Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Gay Scene

Options
  • 20-08-2013 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I know that this thread has been done like a million times but most of them aren't current.

Basically my question is what is the gay scene like for lesbians in Limerick? Are there any gay bars?

I'm going to UL this year so I'll be new to Limerick and I want to know if there'll be places where I can meet other lesbians/gay people. I plan on coming out once I'm in college so I hope I made the right choice in going to Limerick!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pai Mei

You have just asked the question I was thinking of asking :p Going to UL this year too and planning on coming out also. Except I'm not a lesbian :pac: Hoping I made the right choice to go to UL also :o

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Not sure about in the university itself but not a huge scene in Limerick sorry
    Theres a nightclub Sat night & thats pretty much it.....but Pride is on in a few weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mackD

Yeah unfortunately I don't think there is much of a scene at all in Limerick which is surprising considering it is a student city.
    Dolans Warehouse seem to have gay nights every two weeks or something I think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Pery Hotel on Glentworth St has a new Saturday night club. Enjoyed it a few weeks ago when we went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

The Bailey on O'Connell St, across from Arthurs Quay is very gay friendly and quite upmarket, but no , no gay specific themed pub any more .

We had them, don't know why but none of them lasted a long time. Out in UL seems an active body though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,827 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah was about to say the lgbt soc in UL has always been vibrant

http://outinul.com/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Poppy121

Oh well it doesn't seem that bad. At least there's a gay night every two weeks.

I was thinking about joining the LGBT society, I don't know if I'll be able to get over the nerves and apprehension though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Poppy121 wrote: »
    Oh well it doesn't seem that bad. At least there's a gay night every two weeks.

I was thinking about joining the LGBT society, I don't know if I'll be able to get over the nerves and apprehension though :p

Hi there is a night twice a month in Dolans but its every week in the Pery called fruit....have a look for the facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

Dolans is the place, not sure how busy their gay night is but the DIE and MACRONITE events attract a crowd that don't give a **** about your sexuality, you will be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Costellos is a bit of a dive, but as we'd say in Limerick "it's our dive". Nobody will give a fu<k who you're mauling the face off in there, and if they do they won't be long being told where to get off. I've come on to straight guys there once or twice and it's never been an issue once we get our wires uncrossed.

I know there's a promoter trying to set up a student gay night midweek, but Pride is the end of orientation week, so don't be making any plans to go home that weekend ;)

Comparing the 2 clubs:
    Dolans caters for everyone, the club is called Dionysus, and you'll probably see a drag act or 2 on stage.

Fruit is pretty much your average club, but just for gays, which if I were 18 again, I'd find a whole lot more comfortable a place to be.

OutInUL is a great resource, but it's not for everyone. As long as I was around UL, the faces were always the fabulous gays (i.e I never saw any of the GAA gays on the committee). It can be very helpful in terms of coming out, particularly as a support network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Intouch9

Saw in the paper that there is a new gay bar opening in 2 weeks! You guys are just in time. ;-)

Good to hear! Hope it lasts a little longer than Bubbalicious, Riddlers and 31 Thomas Street!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

Good to hear, also going to UL this year and hope to come out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RebelDOD

Hi on the front page of this weeks post theres an ad stating a new gay bar is opening shortly in Limerick and see next weeks edition for details.

That's great! I've been in Limerick since Tuesday and I'm only home today and I must say I really like UL and Limerick! Could anyone link me to that article? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

ninty9er wrote: »

I think the minimal info is deliberately being done as a teaser to get people talking and wondering. A good marketing ploy to drip feed the information!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Strokers Bar in Upper William street, it opened last nite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 surroi

Dolans is the place, not sure how busy their gay night is but the DIE and MACRONITE events attract a crowd that don't give a **** about your sexuality, you will be fine :)

Anyone interested in heading to these nights? My friends aren't gay and not interested in electronic music :/ I want to go dancing!

Anyone been to the new gay bar yet? I haven't heard much about it. Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nealcassidy

sorry for bumping the thread. just moved to limerick recently and wondering what the scene is like? so could anyone tell me the gay bars/nightclubs that are around. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭hagoonabear

Strokers pub and milk nightclub , both are gay drinking places and very friendly better off finding them on Facebook so you know any events coming up!

Milk bit expensive to get into and strokers never has any drink deals but great friendly places all the same!

Advertisement