Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Asian"

Options
  • 05-05-2008 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭

Here's something I find interesting.
    When I was growing up in Ireland, if someone was referred to as "Asian", I'd assume they meant an east Asian, e.g. Chinese, Japanese Korean etc.

However, I've noticed in England, "Asian" tends to mean West Asians or Middle Easterners i.e. Pakistani, Indian etc.

Of course, they're both Asian. But it's funny how we assume things.

So I want to know, what's the first thing that comes to people's heads, when they hear "Asian". As, in for example, someone tells you to "Go talk to John, he's the Asian guy working at reception". On this description, are you expecting a Chinese, Japanese etc guy, or a Pakistani etc. guy?

Just to note, there's nothing racist about thinking this, so don't feel like you have to click either, just to be politically correct.

When you hear someone referred to as Asian, what do you initally expect (honestly)? 140 votes

West Asian i.e Indian Pakistani
    0% 0 votes
    East Asian i.e Chinese, Korean, Japanese.
    8% 12 votes
    My first thought is that it could be either.
    78% 110 votes
    Asian Jaguar
    12% 18 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

Yes, in england, asians tend to be pakistanis, indians.
    Here if you hear asian you think chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This may be one for Asian reporter Trisha Takinowa

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

An Asian is someone from Asia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Kold wrote: »
    An Asian is someone from Asia.

Nah, that's way too obvious, it's gotta be a trick question

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I assume a Chinese person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Bruce Lee, Jacky Chan and the likes.. Chinese and Japanese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I refer to Chinese/Japanese as Asians and Indians/Pakistanis as Indian/Pakistani.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's a cultural thing: the UKs Asian community tends to come from former colonial states, ie Pakistan and India, therefore, Asian to them means Pakistan and India.

Most of our Asian friends come from China, so to us Asian means Chinese.

Of course, dude, Asian-Irish is the prefered nomenclature...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Hmmmm...this debate was in Humanities and one poster got his nappy in a twist.:)

For me, Asian would be China, Korea, Japan, India, Nepal, Tibet, and Pakistan. Central Asian would be Kazakstan, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan (sp?) etc. Mid Eastern is obviously Mid Eastern which would be Saudi Arabia, Israel, Iran and Turkey.

Screwy, I know, but that's the way I classify countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    It's a cultural thing: the UKs Asian community tends to come from former colonial states, ie Pakistan and India, therefore, Asian to them means Pakistan and India.

Most of our Asian friends come from China, so to us Asian means Chinese.

Of course, dude, Asian-Irish is the prefered nomenclature...
    The china-man is not the issue here!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

To me:
    Asian = Chinese, Japanese, Korean, anyone from east asia.
    Indian/Pakistani = Indian/Pakistani
    Persian = Iranian (could go the other way around too)
    Arab = Middle Eastern

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Asians = slanty eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

East Asian for me..... If I don't know where someone's from, but suspect it's Japan, China, Korea, or around that area, then I'll call them Asian. If I suspect they're from Syria, Lebanon, Iran, etc., I'll call them Arab.

Dunno if I'm technically correct with either, but I don't much care, either!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

India etc would be South East Asia to me, I would think of Asia as the Far East.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Blisterman wrote: »
    However, I've noticed in England, "Asian" tends to mean West Asians or Middle Easterners i.e. Pakistani, Indian etc.
    Not in my experience.

If referring to "Asians" from the India/ Pakistan area then people would tend to be more specific and actually use Indian/ Pakistani or the relevant racist term in use at the time. Japanese/ Chinese etc might all get lumped in together as "Asians" or more often than not just all be called Chinese.

Which term nationality actually ever got used would be based entirely on the name above the local ethnic take-away though. If it had funny squiggily lines then everyone was Chinese, if it was in normal text that we could just about figure out how to say then everyone was Indian, and if there were not any take-aways near by then everyone was Pakistani as they all worked in the corner shop.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    What about Hong Kong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Tigrrrr

Asian to me always suggests Indian, Pakistani or Bengali... no idea why, or why this interests me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

As far as I know, Asia encompasses every country across from Turkey to Japan, and down from Kazakhstan (maybe parts of Russia) to East Timor. That said, I would generally think of Asians as people from the Far East.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

robinph wrote: »
    What about Hong Kong?

Part of China.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

without being derogatory but as the ops question, if i was to look out for an asian person, id be looking out for a very indian /pakistani type person, if i was asked to look out for a "chinesy lookin person" (sorry for offence) then id be looking for a japanese/chinese type person.
    this wasnt meant to offend, just an honest backward boggers observation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I think Pakistani/Indian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

I'd would think eastern asian.

I'd say Indian or Pakistani or the likes would be an Indian, despite where they're really from.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think we've been left with something of a vacuum in the language since the word 'oriental' became socially unacceptable.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Is oriental socially unacceptable now? Since when did that happen. I really hope that's a joke otherwise the world just became a stupider place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Is oriental socially unacceptable now? Since when did that happen. I really hope that's a joke otherwise the world just became a stupider place.

Since the 70s I believe.

Don't blame political correctness though... blame the Neanderthals that use these terms in a derogatory fashion thus rendering them unusable by all of us.

ooopps.... I just used Neanderthal in a derogatory manner, didn't I? Oh well... they're all dead, hopefully no one will get upset.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

just used Neanderthal in a derogatory manner, didn't I? Oh well... they're all dead, hopefully no one will get upset.

You need to go youtube the "Geico Cavemen"

I still use "Oriental" for far East specifically, and "Asian" for anyone east of Iran, to include the far East. The word means "East". (Actually, it originally came from an archaic word meaning "Rising in the Sky", which effectively means "East". To "Orientate something" means to turn it to face East.)

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Well any 'East Asian' person I've asked about it says that they don't give a flying ****.

I don't get the East Asian term. A fairly large part of China is as central as India.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Stekelly wrote: »
    This may be one for Asian reporter Trisha Takinowa

funniest thing ive read in ages :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

for me, Asian is anyone from China, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Vietnam etc - basicly SE Asia as the world refers to it.

the main grouping of category is a general yellow tinge to the skin and the fact that some of those ethnicities have slanty eyes.

Indians/Paki's etc are much much darker skinned with the big round eyes usualy.

then theres Arabs and Persians, ethnicaly the Persians are our closest genetic relatives in that region (by us I mean white Europeans) and the arabs are much sallower in complexion

then of course theres the Jews and the Black Pacific Islanders both living in the OP's specified area but neither fittin into any neat demographic pigeonhole.

so all in all the simplest solution is - Anyone who comes from the wrong side of the Parish boundary is a foreignist as far as I'm concerned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

"Oh my God, it's Jackie Chan"

Definitely think Chinese etc.

Advertisement