Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

21-12-2010 Dublin Airport closed tonight

Options
  • 21-12-2010 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just starting this thread since I don't see one for this already.

Heavy snows closed Dublin Airport since about 12:00 today, and the closure is due to continue until 08:00 tomorrow morning.

My own flight home to Ireland was canceled tonight as a result, and I've gotten a new flight for tomorrow morning. I'm just curious about the situation on the ground (beyond Dublin Airport's official Twitter feed).

Are you there now? Can you please say what the situation is like at Dublin Airport right now (as a passenger)?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

looking at www.raintoday.co.uk

it looks like it will be snowing for hours.
    there is a constant stream of snow showers coming from wales.
    id say it needs to stop snowing a few hours before they open the airport.

where are you flying from.
    there is availability on the ferries across the irish sea.
    i have seen reports of people using trains , taxis, and boats to get here.
    i have also seen a report of people supposed to get a plane from heathrow that was cancelled, make their way to shannon for the plane that will be there as it was diverted there in the first place.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭Rawr

rameire wrote: »
    where are you flying from.
    there is availability on the ferries across the irish sea.

I'm coming in from Oslo, Norway. So the ferry option is out I'm afraid.
    I could possibly reach England via ferry from Western Norway, but by the time I reach Ireland, it'll be Stephen's Day. I'm an ex-pat living in Norway, so I'm not too stuck if I can't get back (disappointed, but not stuck).

Mostly, I'm curious about what I might encounter at Dublin, if by pure luck I manage to fly to Dublin tomorrow. Also, I'd like to hear of others in a similar situation. (Always feels better to know others share your pain...kinda selfish of me...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

you may not like this but this is the weather as given M T Cranium.
    he is a weather expert who posts on boards and many other sites.
    he has been bang on most of the time over the last month.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69677984&postcount=1885

you can also find him on
    http://www.irishweatheronline.com/

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Popel

I'm in a similar situation.

Bags packed, have a toddler ready to go too, and not at all sure if our flights from Berlin to Dublin tomorrow afternoon will work out. I'm an ex-pat too, and it would be the first visit home in a year, christmas day, stephens day, my own hen night in Dublin on the 27th, we're really hoping the airport is up and running again. Ferry is a no-go for us too, of course.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Ferry is booked out from what I can see until after Christmas. Have a number of friends with no way home from the UK. Absolute disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Alessandra wrote: »
    Ferry is booked out from what I can see until after Christmas. Have a number of friends with no way home from the UK. Absolute disaster.

There's still availability if you have a car. This was a problem during Volcano also. Foot passengers are limited. Stena Nordica does not take foot passengers at all. So tell you friends to rent a car and bring it across on ferry, or try to find others traveling across with a car and get on that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone know how Dublin is looking for today and tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Anyone know how Dublin is looking for today and tonight?

Check this section of boards:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=374

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Polar101

My early morning flight out was also cancelled. Not too happy with the airline at the moment as they cancelled the flight last night, even though the airport would've been open at departure time today. That was also the only flight option until next week, so bye bye holidays.

Advertisement