Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat exams

Options
  • 23-06-2015 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Does anyone know what happens if you fail the repeat exams? Can I carry that subject on into 3rd year?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

If you fail repeat exams and there is no chance to compensate in any way, you should be able to take them the next academic year at exam time. If it is written exams only, then this should be the way it works. However, if you are required to pass a practical that you failed, you will most likely need to sit that module again the next year and pass the practical exam then.

I would contact the examinations office at 059 - 9175178 and get more information from them directly, and/or email the lecturer of that subject and/or head of your course to figure out your options if this were to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ovomos

entropi wrote: »
    If you fail repeat exams and there is no chance to compensate in any way, you should be able to take them the next academic year at exam time. If it is written exams only, then this should be the way it works. However, if you are required to pass a practical that you failed, you will most likely need to sit that module again the next year and pass the practical exam then.

I would contact the examinations office at 059 - 9175178 and get more information from them directly, and/or email the lecturer of that subject and/or head of your course to figure out your options if this were to happen.
    So that would mean I'd be out of school for a year?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

You could be, yes. There should be an option of repeating the module if you would rather do that, however I don't know a lot about the process, which is why I suggested speaking with someone in the college who can explain things better than I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ovomos

entropi wrote: »
    You could be, yes. There should be an option of repeating the module if you would rather do that, however I don't know a lot about the process, which is why I suggested speaking with someone in the college who can explain things better than I could.

okay thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

If the subject is a core subject of the course you may not be able to carry it over, so if the following year has a more advanced module of that subject where it picks up assuming you have passed the previous year, you won't be able to carry. Contact your lecturer with your concerns about it ASAP as you need to lodge an appeal to carry a subject forward and it can seriously cramp your timetable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement