Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photoshop for beginners (Animation)

Options
  • 19-01-2015 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am wondering how useful is Photoshop before I decide to take the plunge and purchase it. I currently film and edit videos already for my youtube channel (music/live session recordings) but I would like to add some animation to them but was wondering which sw would be best for it?

The only real one I know is Adobe Photoshop Premium Elements? Does anyone have any experience on this and how easy/difficult it is to use? I have 0% experience on using Photoshop so will be picking it up brand new.

PS. The type of animation I would be looking to add to my videos are animated introductions.

Thank you all for your help :)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Photoshop isn't really great for animation - it'll do the basics but the likes of After Effects is probably more suited. You could look at Blender which is FOSS and very powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

In terms of adobe software:

Photoshop: Great for image manipulation. Photography, color correction etc etc.
    Illustrator: Great for creating vectorised images for large scaling so billboard graphics.
    After Effects: Good for doing images and effects in video. You need some nice plugins to get some real hollywood style effects.
    Premier Pro: Good for editing video
    Audition: alright for audio my personal preference is pro tools.

I'm guessing from your number that you're a student in IT Tallaght? that's where i did my undergrad in which case the lab machines tend to have photoshop on them. If you're in advertising you have a mac lab with all the software, if you're in cdm either the main lab or the photography lab has all the software you need.

In terms of 3d graphics blender is class, its free, has a lot of online documentation for support! 3ds max is free for a student as is Maya but you cannot do full 1080p video from them on the student license. I also find that 3ds is more based around architectural 3d building! Maya is industry standard at the moment.

If you're looking to get into animation and video then i'd say concentrate on blender, after effects and illustrator. You can bring in sketches and such in illustrator, save those images as your basis for models in blender. After effects can then add some dazzle to your images so flares, exhaust fumes, glows, all which can be done in blender this again is just personal preference.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭x00065954

Thanks lads, yas are all a bunch of sound lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭janeparker

Illustrator is enabled with vector elements which helps to convert raster images into vector images. No doubt, Adobe application has vast functionality for image editing task.

Advertisement