Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restaurant Guide

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Years ago, when I lived in Dublin, I was a regular diner at FXBs in Pembroke Street. Is it still there ? Any opinions on it, if it is ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Latest pleasant Surprise was Bon Apetit in Malahide, when you come into Malahide village, you drive to the end of the village, take the last left and it 's on your left about 5 doors down.

Pricewise - v.pricey, no prices on the Menu and I wasn't paying the bill so I couldn't tell you :)

Surroundings - sublime, brilliant place to hire a private room for a party, as it happens we were celebrating my Mother's 50th and there were 25 of us at the table.

Staff - V.friendly, excellent service, the head chef is also the owner of the restaurant and his name is Patsy, he'll cater to any special requests you might have and has a great attitude. We were served drinks until 3:45am!

Food - Some of the best I've had in an Irish restaurant, for starters I had a Kir royal sorbet and soup which is served with their homemade bread. Main course I had duck which was nothing short of divine, they cook it so you get crispy fat and none of this soggy rubbish you put to the side of your plate and it's served on a bed of mashed potato with a choice of extra spuds/chips/mash and veg. For Desert I had a blueberry and some other berry pie (note: I was too drunk to remember what the second fruit in the pie was at this stage but it was lovely)

If your looking for a fancy place for a romantic meal or a nice spot to have a get together for whatever celebration, look no further, this place has you covered.

More shocking than anything was the choice on the menu, they have superb choice, many upper class restaurants I've been in always let me down on choice but this place will have you clutching onto that menu for a few more minutes as you're spoilt for it.

10/10 from myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

If you're looking for a good Dublin chipper I can recommend Burdocks in Rathmines, epicuren food hall and Christchurch. They're not as good as they used to be, but they're still the best chipper in Dublin.

Also I've got to agree with whoever put up Wagamma under Stephens Green Shopping centre, the chicken katsu cuury is the best!

I like the atmosphere in the trocadero, it's really cosy. Foods a bit pricy though.

Also for lunch try the "steps of Rome", It's just off either Church St or Trinity street, can never remember which one! But for 7.50 you get a nice lunch and a glass of wine. Good food, and nice staff there:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Had dinner in the Malthouse in Galway, last week. Pricey but very tasty. Nice ambience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Wagamamas is a Japanese noodle bar on South King Street in Dublin City centre. 20 of us arrived at the restaurant on a Sat night recently, the queue was huge but we were seated withing 15 minutes in the really pleasant basement restaurant. For the 20 of us the bill came to only €350, that included drinks, starters and main course for everyone and about 10 coffees and 6 desserts, which is just outstanding value.
    Thumbs up for food, service, menu choice and value. I'd definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

I was back in La Cave on South Anne Street recently, I had forgotten how pleasent the place can be. And this was before the smoking ban came in...
    ...Mind you, I'll miss the cigars!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Waterford: for fish and chips the greatest chipper in the world is in Tramore - its called Cunninghams - unbeleivably good.
    There's a retaurant on John's Street called Bodega!, French cuisine reasonably priced, lovely beers, wines, they have a set menu but most of the menu changes on a day to day basis depending on what fresh foods they can get. Best restaurant in Waterford.

Dublin: Elephant and Castle in Temple Bar is reliable, although its not cheap and the wait can be long for a table.
    O'Connells in Bewleys Hotel in Ballsbridge used to do high standard of food for moderate prices - but the last time I was there I was very unimpressed (about a year ago) - don't know if its improved since.
    Obviously for lunch the Avoca cafe's do some lovely food.
    And for that food before or after a night drinking or just some cheap quick food, i'd recommend either Charlies2 in temple bar (Chinese) or Zaytoon also in Temple Bar (Turkish).

• Registered Users Posts: 22 weebrat

My vote goes to the Cedar Tree, the Lebanese restaurant on St Andrew's St. And I've been to the Lebanon, not exactly the same but pretty close!

More of my (all veggie/vegan) restaurant reviews:

homepage.eircom.net/~thewub/vegan/ireland.html

shameless advertising ;-)

Try the fine Lebanese wine, if you can afford to spring for it, and some arak in ice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Luigi Malones in Temple Bar: Lovely food, nice wine, Staff are friendly and very handy when going on the beer in town and want dinner first. Can be very packed so booking in advance is a must

Best Chipper is Burdocks

Vinny Vanucchi's in Malahide: Love this place! great food, nice decor and reasonable prices.....also staff are nice!! wud recommend everyone to try at least once

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 g00ndp00l

Heres my Fav places around ireland to eat:

1: Cactus Jacks - Galway (best enchiladas in the world...ever)
    2: Botticellis - Temple Bar (fantastic italian homemade food amazing minestrone)
    3: Carrigaline Court- carragaline co.cork (great wine list and the duck is superb)
    4: Spacos - Off Grafton street (a little fancy and posh but nice on an occasion)
    5: Trentunos - Castleknock {a great steak italiano style, but seating is bad}
    6: Boccacios - Dame Street (Best atmosphere, good food and great service)

Anybody want to comment on my choices??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

Someone mentioned Bon Apetit, earlier, in Malahide and it is gorgeous right enough, but it's very pricey. Very pricey indeed!!
    If you are spending that kind of money, you could also go to L'Ecrivain on Baggot St (is it?) or Chapters on Parnell Square. All those three are fantastico, but you need to be rich!!

