Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid fuel boiler

Options
  • 23-10-2013 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi folks, looking for some advice please. We are looking to install a solid fuel boiler and I was wondering had anybody done the same? Are they worth the money? Also what company is the best to go with. We would need a large 25kw boiler.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Damien

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 francisj132

If your looking for a solid fuel boiler i would recommend SAS as they are award winning and they come with a 5 year guarantee. We have one installed in our house and its costing us less than €2/day for constant hot water and were put out of the house with heat :) I found SAS through Facebook, this Irish company stock them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rock Bottom 25

Hi francisj132,

We are currently installing a 30KW SAS solid fuel boiler. Just wondering what type of fuel are you burning and in what quantities. We have about 30yrds of turf to burn for this winter but everyone is reccommending that we burn a mixture of turf and kiln dried timber.

Any advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Latro

30KW? I have 200sqm house and my 19KW Boiler is way oversized. It heats up whole house to 21 degrees and then 1000L of buffer tank in about 5 hours from scratch and than just sits in sustain mode which is not good(wasted fuel+lots of sludge in the flue).
    14-15KW would be the maximum size I'd go for if I had to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rock Bottom 25

Latro wrote: »
    30KW? I have 200sqm house and my 19KW Boiler is way oversized. It heats up whole house to 21 degrees and then 1000L of buffer tank in about 5 hours from scratch and than just sits in sustain mode which is not good(wasted fuel+lots of sludge in the flue).

It is a 29th apologies. House is 2500 sq foot. 22 rads all doubles. It was sized by our plumber who did say that it was a bit oversized but not by much. How much fuel do you burn through in a day.

Works out about 13kg of coal/day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 jamie2000

I have a 30kw gasification boiler with a 2000 liter buffer tank it's my first year with it so still learning about but it dose use a lot of timber.just wondering how long dose your buffer tank last and what temperature do you reach

My buffer tank is enough for about 5-6 hours of constant heat when temperature is near 0 outside. It would cool down to about 30 degrees.

My buffer tank is enough for about 5-6 hours of constant heat when temperature is near 0 outside. It would cool down to about 30 degrees.

Yea about the same as mine.what speed have you set the circulation pump is it better on fast or slow.what temperature have you set the boiler at when burning is it ordinary radiators in your house I have a few solo radiators.

I'm not an expert but I think the speed should be set as low as posible to keep almost all of the surface of the the radiator warm so there is enough time to radiate the heat out.
    If you set it too fast the return will be hot and will mix with cold water on the bottom of the buffer.
    At the moment my pump says 1.2m(per minute? not sure here) and it consumes 9W of energy. The return pipe should be relatively cold.

My boiler is set to heat up the buffer to 78 degrees from top to bottom before it goes to "sleep" mode but the the mixing valve on the exit of the buffer to rads is set a lot lower.
    I'm not sure here since it is installed with indicator to the wall but it seems not higher than 40 degrees.

I have in total 13 good quality double rads. 4 tall towel rail radiators in bathrooms/toilet but these are throttled down since they radiate heat poorly.

I'm not an expert but I think the speed should be set as low as posible to keep almost all of the surface of the the radiator warm so there is enough time to radiate the heat out.
    If you set it too fast the return will be hot and will mix with cold water on the bottom of the buffer.
    At the moment my pump says 1.2m(per minute? not sure here) and it consumes 9W of energy. The return pipe should be relatively cold.

My boiler is set to heat up the buffer to 78 degrees from top to bottom before it goes to "sleep" mode but the the mixing valve on the exit of the buffer to rads is set a lot lower.
    I'm not sure here since it is installed with indicator to the wall but it seems not higher than 40 degrees.

I have in total 13 good quality double rads. 4 tall towel rail radiators in bathrooms/toilet but these are throttled down since they radiate heat poorly.

I have about the same amount of radiators.i had my pump turned up high but I turned it down again.iam still learning about but I am happy enough I must install a controller to control each stat independently of each other to make the system more efficient.i must do a proper test with my buffer tank to see how long it lasts it should be good since its a 2000 litre tank.what fuel are you using and are you using much of it.

• Advertisement

Pea coal, cost me about 600 euro for 6 months of heating/hot water.

Pea coal, cost me about 600 euro for 6 months of heating/hot water.

I got some singles yesterday I was impressed with the heat and time it last lasted in the boiler.do you ever use timber.iam trying coal with timber and I just left the primer air for gasification adjusted for the timber since I am only using a few shovels of coal

I did but only with left overs I had from my building site. It kept me going for 1 month.
    I little too much hassle with timber so I switched to coal full time since I refuel once every 2 weeks with it.

Advertisement