A class is quite practical. The high driving position will appeal to many.

Don’t mind the talking ball sacks, image conscious and dealer reviews, not so sure they address the questions you asked at all. (Though I tend to agree with the dealer review in very general terms)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

My wife has one. She loves it, great high driving position. The ride is a bit harsh though. I'm always afraid the exhaust is about to fall off. The doors are very long, it's something to be aware of parking at high kerbs, obstacles etc..
    Economywise it's pretty good thank God, petrol is a shocking price in France. €1.35 at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

A friend of mine bought an A140 as an economy measure. He was drawn to the fact it was a Merc (he'd had a couple of bigger ones), the economy and the fact it was an auto.

More or less from the moment he put it on his drive he regretted it. Sure it didn't get through much petrol but it had very little else to recommend it. Interior wasn't particularly "premium", ride wasn't great and it's not *that* spacious inside. He was sick of it after a couple of months but it took forever to sell it.

OP - as with any car look at why you are thinking of buying it? High driving position? Maybe a mini-MPV would suit better. Small town car? Lots of better, more comfortable and more economical ones around. Prestige badge? Fine but that will involve other compromises. The A140 has very little that sets it apart from other cars, that makes it a good buy in it's own right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking for something with a high driving position and smallish engine. I have a Pajero Junior which I love but it's 11 years old and it's time for an upgrade (although it's the best car I've ever owned!). I've considered the Suzuki Jimny (too ugly!) and the Daihatsu Terios (too cheap looking - although the latest models are lovely). 4 doors would be good but not completely necessary. About 10k to spend. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Just because a car is 11 years old doesn't mean you have to change it, if it runs and you're happy why not just keep it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

I've been driving it for seven years now which I think is rather a long time to drive a car! How many people here change their car every year?!! I just think it's time for a change.

Advertisement