Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England v Kasack...kaca... kakakan... that other team

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Pure Cork wrote: »

If I was as talented as he is, I wouldn't be in a rush to play for the Republic.

So thats the way it works? If you feel your better than the others you woulnt play with them?

Better off without him tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Stekelly wrote: »
    So thats the way it works? If you feel your better than the others you woulnt play with them?

No, I meant that if I was good enough to play for them, I wouldn't be that interested in doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

I would imagine that there are far more ignorant Irish people with misinformed views on the English, than ignorant English people with misinformed views on us.

Given the fact their population is roughly 15 times ours, thats a pretty impressive feat, and one massive chip on our nations shoulder.

That's your opinion and a ridiculous statement imo. I wouldn't criticise Britain for this but a country of 60 million is quite reasonably going to overlook a lot it's much smaller neighbour and for the most part it does so.

English people(obviously not including English people living in Ireland) are no way near as informed on Ireland as we are about them. Some don't even know that
    a. We are not British.
    b. We are a seperate country.
    c. Our currency is not the British Pound.
    d. Little or no idea of what Britain did in the past in Ireland. And rightly or wrongly are not genuinely interested either.

On the other hand on a daily basis Irish people read their big neighbours newpapers, watch their T.V channels etc etc.

Anyway on the footballing side people have their own preferences who they support. Personally I might be one of the few irish people who for the most part neither cheers for or cheers against England when they play. I have my own reasons for that just like those who cheer for or cheer against them have theirs.
    Jazzy wrote: »
    did u know there is archived footage of the kings visit to cork and loads of the locals have union jacks hanging out the windows? rebel county indeed

Yeah it's true that around the turn of the century to the Easter rising time Ireland was settling down within the British State. But for the most part Ireland did not fare well under British Rule. The union Jack waving thing I believe is why the dubs got called Jackeens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

shane86 wrote: »
    (though in club football this would usually be in the case of a deflection). .

Defection I means :rolleyes:

England won, but I think what people are feeling is that they currently do not stand a chance of winning the WC. They just did not play last night like a team capable of doing that. IIRC Capello was set a minimum target of reaching the semis. This squad would probably get out of their group on luck and get knocked out in the last 16. And that is if they qualify, certainly isnt a foregone conclusion.

btw is it possible we could get them in a play off, is the draw random or has it already been decided that the runner up of our group plays the runner up in group x.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,580 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus Christ, can a rule be added to the charter that if an English match is being discussed it doesn't decend into posts about the Easter Rising,etc and in doing so results in an immediate ban!

Every fúcking tíme! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

in my time on boards i'd say its the first time i've seen that happen in an actual England match thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

btw is it possible we could get them in a play off, is the draw random or has it already been decided that the runner up of our group plays the runner up in group x.

No draw done as yet, so at the moment we could meet anyone.
    Worth pointing out that of the 9 groups only the best 8 runners-up go into the play-offs, the worst runner-up misses out (something most commentators seem to be ignoring).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Go England:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

No draw done as yet, so at the moment we could meet anyone.
    Worth pointing out that of the 9 groups only the best 8 runners-up go into the play-offs, the worst runner-up misses out (something most commentators seem to be ignoring).

We should be grand if things go according to plan and we get second, especially judging by Group 9, the Group with the North, and the group with Serbia, France, Romania and Lithuania.

anyway if we win our next 2 games we go ahead of Italy so it shouldn't matter.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Defection I means :rolleyes:

England won, but I think what people are feeling is that they currently do not stand a chance of winning the WC. They just did not play last night like a team capable of doing that. IIRC Capello was set a minimum target of reaching the semis. This squad would probably get out of their group on luck and get knocked out in the last 16. And that is if they qualify, certainly isnt a foregone conclusion.

If a club can get out of it's group, then it can win the tournament. In those latter stages, what separates the two teams can be a very fine line, which invariably luck shades it in favour of one of them.

If you look at England's tournament record over the last 12 years, by and large, they have gotten knocked out on a whisker in the knockout stages. They have never been tonked, and more often than not, it has been penalties which has shaded it.

I'm not saying that England are going to win the world cup or anything like that. But imo, there are about 8-10 teams that have potential to win it. More often than not, it will be a prolific performance from one or two players in that team, and a bit of luck, which will be the difference maker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Boggles wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, can a rule be added to the charter that if an English match is being discussed it doesn't decend into posts about the Easter Rising,etc and in doing so results in an immediate ban!

Every fúcking tíme! :rolleyes:

I actually agree and soz for going there. Almost resisted replying to Charlie Mc Hugh's statement - but sometimes a statement just really rankles yeah and you got to reply as I guess McHugh was doing to previous statements. Maybe there should simply be no political type stuff both pro or Anti-English full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

We should be grand if things go according to plan and we get second, especially judging by Group 9, the Group with the North, and the group with Serbia, France, Romania and Lithuania.

anyway if we win our next 2 games we go ahead of Italy so it shouldn't matter.....

I agree, i'm just wary because we have a history of ending up in groups with multiple drawn matches (Switzerland/Israel group from BrianKerr era comes to mind) which could hurt us. Mathematically for runners-up its better to be in Win/Lose/Win/Lose mode rather than Draw/Draw/Draw/Draw mode (and boasting about how you are unbeaten).

I think its fair to say that no-one in the group can be totally written off, and already there has been four big drawn games that I can think of (Montg/Bulgaria, Bulgaria/Italy, Georgia/Cyprus, Montg/Ireland).

Advertisement