Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pug forPresent

Options
  • 04-06-2010 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I have a honest question, what are the chance of me finding a pug puppy around Ireland for a price of around €300. (non-puppy farm, IKC REG and all that) Its actually as a present for my girlfriend. She is obsessed with them (even has books, and calenders on them) but has never had one. The problem is they are so expensive that we cant really afford to get one. Even €400 might be OK but that's my limit unfortunately. Maybe i haven't a hope but taught I'd ask anyway.

Sorry If this is posted in wrong area, was only animal related threads i could find. thanks

Comments

Not exactly an expert but won't vet fee's etc possibly dwarf the cost of purchasing the dog? If you can't afford one it might be time to start saving until you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Probably very little chance.
    These dogs go anywhere from 700-1200 euro so you will not get one for 300 im afraid and if you do there should be alarm bells ringing as they will probably be dodgy breeders so be very ver careful where you get the pup from.

If you really have your heart set on one then i would suggest saving the money and research your breeder properly first and it could be a while before a good litter of pups come along anyway so you might have plenty of time to save for one.

Try contacting these people and enquire about puppies or they might have some that need rehoming which might not cost you the same price as a puppy.
    http://www.clodanapugs.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'd say no hope, you could try ringing around the rescues to see if they have any in, but to be honest if you can't afford to buy one, can you really afford to have one?
    If you do find one, they are prone to a lot of health problems so insurance is a must. That can cost up to €200 a year(maybe more depends on breed), then there's food, Vaccinations, kenneling fee's if you go away.
    Either wait a while, try the rescues, or try another type of dog.
    Sorry I know thats probably not what you want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Carrolli

Yeah i know what your saying. but vet fees are do-able on a month to month basis. i probably should have mentioned that the reason is, that I'm looking to get one in next 2 months. Anyway this is just an inquiry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

They're cheaper if they're not registered, but to be honest if I'm buying a dog, it should be registered.
    Looking online the cheapest I can see IKC reg pups is 500 and even then you'd need to be so careful about what you're getting.

Also, pugs *can* have a lot of health issues, so you have to take into account vets bills.
    On top of that are vaccination fees, microchipping (if it's not already done), boosters, food, toys, bedding. And all the patience & training needed for a pup.

I'm not trying to put you off, but just sometimes people only see the fee of buying the pup and not all the aftercare/ongoing care needed that will cost a lot. And you'd be advised to get insurance on the dog too. You need to make sure that all these costs (and care) can be covered before you buy the pup.
    And that your gf does in fact want a pup right now, they're a big time commitment, and require lots of attention especially at the beginning, toilet / other training. And that she can afford to feed/look after it.

If you guys feel you can afford all of this, and have the time to look after a pup, then maybe wait another while and save up to buy a decent pug, and in the mean time you can be investigating online or through the IKC for a decent breeder and can be reading up on puppy care. I'm not trying to sound patronising, but sometimes people just think 'oh I can afford to buy the pup' and then can't afford to keep it, or look after it, even if it seems like a wonderful idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Vet costs do-able from month to month?

A friend of mine has a pug, her vet bills amount to the excess of 10 grand and the dog is only 2 years old. He's had a collapsed voice box, his eye popped out of his socket (!!!) whilst playing and so on... He comes from a reputable breeder and parents had all health test done.
    :(

Carrolli wrote: »
    Yeah i know what your saying. but vet fees are do-able on a month to month basis. i probably should have mentioned that the reason is, that I'm looking to get one in next 2 months. Anyway this is just an inquiry.

You cant just expect to have a dog like that in the next 2 months. Pedigree dogs should be researched and as i said, it could mean waiting months for the right litter.
    Reputable breeders dont breed too much and most of the time theres a waiting list for pups.

Please do not rush out and buy a cheap dog as the chances are you are in for a lifetime of trouble if you do, and you will only end up paying an even bigger price with vet bills and heart ache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I'm afraid, as everyone else has said, I don't think that you'll find a healthy pug for that kind of money. As far as i know there is no pug rescue group in Ireland, but there is one in the UK. I doubt that they'd rehome to you, but maybe you could sponsor a dog for a while? They might do a kind of gift package thing that you could give your girlfriend and she could be sponsoring a particular dog.

http://www.pugwelfare-rescue.org.uk/pdwra_index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Yeah, most pugs are about €700-1000 like someone said. If they're less then they might be sick or not be purebred or be from a puppy farm.