The Red Bank in Skerries is fairly splendid, but you don't need to be loaded to eat there and I have a very soft spot for Salamanca, in town, but that's because I'm an anchovy demon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by g00ndp00l
    6: Boccacios - Dame Street (Best atmosphere, good food and great service)

Anybody want to comment on my choices??

Boccacios is indeed great. Great food, great service and atmosphere. The waiters are super friendly, and always singing. Or at least when I used to go. It's been quite some time since I've been there. Must go soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Two i have been to recently was La Med in Temple Bar, this is fantastic. Last night i was at Johnnie Fox's Pub and Oh my God the fish is fantastic. We ordered scallops, tiger prawns, i had Swordfish and another had Mahi Mahi. all 4 were the amazing!! For starters we got the thing of muscles.. yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Went for food in Midleton, Cork last night. A place called Raymonds, it's down by the distellery. It was an early bird special for €25 for a 4 course meal. I have to say I was very impressed with the food and the service there.

Mods Is there any chance of this thread be split into regions of some sort?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I'm going to start work on a Restaraunt section of ripoffireland.org. It will be split into different counties. Should be available in the next couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

Hey all,
    if you are around Wexford and into Seafood I'd defo recommend NewBay House in Clonard outside Wexford Town. No complaints from a group of 8, and my brill was , em, brill...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Jai Pur south great Geourges street (almost to Aungier street end). Went there and i have to say im now a HUGE fan of Indian food after this place!! Oh make sure you get some Cobra beer to cool your mouth down. Also i can recommend the organic house wine. A huge meal for 5 of us cost €186 which is pretty good i think.

also Yamamori on the same street for Japanese Sushi etc.. also fantastic. 5 of us cost €170 but there was a lot less food/drink for this. Still it was an experience. I loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 cc007

Guys,

Try Salamanca (Spanish Tapa's restaurent). Amazing food. It's across from O'Neill's on Suffolk Street.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

Avoid Pacinos on suffolk street. Very very poor. My wife and I had dinner there last week and it was truly awful. For starters we had deep fried mozzarella and garlic bread. The mozzarella tasted exactly the same as the type you get in the frozen food section of dunnes. Garlic bread had the slightest taste of garlic and was greasy(Christ, they couldn't even get garlic bread right :rolleyes: )

For the main course I had a really tiny lasagne, again courtesy of dunnes. This was served with chips and vegetables. The chips were of the frozen variety and I imagine it wasn't unlike eating a bag of nails. My wife had a chicken dish which was swimming in the most disgusting sauce I have ever tasted. It tasted like chicken fried in ice cream.... :confused: absolutely horrendous.

Some other diners seemed to be enjoying their meal, so mabe we were unlucky. Still, I definitely won't be going back.

Places like this don't deserve to take your hard earned money. Look elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

There aren't many good Tex Mex restaurants around Dublin but I was in 'El Paso' in Howth recently and it was fabulous. Very reasonably priced, nice view over harbour (roadworks at min tho), lovely atmosphere and the staff were very friendly. Good for smokers too as there is an outdoor terrace where you can smoke and they'll come and tell you when your food's ready. Would highly recommend their nachos and chicken fajitas!! Chocolate fudge cake wasnt bad either :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

The Altar between Ballydehob and Goleen in West Cork!!
    The best meal I've had in years,€42 for a set menu of four courses......
    Absolutley amazing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 seanie04

Hi,

Can anyone reccomend somewhere cheapish for lunch in templebar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I was in Kingswood House off the Naas Road last week. A little pricey but absolutely magnificent. €41 (plus service charge) for a five course meal but for a special occasion I think it is very much worth it.

The duck... oh the duck... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 marcowil

The Shack in Temple Bar
    (East Essex Street) www.shackrestaurant.ie

I have never had a bad meal there and the last time only cost 25 euro each (no wine) for two courses.

