Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've No Degree!? What Will I Do?!? Help!

• 28-08-2014 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm 26 and I've been unemployed for the last few years. I stayed at home to take care of my ill father who was in and out of hospital on a regular basis. Recently, my brother has offered to help out so my father has gone to live with him and his wife where he will receive full time professional care. However, now I am here alone - getting on a bit - with no degree - no experience - and from what I can see, very few options. :(

I signed up for a distance learning Business Studies degree but I feel that when I finish in two years I may be too old for others to take me on so I thought about dropping it and going into banking and working my way up while doing the IoB or LIA programmes. Is this a realistic option or have I completely lost my mind?! My reasoning for this is that if I'm involved with these banking programmes I could realistically convince an institution to take me on now in some capacity (whatever that may be) which would be better (in my mind) than wasting another two years and coming out with a Business Studies degree. I want to work now - not in two years.

I consider myself an intelligent guy that has a lot to offer but I need some guidance on my next goals because, right now, it seems I'm wandering around with the lights off. I get up at 7am every morning and until 12am I'm glued to the computer trying to weight up what to do next employment wise. I think I'm going to have a nervous breakdown with the worry of it all. Any input?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

26 is certainly not old ! People change careers and start over in something new in life all the time, even in their 40's and 50's. Many people would see an older person as an advantage, not a disadvantage. They might start at entry level wages as well, but they'll probably move up a bit faster, as they can usually be relied upon more and given a bit more responsibility due to their life experience.

No. 1 advice would be above all else, don't worry - finish your studies, enjoy them for the sake of knowledge. Business studies is a nice broad degree that can be used for loads of things. You can also do other course when you finish. You've plenty of time.

If Business studies is not for you, switch now to something else, it's no big deal.

If you don't enjoy something, don't worry, get out and do something else.

Above all else study/learn/work at what you enjoy, the rest will fall into place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

You have many options, don't worry.

There are multiple ways to return to education. You can go back as a mature student, a Springboard course, Jobs bridge etc.

I think would benefit to talk to someone about your situation, there should be a local employment officer or someone similar in your area that can really help you weigh up your options and set you on the right track.

There are thousands of people in your situation, people do not realise how many options/opportunities exist until they start looking and ask for abit of guidance. The entire system is set up to help people not hold them back (although it might seem like that sometimes).

Good luck, you'll find your way if you keep looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

I really wouldn't worry - I think most employers will absolutely respect your recent employment and experience as a carer - which counts :).

Re having a primary degree it's sometimes a "pre-req" for some jobs in large companies but there are usually professional paths like that you mention in banking, accounting etc where people earn professional qualifications as they gain experience. In any case if those employers are worth working for they'll waive those 'requirements' for the right candidate - someone with the right skills and attitude in my experience.

Whatever you do I'd remember doing a degree in a field dosen't lock you into that field or exclude you from any other. My current (IT) employer has graduates in business studies, arts history and classics, and even , God Help US - qualified accountants. A good few to my knowledge don't have third level degrees but have certs or diplomas in different fields. If I'd the time back I'd have done a degree in something more fun - can't think of many instances a qualification in business studies really qualified me to do a job.

Good luck!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Paddy_Whackery

Do professional qualifications such as diplomas etc carry decent employability on their own or are they primarily to complement a Bachelor?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

I believe so - that is in professions and industries which have a strong culture of professional development. I can speak for IT, marketing, HR and accounting having worked in the first three and knowing lots of people in the fourth.

A lot of people in my experience later 'upgrade' a 'general' primary degree in arts or business etc with a professional qualification that relates to the business or profession they end up working in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rog871

26 is not old. I know 50+ year olds who recently graduated from a 4 year IT course and are now working in that sector. You are never too old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Firstly - don't spend all day in front of the computer. That'll just wreck your head. Make sure that each day you leave the house for at least a couple of hours, and do something. Play sport. Go for a walk. Do some voluntary work for someone (look up www.volunteer.ie).

