Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ice

Options
  • 06-05-2008 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭

Just got this email and I think it's a good idea, mods please move to relevant forum if needs be.

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory. If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency? Hence this 'ICE' (In Case of Emergency) Campaign.The concept of 'ICE' is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As mobile phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name 'ICE' ( In Case Of Emergency). The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents there were always mobile phones with patients but they didn't know which number to call. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognised name for this> purpose. In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialling the number you have stored as 'ICE'. Please forward this. It won't take too many 'forwards'> before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest

For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Got mine as 'ICE ICE BABY'.

Should give the paramedic attending my horrific death scene a humourous chuckle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Defenestrate

If I dont, will Pandora the blind, dead leper girl come stab me in the heart at midnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh i'd think of looking for ICE before looking for home tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

wouldnt it just be easier to have your mothers number down as Mam or something?

Cremo wrote: »

Or 'Mum' :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Cremo wrote: »

Mebbe go as far as to give "ma" or "da" a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Maybe you have elderly parents who you wouldn't want called first in certain cases....

question is would the paramedic in question have the cope on to look for ICE first, before calling some 90 odd year old woman and giving her a heart attack??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

I got the email too and thought it was a good idea. I put my home number and my mother and sister's mobiles down under 'ICE'.

But then, whenever someone rang me from the home phone or my mother or sister rang me, 'ICE' came up on screen and I didn't know which of them it is. I ended up just deleting ICE from my contacts altogether as it was too annoying!

If I was looking through someone's phone for a contact, I'd just look for 'Home'.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭KatiexKOUTURE--

July wrote: »
    I got the email too and thought it was a good idea. I put my home number and my mother and sister's mobiles down under 'ICE'.

But then, whenever someone rang me from the home phone or my mother or sister rang me, 'ICE' came up on screen and I didn't know which of them it is. I ended up just deleting ICE from my contacts altogether as it was too annoying!

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I put in 112 as my ice number so if someone finds me in need of emergency help they know who to call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

July wrote: »

ICE followed by a space and then their name wouldn't have done you.

ICE1 Mam, ICE2 Sis etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Or 'Mum' :pac:

In case of emergency, call Yore Ma...?! :D (Can't believe it took this long....!)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    In case of emergency, call Yore Ma...?! :D (Can't believe it took this long....!)

Nah, I don't think getting the paramedics to call Yore Ma would be a good idea, I'd be needing medical treatment not a booty call. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

patmac wrote: »
    Just got this email and I think it's a good idea, mods please move to relevant forum if needs be.

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory. If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency? Hence this 'ICE' (In Case of Emergency) Campaign.The concept of 'ICE' is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As mobile phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name 'ICE' ( In Case Of Emergency). The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents there were always mobile phones with patients but they didn't know which number to call. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognised name for this> purpose. In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialling the number you have stored as 'ICE'. Please forward this. It won't take too many 'forwards'> before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest

For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc.

That e-mail is years old so it's not really catching on that quickly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

fullstop wrote: »
    That e-mail is years old so it's not really catching on that quickly ;)

Well I just got it today so I thought it was a good idea, but obviously a lot of people feel the need to make smart belittling comments that contribute what exactly, don't have an accident on the way home now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Yeah I think Mam and Dad will do me thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

crap idea, its about 3 yr old.

just scroll through most peoples phones and there will be a "mum" or "dad" (usually).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

in my case there wouldnt be a mam/dad/home entry, as im too paranoid about my friends robbing my phone when drunk and ringing them (altho im now 28, old habits die hard) so i think ice is a good idea.
    however, im slightly sceptical- if a car crash was bad enough to kill me (shudder, god forbid, touch wood etc) what are the chances of my mobile making it out intact?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Redpunto

DanGerMus wrote: »
    ICE followed by a space and then their name wouldn't have done you.

ICE1 Mam, ICE2 Sis etc.

Clever, why didnt i think of that:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Archeron

I have 3 ICE numbers in my phone.
    When I get run over by a steamroller, I dont want them to ring my mum (She'll just scream) or my dad (He'll probably go to the pub to think about things) and everyone else in the phone is just in there by name except WORK and I certainly don't want them being first to attend, so I think its a rather good idea.
    Although I did hear about it years ago, but better late than never.
    If one more phone gets an ICE into its phone book, and that phones owner is later hit by a parrot, and that persons first contact is alerted in a timely manner, than this thread has served its purpose.

(my third ICE is the local Chinese takeaway. I like chicken balls that much...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

The ICE thing has been around for a while, but a really good idea! For the likes of paramedics who need to know any allergies following a crash or something, or for the gards to find relatives!

Advertisement