Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

my foot is hanging off - do you think mushroom paste will fix it

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

tbh it really isn't much of an inconvenience having locked threads, there rarely is anything worth talking about other than politics, payments and bitching about the hse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I think calling it the advice seeker's graveyard might actually worry a few people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I think calling it the advice seeker's graveyard might actually worry a few people...

That was the point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

That was the point!

Perhaps this might help - I doubt it's on the curriculum for health professionals yet, but I personally believe it's important to have some when dealing with people who are worried about their health, even those online where they are actively told not to ask about it :)

http://www.businessballs.com/empathy.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Perhaps this might help - I doubt it's on the curriculum for health professionals yet, but I personally believe it's important to have some when dealing with people who are worried about their health, even those online where they are actively told not to ask about it :)

Low blow, and not in keeping with the humourous nature of this particular thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Humorous, the only humorous part is the title!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Maybe you could point out some unempathic posts in the locked threads- because I've never seen one. They are usually gently reminded to check the charter and see their doctor. "Empathy" doesn't extend to recommending people get bullsh*t advice on an anonymous message board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

perhaps all new threads should be pre-moderated and or people with less than 25 posts (or another number)cannot start a new thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

perhaps all new threads should be pre-moderated and or people with less than 25 posts (or another number)cannot start a new thread.

Good point - going from memory alone I think a disproportionate number of advice threads are started by people with nil previous posts anywhere on boards.ie , in otherwords they join specifically to ask for medical advice.
    Perhaps low post counters could be compelled to go through pre-moderation ?
    Even if technically possible pre-moderation can tend to increase Moderator workload and on the 1 forum that did operate it I know the mods were not sorry to see it done away with.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Apply for a medical card. . . . . . . . .

I'm actually shocked at the amount of people I know who are entitled to a medical card but are too lazy to get off their arse and organise one. Like putting off really concerning symptoms lazy, the mind boggles..
    roro1neil0 wrote: »
    If you asked this down your local gym someone would say you probably have Athlete's foot and should go to the chemist and get some cream or powder.
    If you asked your mother the same thing you'd get the same answer. In both instances, there is no presumption of unlicensed medical advice. Why is it different on this forum?

Because people tend not to sue their mom or the bloke down the gym. Random companies are very suable. :)

But on a broader note, how do other internet sites get around the liability issues? Some sites have 'ask the doctor' threads that people post their medical histories and get direct advice on thread.

Not fringe sites either, webMD has a snazzy new symptom checker:

http://symptoms.webmd.com/#./introView

Now that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

The way litigation goes in Ireland at any rate means that imagine in the case of someone suing boards.ie - they may lose their case but it wont feel like a victory to boards as they will end up saddled with legal costs and inconvenience. Having costs awarded in your favour is one thing - actaully collecting the award is quite another .
    My guess is that boards just want to avoid any remote possibility of hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Related thread on the go in after hours:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056711196

Of course its a bit more irreverent than this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Related thread on the go in after hours:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056711196

Of course its a bit more irreverent than this one :)

Was reading that thread opinion guy. I think, as is typical of the internet, people have an inflated sense of their own intelligence. I am not a doctor but I do know that doctors don't make a diagnosis by having people simply tell them list of symptoms.

Questions are asked with a purpose and in a controlled manner in order to extract info. Past medical, social and family history is important, as is the physical exam. People also stress information which must often be disregarded as being irrelevant/"in their head". There is often overlap between different diseases in terms of symptoms as well.

Hate to sound like a patronising twat but that is simply the truth of it. Self diagnosis is extremely risky and often incorrect.

One chap did say that internet is good for info on the disease after the illness. That is fair enough.

I personally think GP access should be free at the point of access like in the UK to help people stop endangering their health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

gaffer91 wrote: »
    Self diagnosis is extremely risky and often incorrect.

I agree that the first port of call should be a GP but what would you do if after years of attending different Doctors and they can't find out what is wrong with you? What would you do then? Have you ever been in this position?

Never mind mushroom paste, personally I'd eat elephant s**t if I thought it would make me better and as mainstream Doctors haven't been able to help me thus far (8 years of being unwell), I would try anything to get well. Unfortunately, as am not working, I don't have the money to try alternative healers but if I could, I would. Desperate needs call for desperate measures...

Splendour wrote: »
    I agree that the first port of call should be a GP but what would you do if after years of attending different Doctors and they can't find out what is wrong with you? What would you do then? Have you ever been in this position?

Never mind mushroom paste, personally I'd eat elephant s**t if I thought it would make me better and as mainstream Doctors haven't been able to help me thus far (8 years of being unwell), I would try anything to get well. Unfortunately, as am not working, I don't have the money to try alternative healers but if I could, I would. Desperate needs call for desperate measures...

What if they told you you needed to eat the really expensive elephant shlt, produced by elephants eating only truffles and caviar and you needed to take it for several years before you would know it would work ?

$$$$$$$$ for most likely no benefit

• Advertisement

What if they told you you needed to eat the really expensive elephant shlt, produced by elephants eating only truffles and caviar and you needed to take it for several years before you would know it would work ?

$$$$$$$$ for most likely no benefit

Obviously you've never been so desperately unwell as you haven't been able to answer the question of what you would do. I hope for your sake you never have to go down this road...

Obviously you've never been so desperately unwell as you haven't been able to answer the question of what you would do. I hope for your sake you never have to go down this road...

Why is that obvious ?

lol you have no idea my friend

Perhaps I've spent all that money - has that occurred to you ?

Why is that obvious ?

lol you have no idea my friend

No, I don't have an idea that's why I asked you what you would do if you were in my position and you didn't answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭gaffer91

I'm fortunate enough to say I haven't suffered any illness like the one you described. A chronic illness is hard enough to deal with, never mind when you cannot even diagnose it, so I really do sympathise with your plight. It must be awful to suffer for so long. I know you've probably heard it a million times but I sincerely hope your situation improves.

I really don't know what I'd do in this situation. I suppose it is natural after so long that you would turn to the internet/alternative therapies if there is even a 1% chance it will help you. Realistically though, most people do not go undiagnosed for 8 years so this would not apply to them.

No, I don't have an idea that's why I asked you what you would do if you were in my position and you didn't answer.

Correct. I'm not answering you. I'm not going into personal details on boards.ie

That doesn't change the fact that this is a massive assumption. Clearly, in my lack of an answer to your question,you've decided to assume your own answer

Might I just ad - this is kind of off-topic for this particular thread, which I started to address the phenomena of people posting in health sciences with actual acute medical issues asking randomers what to do. The issue of having a chronic disease and not being satisfied with your treatment is a separate issue. The thread title about a foot hanging off was inspired by an actual thread in the Health and Fitness forum.

• Advertisement

gaffer91 wrote: »
    I'm fortunate enough to say I haven't suffered any illness like the one you described. A chronic illness is hard enough to deal with, never mind when you cannot even diagnose it, so I really do sympathise with your plight. It must be awful to suffer for so long. I know you've probably heard it a million times but I sincerely hope your situation improves.

I really don't know what I'd do in this situation. I suppose it is natural after so long that you would turn to the internet/alternative therapies if there is even a 1% chance it will help you. Realistically though, most people do not go undiagnosed for 8 years so this would not apply to them.

Thanks gaffer-appreciate that.

Advertisement