Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHS Tape restoration (Stage 1)

Options
  • 26-03-2015 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭

Well I'm embarking on a bit of restoration of a VHS tape which is quite rare and I'm taking every precaution to make sure my first encode is my last.

I've got a very well maintained Panasonic AG 4700 but need recommendations on a capture card for PC. Did previously test out a Blackmagic intensity shuttle USB3 device but it has no end of compatibility issues with intel chipsets.

Recommendations on a profession quality capture device please and any other tips and tricks.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Do you really need to buy a device just to copy one VHS?

There are a lot of professional services out there, you could probably pick the absolute best in the business and still come out cheaper than buying your own equipment and maybe getting a good copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

ScumLord wrote: »
    Do you really need to buy a device just to copy one VHS?

There are a lot of professional services out there, you could probably pick the absolute best in the business and still come out cheaper than buying your own equipment and maybe getting a good copy.

Sometimes it's not about price it's about the love of learning new things and being able to say I'm proud of my work.

I've restored old tapes before but none as important as this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I get learning new things and all, if you want to spend the money then so be it.

But if it is a very valued tape than all the more reason to send it to an expert. If anything goes wrong it's their fault.

I don't really know about capture cards anymore, I haven't had to use one in a while and when I did they weren't the most reliable things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Antenna

How old is the tape and what brand? I've seen Scotch video tape from the early/mid 1980s exhibit severe oxide shedding (quickly blocking the video heads), yet a Maxwell tape, apparently stored in the same conditions being relatively OK

If the tape was stored somewhere with damp air - like many attics during the winter - its not good.
    Looking in the windows of the cassette, is there any 'white dust' on the edge of the tape?

Incidentally, the audio quality of home video tapes (provided its standard/linear - non-hifi audio) from other machines can often be significantly improved by adjusting azimuth of the audio head inside the VCR whilst playing the tape in question and adjusting for best treble (don't try this if unsure what you are adjusting!).
    This should be adjusted again with a known good tape when finished. The same goes for audio tape

Advertisement