Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1.9 lt engines

Options
  • 27-05-2012 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi all.
    I'm in the market at the moment for my first camper. I have been looking on donedeal at 4/5 berth campers and notice that they come with either a 1.9lt engine or a 2.8 lt engine. (Fiat Ducatos)
    I was just wondering what your thoughts are on the 1.9 engine. Would it be very under powered for the job. I'm not looking to tear around in it like a lunatic, but would see myself travelling as far as south of France. Would it struggle on long motorway journeys? Would it be harder on fuel than larger engine as it may be labouring more?
    Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
    regards
    Finbarr

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

darkvalley wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I'm in the market at the moment for my first camper. I have been looking on donedeal at 4/5 berth campers and notice that they come with either a 1.9lt engine or a 2.8 lt engine. (Fiat Ducatos)
    I was just wondering what your thoughts are on the 1.9 engine. Would it be very under powered for the job. I'm not looking to tear around in it like a lunatic, but would see myself travelling as far as south of France. Would it struggle on long motorway journeys? Would it be harder on fuel than larger engine as it may be labouring more?
    Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
    regards
    Finbarr

I drive a Fiat Talento 1992 with a 1.9 diesel engine. I,ve never had any issues with it, and its reliability for me is top notch. My brother has a 1992 Fiat Weinsberg body, with a 2.5 diesel engine.

When we head off to kerry ect, I keep up with him ok, but the accelerator is virtually all the way. On any bit of an incline, he creeps away from me fairly rapid. On the 1.9 , if the speed is built up, it will motor away ok. But a 2.5 is definitely a lot speedier, and a 2.8 will be warp factor 5 Mr Zulu:D

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I've driven them all , and done thousands of kms in them , and I wouldn't buy a non turbo 1.9 unless it was a minter and for a steal . The 1.9 turbo is okay , as is the 2.5 non turbo , but for long haul comfort it's hard to beat the 2.5 tdi or 2.8tdi.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

thanks for the replies.
    I think I will look for the bigger engines, unless something irrisistable comes up.
    I once had a 1.9 non turbo volkswagan caddy and that did not go anywhere in a hurry and that is quite a bit smaller and lighter than even the smallest campers!!
    regards
    Finbarr

Advertisement