Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this

Options
  • 03-05-2015 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Complete noob to home recording. A mate who has moved away left me a shoe box with some music equipment and the attached is one of the things...what is it, how would I use it and why would I need it?

I also have a FireWire audio interface but need to get a usb-> FireWire cable to hook that up to my laptop

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

That's a mixer. I would suggest having a look at mixer basics on YouTube to get an idea as to how you might use it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Hi Splashthecash,
    it's a mixer - as commented above. You can use the manual (link below) to see if it meets your needs–this manual also explains how to use it.
    what is it, how would I use it and why would I need it?

http://www.behringer.com/assets/1002FX_1202FX_M_EN.pdf
    I also have a FireWire audio interface but need to get a usb-> FireWire cable to hook that up to my laptop

Not so fast!!! USB>FireWire cables do exist, but they are usually used for transferring data in situations where there is no other solution, and can be (read most likely *will be*) troublesome. If your laptop has a PCMCIA card port (rectangular flap on side of laptop) or a PCIe card port (smaller rectangular flap on side of laptop) then you can get a PCMCIA or a PCIe card with a FireWire port - these usually work very well: I use a PCIe-to-FW on my Mac and it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

TroutMask wrote: »
    Hi Splashthecash,
    it's a mixer - as commented above. You can use the manual (link below) to see if it meets your needs–this manual also explains how to use it.

http://www.behringer.com/assets/1002FX_1202FX_M_EN.pdf

Not so fast!!! USB>FireWire cables do exist, but they are usually used for transferring data in situations where there is no other solution, and can be (read most likely *will be*) troublesome. If your laptop has a PCMCIA card port (rectangular flap on side of laptop) or a PCIe card port (smaller rectangular flap on side of laptop) then you can get a PCMCIA or a PCIe card with a FireWire port - these usually work very well: I use a PCIe-to-FW on my Mac and it's great.

Cheers for the info! One other question - if I got this hooked up using the cable you suggested, would I still need an audio interface, or does this mixer meet that need also?

The mixer does not contain the audio interface–it is an analogue mixer (with some digital FX thrown in: Reverb etc.). Page 9 of the manual diagrams a home recording setup. Where this diagram says Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) in and DAW out, you need to connect your audio interface. Behringer don't show this for some reason. The audio interface is separate, and you usually need one. What model audio interface did you inherit?

Also, you'll need to check the side of your laptop to see if there's a PCMCIA or a PCIe slot? Even if there is, it would help us if you told us the make and model of the audio interface, as it may not be worth buying a PCMCIA or a PCIe card + Firewire cable for if it is not up to scratch. I mean, it might be cheaper for you to buy an inexpensive USB audio interface.

In closing, can I point you to the home recording sticky at the top of the page–it's a great resource to get you up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

TroutMask wrote: »
    The mixer does not contain the audio interface–it is an analogue mixer (with some digital FX thrown in: Reverb etc.). Page 9 of the manual diagrams a home recording setup. Where this diagram says Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) in and DAW out, you need to connect your audio interface. Behringer don't show this for some reason. The audio interface is separate, and you usually need one. What model audio interface did you inherit?

Also, you'll need to check the side of your laptop to see if there's a PCMCIA or a PCIe slot? Even if there is, it would help us if you told us the make and model of the audio interface, as it may not be worth buying a PCMCIA or a PCIe card + Firewire cable for if it is not up to scratch. I mean, it might be cheaper for you to buy an inexpensive USB audio interface.

In closing, can I point you to the home recording sticky at the top of the page–it's a great resource to get you up and running

Thanks for the info - attached are pics of the audio interface that I was looking to get a cable for

• Advertisement

It would be cheaper to just buy a Behringer or similar USB interface for 20 euro

Advertisement