Second, have you ever worked outside the home? Have you been applying for jobs at all? Have you got any contacts through family etc, who might be able to help you find a job, any job, to get some real work experience?

I wouldn't stress about not having a degree: at 26 your're nowhere near over the hill.

Maybe go and visit Fas (now called Solas), and see what suggestions they have for you. If you're college material, they may not be much help. But they're likely to point you to something practical. And if you get to 30, and have a degree but no practical work experience at all, I'd see that as a real barrier to getting a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Firstly - don't spend all day in front of the computer. That'll just wreck your head. Make sure that each day you leave the house for at least a couple of hours, and do something. Play sport. Go for a walk. Do some voluntary work for someone (look up www.volunteer.ie).

I second this.

I volunteer with mentally challenged adults. We run a social club on wednesday evenings, we could use more volunteers, its' 2-3 hours of your time, but it's a massive deal for the club members. PM if you're interested.

Also, don't neglect other volunteer organisations, like the Civil Defence (I'm a member), the Reserve Defence Forces, Order of Malta, Coast Guard, Garda Reserve etc. They'll all teach you valuable skills for nothing but your time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Without hijacking the thread, is there a good career advice/guidance counselor in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

However, now I am here alone - getting on a bit - with no degree - no experience - and from what I can see, very few options.
    26 is getting on a bit?!? Jaysus, there’s no hope for any of us so!

Calm down – you have plenty of options. I wouldn’t worry too much about not having a degree – a lot of rubbish is spoken these days about a degree being the minimum requirement for most jobs. It’s complete nonsense.

And of course you have experience! It may not be completely relevant to what you want to do in future, but it’s still experience.
    I want to work now - not in two years.
    Then my advice would be to work now. If you’re only doing the BS degree for the sake of getting a degree (which is how it reads to me), then I wouldn’t bother. Get out there and start working and if you find at some point in the future that you need a particular qualification to move up, then worry about it then.
    I consider myself an intelligent guy that has a lot to offer but I need some guidance on my next goals because, right now, it seems I'm wandering around with the lights off. I get up at 7am every morning and until 12am I'm glued to the computer trying to weight up what to do next employment wise. I think I'm going to have a nervous breakdown with the worry of it all. Any input?
    You’re procrastinating and over-thinking things way too much. You’re acting like the next choice you make is absolutely critical and it will male or break you.

It won’t. So stop putting so much pressure on yourself and just get out there and start working. At anything. I guess some sort of office-based role would be best if it’s finance you want to get into. Have you contacted temping agencies? Can you type? Are you computer-literate? Can you use standard software packages like Word and Excel? If so, you shouldn’t have too much trouble getting a temp position somewhere. If not, then start brushing up on those skills! Right now, the most important thing for you is to demonstrate that you can hold down a job. If you turn out to be good at it and demonstrate enthusiasm, you'd be surprised how quickly you can progress and start earning decent money. But, you have to start somewhere.

Once you’re working, you can be thinking about your next move. Temping would also give you the opportunity to network and see what the culture is like in different offices. This will help you in deciding exactly what it is you want to do next – you don’t have the information to make that decision right now, so stop worrying about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Threads merged.

Paddy_Whackery, please don't start the same thread in multiple forums, it makes us all confused!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Business degree + professional certifications is better than business degree or professional certifications. Get them both.

26 isn't old at all.

I recommend the following:

* Finish your degree.
    * Start a fitness regime.
    * Take up meditation. (Check out "headspace" online).
    * Get some kind of part-time job or volunteer thing.

You'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Business degree + professional certifications is better than business degree or professional certifications. Get them both.

26 isn't old at all.

I recommend the following:

* Finish your degree.
    * Start a fitness regime.
    * Take up meditation. (Check out "headspace" online).
    * Get some kind of part-time job or volunteer thing.

You'll be grand.

Excellent advice, although I would add that there is no reason you cannot get a full time job. Doing an online or distance learning degree whilst working full time is doable if you have no other calls on your time. That means in 2 years you will have your degree, and 2 years good work experience under your belt.

Advertisement