Why don't you talk to your girlfriend and say you were thinking of getting her a puppy and ask if she would like one and then you can both look at breeds and try to find a good breeder in the next two months, if she wants one. There are loads of nice breeds that you could get for €300-400 and I'm sure she'd love them :)

Or if she really wants a pug, then maybe save up and try to find one for her next birthday?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Carrolli

K thanks all for such quick reply's, there is lot of good info here. We are well aware of all the health issue that come with this breed of dog and will take all your points on board. i noticed that there are a lot of pug cross breeds out there to. Does anyone know if these have a lot of the health issue's that come with the pure breed.

• Advertisement

Carrolli wrote: »
    K thanks all for such quick reply's, there is lot of good info here. We are well aware of all the health issue that come with this breed of dog and will take all your points on board. i noticed that there are a lot of pug cross breeds out there to. Does anyone know if these have a lot of the health issue's that come with the pure breed.

Please do not buy one of these cross breeds. These are bred by people who do not have the dogs welfare at heart and only do it to line their pockets.

Most of the time dogs are not health tested etc so they are breeding unhealthy dogs which are then passed oon to the pups, so more often than not these cross breeds inherit both health problems from both parents.

The IKC does not allow to intentionally cross breed two breeds so anyone doing so are only doing it to make money so please, please, do not buy one of these so called designer cross breeds, ahain, you are looking for trouble and only encouraging bad breeding by dodgy breeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

You won't be able to buy a healthy, IKC registered pug on the cheap. They are expensive for a reason, and this is mainly beacuse they are difficult to breed. I'm fairly sure that this has a lot to do with the fact that the pups need to be delivered by cesarian section.

We have a pug and he's a great little dog - full of character. As suggested above, you would be better off saving the money and in the meantime research the breed and contact the IKC about reputable breeders. Typically you may have to wait on a litter as there are not too many breeders about.

I know nothing about pug crosses, and this is exactly why I wouldn't go near them. They seem to be bred for all the wrong reasons and I would doubt that the breeders have the best interests of the dogs' health at heart. It is definitely a money making excercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Oh God they're filthy looking rats.
    "Fashionable" dogs attract fashionable prices and will ultimately just drop out of fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

You should just get a cocker spaniel, my wife got me one as a 30th birthday present and they're great pets to have and my pure breed little lady was only €350.

enda1 wrote: »
    Oh God they're filthy looking rats.
    "Fashionable" dogs attract fashionable prices and will ultimately just drop out of fashion.

Thats not a nice thing to say, just because you dont like them, theres no need to say a horrible thing like that. Each to their own.

andreac wrote: »
    Thats not a nice thing to say, just because you dont like them, theres no need to say a horrible thing like that. Each to their own.

I don't think the dogs mind. Surely they're aware of their rodent similarities, no?

enda1 wrote: »
    Him? Huh?

I don't think the dogs mind. Surely they're aware of their rodent similarities, no?

:confused:

:confused:

Sorry I read "them" as "him" :pac:, I'll change it now.

Still not a nice thing to say about an animal, no dog is a filthy looking rat.

Right guys, report post button is there for usage.
    Enda1 I suggest you have a quick read of the charter & get to grips with the forum before coming in making unhelpful comments. Whether or not you like pugs/pug crosses has nothing whatsoever to do with the OPs post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

olaola wrote: »

Please dont go out actively looking for a cross, please read my reply as posted below from earlier:

"Please do not buy one of these cross breeds. These are bred by people who do not have the dogs welfare at heart and only do it to line their pockets.

Most of the time dogs are not health tested etc so they are breeding unhealthy dogs which are then passed oon to the pups, so more often than not these cross breeds inherit both health problems from both parents.

The IKC does not allow to intentionally cross breed two breeds so anyone doing so are only doing it to make money so please, please, do not buy one of these so called designer cross breeds, ahain, you are looking for trouble and only encouraging bad breeding by dodgy breeders."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Please dont go out actively looking for a cross, please read my reply as posted below from earlier:

"Please do not buy one of these cross breeds. These are bred by people who do not have the dogs welfare at heart and only do it to line their pockets.

The IKC does not allow to intentionally cross breed two breeds so anyone doing so are only doing it to make money so please, please, do not buy one of these so called designer cross breeds, ahain, you are looking for trouble and only encouraging bad breeding by dodgy breeders."

You obviously didn't read my post.
    And I completely disagree. I personally would never buy a pure breed, or even buy a dog from a breeder. And I would actively advocate rescuing mongrels from the pound. He might find some pug cross if he rings around the pounds/rescue charities.

I didnt mean that, i meant dont go out looking for so called breeders of these designer breeds so sorry if i mis understood you.

Thread is over a year old and not active.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement