Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Safe wild campervan motorhome spots ???

• 16-07-2011 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I bought a camper recently and have visited a few camp sites that are great (although at €35 per night a little pricey) I was wondering is there any safe wild camper spots around the country ??? One I know of is in Rooskey by the Centra shop at the Shannon beside the boats theres always a few campers there overnight so fairly safe --- any more safe spots out there ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I'd think you'd get a better response elsewhere somehow.Campervan forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thread moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Thanks new to this :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭meercat

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055311498

some locations here but i find the best spots are the ones you come across late in the evening when its quiet but still bright and pull in( off a main road)where only locals will travel .i try to be op and gone before anyone even notices i was here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We've stopped in loads of quite places along the west coast. Councils put up those barriers but if you go looking you'll always find somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭shaysue

We have recently stayed in Terryglass and Dromineer on Lough Derg. Both have shower and toilet facilities but no hook up or water except for boats. Water can be got in Dromineer if you have a long hose connection by using the taps near the boat berths. Showers in Terryglass are very clean and comfortable. Both locations are close to pubs and restaurants. (We recommend breakfast in the hostel/B&B near Yacht club in Dromineer!)
    What a pity waterways ireland/bord failte/local councils can't get their act together and provide hook up facilities for campers! Dromineer just upgraded facilities for the berths and should have included a couple for campers but did not, though I highlighted this a year ago.

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments ... What a pity waterways ireland/bord failte/local councils can't get their act together and provide hook up facilities for campers! very true sensible comment ... in these hard times Ireland needs all the help it can get from home holidaying and the revenue it will bring to the local areas so why not get some facilities together and start a ball rolling !!!

Just back from weekend on Lough Derg again. Stayed in Dromineer and have to comment on the filthy condition of the shower unit I used. Hasn't been properly cleaned in an age. I intend taking this up with Tipp Co Co.

Also stayed in Garrykennedy and SWMBO was relieved of 4 Units on her Waterways Ireland card with NO ACCESS to the shower. Anyone else experience this on any Waterways Ireland facilities? Otherwise, had a great weekend but this shoddy provision/maintenence of amenities is a disgrace. Gives a strange message to foreigners not alone those of us staycationers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭RICHIE.39

Any suggestions for 'wild camping' locations near or in Westmeath? Am hopin to start bringing my boys (8 & 6) campin and maybe fishin... and im a beginner at both myself so any other advice would be appreciated.

Also 'wild camping' might be another good section for the mods to think about ? Thanks all for any help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

RICHIE.39 wrote: »
    Also 'wild camping' might be another good section for the mods to think about ? Thanks all for any help!

My reason for not setting up a wild camping thread is that as soon as you publish something it's not "wild" anymore but public ...very much so.

And as most "wild" camping spots are unofficial to semi-legal and their usage relies a lot on the good will of the neighbours and the good behaviour of the campers I'd rather not spoil my favourite wild spots by publishing them.

Kinda defeats the purpose, IMO

Sorry peasant. Didnt wanna step on your toes. Was more thinking of general locations and tips on wild camping. Can definitely understand your reluctance to let anyone know of your favourite personal spots. I'm just lookin to start out as haven't camped properly since I was a kid and had older brothers lookin after me haha.
    Anyway appreciate the honesty! Would still appreciate any tips you have for a beginner though if you're willing.
    Thanks Richie .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56205280
    a previous thread
    by the way welcome to boards
    its addictive though

Thanks meercat. That's a brilliant thread. Interested in tryin the Offaly 'not so wild' spot. Any tips on packin for the boys for a night campin? Thanks again. (also for the welcome)

i usually arrive as late as i can after scouting out a decent spot previously
    i try to stay out of a town if possible
    near a lake (but i much prefer the coast)
    when im in a car park i try to arrange a straight drive away where i cant get blocked in
    i assume that you have a tent when you say camping so in that case i would try and camp near my vehicle just to keep an eye on it
    i still camp regular myself(not this late in the season)and the number 1 advice is a warm sleeping bag

Have been trailer tenting and now have caravan the last three years....I just thought it was time to get closer to the ground esp with the boys getting to a good age! Have a good size 3 man gelert eiger 3 tent. Hopefully it has a good water proofing to suit our weather haha

RICHIE.39 wrote: »
    Have been trailer tenting and now have caravan the last three years....I just thought it was time to get closer to the ground esp with the boys getting to a good age! Have a good size 3 man gelert eiger 3 tent. Hopefully it has a good water proofing to suit our weather haha

yeah
    just do it
    the lads are a great age and they will always have the memories
    it will stay with them forever

Only prob now is havin to remember all the tips and tricks from years ago! I'm not too bad with gear as have the sleeping bags and two cots for the boys (I'll use a roll mat, have couple inches of inbuilt insulation haha) and then the cook sets lamps and what not. Only thing I'm short on is heater as doubt I'll be lighting any campfires without gettin some hassle!

Just to update re waterways card units. I contacted Waterways re my experience and I was refunded a card which was very good customer relations. But, though waterways and I informed Tipperary co co re the condition of the facilities, neither they nor I even received any reply. Surprise; surprise.
    Soon we will be back on the road again and will be testing these facilities. Hope they work or it will be a personal call to the co co offices! Whatever good that might do.
    How can Terryglass be perfectly maintained and Dromineer and Garrykennedy be so poorly looked after? Some ass kicking needed perhaps.

You should bring it up with the local co co in person next time your there because if everyone with a bad experience complained about the state of the place maybe we could have better facilities and safer cleaner places to stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Folks , tis all too rare that I get to hit away in a MH for leisure , so wondering where is safe to pull up for a night or two around Sligo , Strandhil/rosses Point etc? Just 2 of us , in a decent MH , ideally not too far from a shop or pub but has to be close to the sea.

If any of ye have secret spots , feel free to PM . thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Pass thru Mullaghmore with sea on rhs parking half mile on rhs.Saw 2 large english campers set up there once .On top of cliff so access to sea.

defike wrote: »
    Pass thru Mullaghmore with sea on rhs parking half mile on rhs.Saw 2 large english campers set up there once .On top of cliff so access to sea.

i stopped here too(a few times)
    absolutely spectacular views especially in the mornings

little spot called portavade
    its east of easkey
    isolated though

most of those little roads around easkey that lead to the coast should be fine

Just back from short break in N Mayo. Spent Sun Night in Belmullet right by the sea on a corner near primary school and behind church. Quiet and a short walk to shops and pubs. Grand spot for an Aire with room for 2 vans. School starts at 09.30 so cars start arriving around 0900.

I splashed out €12.50 for a S.N.I http://safenightsireland.com/ membership (says for 12 months but my membership runs out 31-12-12?) €10 per night in various locations around Ireland ... worth it for peace of mind (defo says my daughter):)

Re my last rant on the conditions of toilets and showers in Dromineer and Garrykennedy. Was down that way again a few weekends ago and was pleasantly surprised at the clean conditions of the shower units in Garry (even at the end of the long weekend) which were much improved and had obviously had a revamp. One can now hang up ones clothes instead of trying to find a dry spatter free area on the floor. Only negative comment....the water in showers was barely warm, not even lukewarm. In Dromineer the only shower unit operational did not have a bulb working. I brought this to the attention of the local worker so hope it has been taken care of. (In case I did not mention it before, I was refunded our wasted units by Waterways Ireland.)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭irishtear

Hi ,could you explain the reason for getting a card off Waterways.Can you park a camper in or beside a station or is it just to use the toilets and showers.Only new to this .Thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Pjwal

Hi all. Does any body know if there is somewhere at Dublin port to park in the motorhome for the night to make it easy to catch an early ferry in the morning instead of driving all through the night with 2 young kids.

Pjwal wrote: »
    Hi all. Does any body know if there is somewhere at Dublin port to park in the motorhome for the night to make it easy to catch an early ferry in the morning instead of driving all through the night with 2 young kids.

the topaz service station seems to be recommended in this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056660478

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

errrrmmmmmmmmm, I'd not use the Topaz if you want somewhere quiet........its a noisy truck stop, with trucks refuelling all day and night, and fridges running.....You'd be as far on finding a quiet side street up off north wall quay, it'd be free and a lot quieter, and 3 mins away from the port.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mollie99

Hey we have campervan. stayed in apple camping site in cahir. I think we paid 20 per night with awning and electricity. safe and gorgeous. lots of space between hard stands. great spot to park up. family orientated place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

A couple of places we came across last weekend....

Adrigole Harbour, Co Cork.
    Nice little harbour with room for about 4 campers I would say. Its right beside West Cork Sailing School where you can hire kayaks or canoes and kayak around the bay where there are lots of seal. We didn't actually stay here as it was full.

Kenmare Pier, Co Kerry.
    This is probably a well known spot but I'll give it a mention anyhow. We stayed 1 night here. There were (I think) 5 other campers parked here the night we were there. It was nice and quiet and its its only a short stroll from the town. Very handy location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭dwaned

Hi all,
    in the last few weeks we've found some really nice spots for parking up.
    Dungarvan, (mentioned elsewhwere), lovely spot in un used coach bays, right by the town and the sea. Here

Cobh, again right by the sea and only a few minutes walk into town. Here Map is not the exact loaction but as you come into the town you will see signs for free parking and camper parking.

Kilmore Quay. Lovely spot by the sea, 2 minutes walk from the port and town and a great beach. Here There's not a lot of room in that spot but it was a busy weekend and there were other parking spots nearer the town.

All 3 are wild parking, no water or elec showers etc. All felt safe and seemed to be well known spots for Campers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

dwaned wrote: »
    Hi all,
    in the last few weeks we've found some really nice spots for parking up.
    Dungarvan, (mentioned elsewhwere), lovely spot in un used coach bays, right by the town and the sea. Here

Cobh, again right by the sea and only a few minutes walk into town. Here Map is not the exact loaction but as you come into the town you will see signs for free parking and camper parking.

Kilmore Quay. Lovely spot by the sea, 2 minutes walk from the port and town and a great beach. Here There's not a lot of room in that spot but it was a busy weekend and there were other parking spots nearer the town.

All 3 are wild parking, no water or elec showers etc. All felt safe and seemed to be well known spots for Campers.

See

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.172071,-6.59256,3a,75y,129.06h,69.15t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1stpkgFx9BghMki2fbhjfv4A!2e0!6m1!1e1

just down the road in Kilmore. Does anyone know of plans to develop that area and the green patch just west of it into a parking place for campers?
    I was there, in a car, a few weeks ago and a Wexford camper, in the very spot mentioned by dwaned said he'd heard a rumour of planning permission being sought!

piuswal wrote: »
    See

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.172071,-6.59256,3a,75y,129.06h,69.15t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1stpkgFx9BghMki2fbhjfv4A!2e0!6m1!1e1

just down the road in Kilmore. Does anyone know of plans to develop that area and the green patch just west of it into a parking place for campers?
    I was there, in a car, a few weeks ago and a Wexford camper, in the very spot mentioned by dwaned said he'd heard a rumour of planning permission being sought!

That area you have the map on is already gone, they've made it a green area. We were parked further up the road in the entrance to the small car park at the beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Sorry, I may not have been very clear. I followed dwaned's link and it was at that spot the Wexford camper was situated. See photo attached.

Looking past the parked camper towards the Saltees is the area Im talking about. It is due west of the current car parks - I cannot recall if the tarmac area as shown in the the google map link I provided is gone but the green area is there and it is that area the guy in the camper was talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Has anyone ever had any trouble or been moved on from Woodstown Co. Waterford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Looking for somewhere to wild camp around the Clonmel area, Apple camp site is not an option as I will have dogs with me

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Mahon falls car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Baldandold

se conman wrote: »
    Has anyone ever had any trouble or been moved on from Woodstown Co. Waterford?

A friend of mine camped there a few weeks ago no problem, BUT the beach bylaws do say that the fine for overnight parking is a max of 32 euro.

• Advertisement

Wild camping in Portmagee, Co. Kerry
    http://t.co/g7XgDp2HIp http://t.co/LrdxhOql6D

Found this spot last night, traveled around Valencia island just off the ring of Kerry (beautiful place) then when you come back across the bridge to the mainland there is a parking area with toilets. There were 4 other campers and room for more.the toilets were spotless, busy enough little spot but didn't find the noise a problem.
    I'm updating these areas on Twitter as I go along with photos and maps. If you want to follow my user name is in my Sig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Baldandold wrote: »
    ... fine for overnight parking...

I have often seen this sign for overnight parking, but there is always cars parked overnight. Is this a fine that implemented only for campers? or is it one of those fines that dragged out when 'they' want to use something against camper vans? Anyone ever seen a car get one of these?

Advertisement