Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What weekly tickets are available on Irish Rail?

Options
  • 09-09-2013 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

I have been searching the Irish Rail website but I must be thick or tired cos I can't find the info I need.

Is there such thing as a weekly student ticket? Or weekly tickets that are good for 2 journeys a day as that's all I need. Will be travelling from Coolmine to Drumcondra.

Would be great if someone can tell me or point me in the right direction!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

rawn wrote: »
    I have been searching the Irish Rail website but I must be thick or tired cos I can't find the info I need.

Is there such thing as a weekly student ticket? Or weekly tickets that are good for 2 journeys a day as that's all I need. Will be travelling from Coolmine to Drumcondra.

Would be great if someone can tell me or point me in the right direction!

Main link re student tickets: http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=118&n=279

Easy enough to find, there is a navigation tab called Fares and Tickets. When you click on that there are a list of categories down the left, one of which is Students.

Check at Coolmine or Drumcondra ticket offices for your cheapest option, they will be able to tell you. Your choice would be a student rail ticket in either weekly or monthly form, or buying an adult return daily, or using a Leap card for each journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Coolmine to Drumcondra the cheapest thing to do is get an adult weekly to Drumcondra from Coolmine. The student weekly ticket will either be the same price or more expensive and gives Irish Rail the chance to fine you to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

It would make sense to speak directly to an Irish Rail person in any case! We here can only advise, not give you the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,283 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=118&n=198
    Ticket Fare
    Leap Card / Iarnrod Eireann Smart Card €1.95
    Adult Single €2.40
    Adult Day Return €4.30
    Adult 7 Day Rolling Rail €21.20
    Adult 3 Day Rolling Rail €12.50
    Child Single €1.45
    Child Day Return €2.50
    Schoolchild Smart Card Single* €0.70
    Scholar Smart Card Single* €1.40

http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/fares_matrix_2013.php
    Fares quoted effective from December 1st 2012., fares marked ??.?? exist but exact fare is unknown.

Ticket Type Inner Short Hop Rail Short Hop Rail
    Adult 7 Day €32.50 €37.00
    Adult Monthly - €122.00
    Student 7 Day €23.50 €25.00
    Student Monthly - €80.00

Inner Short Hop: Rush & Lusk, Maynooth, Hazelhatch & Celbridge, Bray
    Short Hop: Balbriggan, M3 Parkway, Maynooth, Hazelhatch & Celbridge and Kilcoole

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Thanks everyone! So it counts as "short hop"? That's grand as it seems much cheaper and I wouldn't need any additional train trips during the week at all. Does anyone know what the "rolling rail" is? I'm guessing it means 3 consecutive days?

Had an awful time navigating the site, I found lists of tickets with no prices and kept getting the journey type wrong. (intercity, commuter, DART, etc)

I don't get the train often. Gawd I hate trains :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Then get a point-to-point ticket from Coolmine to Drumcondra - as listed above the 7 day ticket costs €21.20.

And yes the days are consecutive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Thanks everyone! So it counts as "short hop"? That's grand as it seems much cheaper and I wouldn't need any additional train trips during the week at all. Does anyone know what the "rolling rail" is? I'm guessing it means 3 consecutive days?

Had an awful time navigating the site, I found lists of tickets with no prices and kept getting the journey type wrong. (intercity, commuter, DART, etc)

I don't get the train often. Gawd I hate trains :P
    While the 7 day rolling rail would probably be the cheapest option for you it only allows travel between Coolmine and Drumcondra, If you pay a couple of euro more you can have unlimited inner short hop travel for 7 days. Also you will need to have your student travelcard to avail of the student ticket prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,283 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thanks everyone! So it counts as "short hop"?
    No, you only need the cheaper "Inner Short Hop" or one of the cheaper tickets.
    That's grand as it seems much cheaper and I wouldn't need any additional train trips during the week at all.
    Not even the occasional trip to the city centre? If buying a point-to-point ticket, consider getting a Clonsilla-Pearse ticket.

Ticket Fare
    Leap Card / Iarnrod Eireann Smart Card €2.30
    Adult Single €2.80
    Adult Day Return €5.25
    Adult 7 Day Rolling Rail €23.50
    Adult 3 Day Rolling Rail €13.90
    Child Single €1.45
    Child Day Return €2.50
    Schoolchild Smart Card Single* €0.70
    Scholar Smart Card Single* €1.40

Do you make any bus trips?
    Does anyone know what the "rolling rail" is? I'm guessing it means 3 consecutive days?
    The 'rolling' bit means it can start on any day of the week - it doesn't have to start on Monday.

Your weekly adult ticket to go Coolmine-Drumcondra only will cost €21.20 while a student inner short hop ticket allowing unlimited rail travel in the inner short hop area costs €23.50. Getting the weekly student ticket would be worthwhile if you only made one trip extra on the dart or commuter train.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Your weekly adult ticket to go Coolmine-Drumcondra only will cost €21.20 while a student inner short hop ticket allowing unlimited rail travel in the inner short hop area costs €23.50. Getting the weekly student ticket would be worthwhile if you only made one trip extra on the dart or commuter train.

Fantastic, yeah makes sense to go for the 23.50 one, see I generally cycle everywhere so wasn't too worried about additional journeys but sure, might as well! Thanks everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

What is considered a short rail hop on the DART?

Thinking of buying a monthly ticket!

The Short Hop Zone is bounded by Balbriggan, Howth, Kilcoole, Maynooth, M3 Parkway and Hazelhatch.

Dublin region ticket zones explained

The pricing structure and validity of many weekly, monthly and annual tickets is expressed on a zonal basis in the Greater Dublin Region. Tickets are valid for all journeys within specified zone. The details of these zones is not available in recent timetables for reasons unknown.
    Zone List

Inner Short Hop: Rush & Lusk, Maynooth, Hazelhatch & Celbridge, Bray
    (Outer) Short Hop: Balbriggan, M3 Parkway, Maynooth, Hazelhatch & Celbridge, Kilcoole (All Luas and Dublin Bus services are within this zone)
    Medium Hop: Gormanston, Kilcock and Sallins & Naas
    Long Hop: Drogheda, Enfield, Kildare and Wicklow
    Giant Hop: Dundalk, Mullingar, Tullamore, Portlaoise, Carlow and Gorey

Fares for the Short Hop zone may be found here Tickets are issued as rail only or a combination of rail/bus/luas
    http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/ticketing.php#ticket_zones

Thanks guys. I know these are really simple questions but this is all new to me so just trying to find my feet.

So am I right in saying that me travelling between raheny killester or clontarf to pearse or grand canal is covered under the umbrella of 'short hop' ?

Yes that is correct, but you do have another cheaper option.

If all you are going to do is to travel within Raheny and Grand Canal Dock, you can get a 7 day ticket that gives you unlimited travel between those two stations, and any stations in between.

Go to this page, enter the appropriate stations and the fare options will come up:

Ah thanks for the info. Think I'll do that.

Advertisement