Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aircoach Airport route stops

Options
  • 27-03-2013 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Just wondering will the Aircoach out of Dublin Airport drop off a passenger at Whitehall Church if they request it ? Or is Quinns in Drumcondra the only place where you can get off early in the route ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

1st stop is Quinns.

Dublin Bus routes 16 and 41 will take you from the Airport to Whitehall Church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Thanks for the reply. Would the drivers be strict on that or if a pretty Brazilian chick asked nicely would they stop for her ? Probably something to do with their route licence but worth a punt ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No that's it I'm afraid.

Is getting a Dublin Bus that bad lol?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

RATM wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Would the drivers be strict on that or if a pretty Brazilian chick asked nicely would they stop for her ? Probably something to do with their route licence but worth a punt ?

Well.......

If you ask the the guy selling aircoach tickets outside the airport nicely, he might have a word with the driver :D

Worth a try, you can always get the Dublin Bus 16 if he won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Just wondering will the Aircoach out of Dublin Airport drop off a passenger at Whitehall Church if they request it ? Or is Quinns in Drumcondra the only place where you can get off early in the route ?

I've no doubt but that a flash of pearly whites from a bronzed Brazillian face will assist the Aircoach decision making process.
    ( I think it's actually scientifically proven :) )

However,at the end of the day it is a Luxury Airport EXPRESS service they are marketing,with some of the other passengers actually having selected it on that basis,ie: direct rapid City Centre access.

It's kinda ironic that whilst DublinBus is working towards simplifying the Airports 16 route,and reducing it's journey times,we now find an example of somebody wanting to turn an obvious Express Service into a Stage Carriage one....:confused:

But hey...we're Irish and these terms mean something else altogether here...;)

Sometimes,I feel sorry for the NTA,as they attempt to put some sense of order on us Transport wise.... :p

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

AlekSmart wrote: »

But hey...we're Irish and these terms mean something else altogether here...;)

That's what I love about being Irish and living in Ireland, flexibility to bend the rules on occasion.

Thanks for the replies lads, I will tell her to flash her Brazilian smile and hopefully they'll let her off at Whitehall rather than going all the way to Drumcondra and back to Whitehall (she bought a Aircoach ticket as part of a Ryanair ticket so wants to get the value out of it)

I get what people are saying about the express service though at the same time Whithall and surrounds has a population of a good 20-30,000 people so in some ways it does make sense to stop there. But I guess it is all down to the route license that the NTA give Aircoach at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

That's what I love about being Irish and living in Ireland, flexibility to bend the rules on occasion.

Thanks for the replies lads, I will tell her to flash her Brazilian smile and hopefully they'll let her off at Whitehall rather than going all the way to Drumcondra and back to Whitehall (she bought a Aircoach ticket as part of a Ryanair ticket so wants to get the value out of it)

If she flashed her Brazilian smile at you, would you not go pick her up or throw her the cab fare :)

I get what people are saying about the express service though at the same time Whithall and surrounds has a population of a good 20-30,000 people so in some ways it does make sense to stop there. But I guess it is all down to the route license that the NTA give Aircoach at the end of the day.

All well and good,but it could be argued that defining "being Irish" as an ability to bend rules,when and where ever somebody felt it useful,was stretched right out until it brought The Irish to our present state.

Whilst Whitehall/Santry is densely populated and Airport hinterland,it's also decently served by the type of service appropriate to it's location.

The issue,for me,isn't about flashing pearlies and hoping to get a nod,but a reluctance to see any point in the reasons behind Express vs Stage Carriage in the first place.

Mind you,it's equally apparent in our own attitudes to providing such services,when we continually add on extra stops to supposed Express Services until they eventually lose the customer-base they originally targeted,those folk looking for direct,rapid Express Service and prepared to PAY a premium For it !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

If she flashed her Brazilian smile at you, would you not go pick her up or throw her the cab fare :)

:D Well she is staying with me over in Charlestown, Finglas so I am picking her up in Whitehall (hopefully) to save her going all the way into town on the Aircoach and then back out again on the 140. It's handier for me to pick her up in Whitehall than it is Drumcondra. I'd actually pick her up at the airport but she's insisting on using her Aircoach ticket, bit daft really but who am I to argue with a hot Brazilian chick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

^ Explain to her what a 'sunk cost' is and pick her up at the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

:D Well she is staying with me over in Charlestown, Finglas so I am picking her up in Whitehall (hopefully) to save her going all the way into town on the Aircoach and then back out again on the 140. It's handier for me to pick her up in Whitehall than it is Drumcondra. I'd actually pick her up at the airport but she's insisting on using her Aircoach ticket, bit daft really but who am I to argue with a hot Brazilian chick :D

Women :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, the M1 motorway starts just a little bit north of the church at Whitehall. There are massive, massive numbers of cars coming up/down Collins Ave and from the airport road, looking to get onto the M1/M50 network. It can make getting thru the intersection of Collins Ave/the old airport road at Whitehall Church a real pain the ass. The last thing that traffic in the area needs are express buses slowing things down even further, by making unscheduled stops at what is an already very busy traffic junction.

