Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have two gay friends voting no

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm someone who doesn't believe in marriage but I don't believe in it for me and will be voting Yes on friday as just because it's not something I will ever take part in doesn't mean I should stop anyone else from having access to it.

It's like the attitude that existed when the divorcee referendum was happening and people were acting like bringing it in would force perfectly happy married people to get divorced. Sounds daft when you say it but that's what some people thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nathang20

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭tomato1234

As the title says i suppose is the crux of it.

We were out having a few drinks on friday, and as always the referendum came up in topic. Months ago i was a little taken aback that a few of my gay friends were undecided as i thought it would have been a dead set yes from them. Anyway as the topic drew on i was down right puzzled at the start as to why they would vote no and from what i can gather the following reasons were put forward.

The first was the gay community identity. He argued that freedom within the community of being forever single though free to love whoever he wanted was what he felt gay marraige threatened. He didnt like the idea of two gay people tying themselves down. I looked at this from a straight perspective and thought of all the men and women who were in the same boat with careers or general promiscuity, whatever floats your boat type of thing.

The next reason was that he didnt need a wedding ring and a certificate from the state to express his love for another person. Again i suppose this is understanable, but again from a straight perspective that mindset exists also.

He argued that if the marraige referendum was to fail and that as a reaction the civil partnership bill should enstate more beneficial entitlements in terms of tax cuts and next of kin etc.

I have probably forgotten other reasons he gave though it just leave me a little bit deflated i suppose that i'm going out there to vote for rights that they both are voting against. As a person who has a lot of gay friends though is a bit community shy im just wondering whether anybody here has come accross this sort of leaning among the gay community?

My intentions are to still vote yes obviously, and allow them to have the choice if they want it or not, though I dont know how to feel about this attitude from a person the bill will directly affect.

Well, We are making history here and they are not part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭barretsimpson

As a person who has a lot of gay friends though is a bit community shy im just wondering whether anybody here has come accross this sort of leaning among the gay community?

They are known in the community as self hating gays and homophobes.
    They still have that small little voice in the back of their heads that says something's not right here. As Panti says, we are all homophobic.

Advertisement