There are also A LOT of cameras in the area constantly monitoring traffic and the flow of vehicles. The driver of the express bus probably won't want to get caught on camera doing something that he shouldn't. Don't be surprised if he declines your friends offer to be so oh dazzled by her beauty that she lets him drop her off a point of her choosing & not his.

But hey, it IS Ireland, so what do I know? :D

Yeah ProudDub I'd say there is only a 30% chance that the driver will drop her at Whitehall. She is only coming from London and will have hand luggage only and will literally be able to hop off the bus in a few seconds flat.

But if the Aircoach supervisors are strict on these things then it is likely the driver won't drop her off as it is not worth the potential grief he'll get from his manager over it, and I don't blame him for that, regardless of how attractive the girl is ;)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    All well and good,but it could be argued that defining "being Irish" as an ability to bend rules,when and where ever somebody felt it useful,was stretched right out until it brought The Irish to our present state.

I couldn't agree more with this - the Irish ability to bend rules is largely responsible for having the economy in the state it is in. Rules were bent by politicians, bankers, developers, in fact you could just say that the rule book was thrown out the window altogether.

But its the little things I like about Irish rule bending, for example when I miss my bus but he is stopped at a traffic light 20 metres up the road and technically shouldn't let me on but does. Both of us have a quick scan for cyclists and if none are there then driver will open the door, an act of kindness that saves me 20 minutes waiting for the next bus.

Or the Garda who sees your tax is a month out of date and should technically fine you €80 but is just happy for you to produce the tax disc at the station a few days later.

Its the little things like that which I love about Ireland, I don't think you'll always get the same flexibility in other countries.

But yeah for sure when you take rule breaking to the nth degree at a level where decision making in politics & economics effects everyone then we end up in a mess like we're in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I couldn't agree more with this - the Irish ability to bend rules is largely responsible for having the economy in the state it is in. Rules were bent by politicians, bankers, developers, in fact you could just say that the rule book was thrown out the window altogether.

But its the little things I like about Irish rule bending, for example when I miss my bus but he is stopped at a traffic light 20 metres up the road and technically shouldn't let me on but does. Both of us have a quick scan for cyclists and if none are there then driver will open the door, an act of kindness that saves me 20 minutes waiting for the next bus.

Or the Garda who sees your tax is a month out of date and should technically fine you €80 but is just happy for you to produce the tax disc at the station a few days later.

Its the little things like that which I love about Ireland, I don't think you'll always get the same flexibility in other countries.

But yeah for sure when you take rule breaking to the nth degree at a level where decision making in politics & economics effects everyone then we end up in a mess like we're in now.
    Ah the ancient Irish ability to blame others for our own mistakes, the people who took out massive mortgages and are now having trouble with them were not forced to borrow more than they could repay. The Bankers developers etc have a part to play but for the general public the blame lies with their own mistakes.

When you miss your bus the driver lets you on at the lights and nobody gets hurt, until some morning a few cars behind is an inspector or other management employee who reports the matter as they should and your driver gets a severe reprimand or worse. Are you going to feed his family and pay his mortgage if he loses his job? There is also the danger of some cyclist or motorcyclist making you an integral part of their commute. Who pays the bills for your stupidity in breaking the rule(albeit a small rule).

What about the Garda who disregards the constitution and the laws of the state to let you off a serious issue like no tax/insurance/licence? where will that corrupt officer be when you crash and there is no insurance to pay for the damage or more seriously where does such a Garda draw the line??

It is the little things that make Ireland exactly what it is today and all those little things come directly from the little people with little minds who cant see farther than their own greed and ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

lack of pics of this Brazilian woman is disappointing.

lack of pics of this Brazilian woman is disappointing.

Hmmmm,you're right Groutch...I wonder if she has a deep voice !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

I see the signs on Aircoach bus stops saying taxi drivers are not allowed to pick up passengers are gone.

Can anyone confirm if there has been a change in law and taxi drivers are not allowed to pick up passengers from their bus stops? Because if so I missed it.

Going to airport this morning and some scumbag taxi driver stops and gets out and shouts "€7 to the airport" at me.

As someone who works in town sadly I see this every day.

Advertisement