It has a lovely atmosphere, very friendly staff and is always full of a varied mix of people.

seanie04 wrote:
    Hi,

If you're just looking for something quick and cheap I'd recommend The Trinity Arch Pub on Dame Street. It's right beside the Central Bank and The Foggy Dew. They have a nice menu, prices are around Eur8 to Eur14 depending on whether you get a burger or steak etc. Friendly atmosphere and staff too. I've been going there for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 seanie04

Thanks guys,

I'll give them a try! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 salty_30022

any thoughts on good and reasonable places to get take away lunch?
    or inspiring contents for a work lunch box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 PowerPuffGirl

I would normally go to Cafe Topolis on Parliament St, (Italian food) it's very very reasonable and great food and lots of it! Service is good too. I go there a lot and I've never had a bad meal there.

Went to Toscana on Lord Edward St. this evening, (basically beside the Forum), a bit posher than Cafe Topolis, but again it's Italian food. I thought the food was good, and twas a bit more expensive (65 yos for starters, mains, coffee and wine) and the waiters were a bit flirty... but yum nicely presented foodie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 tadgher

I went to this place tonight, and thought it was very poor. Apart from the pizza and lasagna, which were served on their own, every other main dish was served with frozen chips and iceberg lettuce.

The house wine (medicore) was over 16 euros.

My starter, suppli, reminded me of deep-fried rice pudding. And it was served with undressed iceberg lettuce too. And a tomato.

Not cheap either - suppli was nearly 6 euros and saltimbocca was around 15.

went to Boticellis' once and that was enough. Horrible place. Tables are too close together, staff are unfriendly and the food is manky. Never again :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

I was at Boticellis' last week, service was good, food was plain. Won't be going again. I'm seriously beginning to wonder if there is any good Italian restaurants in Dublin city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

seanie04 wrote:
    Hi,

The best kept secret for cheap and really good food in temple bar has to be the Irish Film Institute bar... They have really good portions and the food tastes really good..

Last night i had a spicy meatball and noodle dish.. It was really good, and only €8.50!!! The menu is really cheap, on average €5 -> €9.

The IFI Burger and the real chips are a must...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Avoid Pacinos on suffolk street. Very very poor. My wife and I had dinner there last week and it was truly awful. For starters we had deep fried mozzarella and garlic bread. The mozzarella tasted exactly the same as the type you get in the frozen food section of dunnes. Garlic bread had the slightest taste of garlic and was greasy(Christ, they couldn't even get garlic bread right :rolleyes: )

For the main course I had a really tiny lasagne, again courtesy of dunnes. This was served with chips and vegetables. The chips were of the frozen variety and I imagine it wasn't unlike eating a bag of nails. My wife had a chicken dish which was swimming in the most disgusting sauce I have ever tasted. It tasted like chicken fried in ice cream.... :confused: absolutely horrendous.

Some other diners seemed to be enjoying their meal, so mabe we were unlucky. Still, I definitely won't be going back.

Places like this don't deserve to take your hard earned money. Look elsewhere.

I think it sounds like you were just unlucky... I was there a few months ago with some friends and I have to say the food was decent enough... I didnt have any complaints at all...

For good italian food, try Cafe Bar Deli on georges st. Reasonably priced and its good quality.. It has never failed me so far....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

this is the best kept secret in the country....I can highly recommend it. Nothing has yet to come close to it in this country. And the pints are out of this world. Service is excellent, food is 5*, a little expensive but well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Carobar

Hi. Anyone been to the Chinese restaurant on Main St. Blanchardstown? I think the name of it is Ming Garden or Ming Court??? Thinking about heading there this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Bessacadia

New restaurant opening.... tomorrow night
    Rocca Cafe
    Good food very reasonable prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

browns on the green very very nice wide range menu
    da vinci's in leixlip is ok not the best itialian
    alvito's in leixlip really nice meditrainian
    miss wongs in leixlip the best chinese ever!

stay away from Eden in Templebar. Mingin' food, crap service, crap atmosphere and way over priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 macG

SOrry Dublin City again but deadly value, its on Montague street (small road between Whelans and HArcourt street) near where I work
    €20 Early burrd... starter main dessert, glass of wine and tea/coffee! Think thats the best I've ever had... Food is brilliant and it got a good write up in the Irish times in the last week or two (I only got to glimpse at it in the restaurant, waiter showed me).

Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

MacG - Any idea of the name? or style of food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fran

The Montague restaurant is a French Style Brasserie. I have been to it before using the Ezyliving guide. Great value. I saved €20.00 off my bill. I will definitely go back.

PS: anyone who eats out alot should check out www.ezyliving.ie offers great discounts in restaurants and activities in Dublin, Kildare and Wicklow.

If you want to eat out, save money but don't necessarily want to go early the ezyliving guide is ideal. I got it through my work social club for €25.00

Another recommendation I would make is Papaya on Ely place. Thai - really good - excellent food and service. And great atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I was at Boticellis' last week, service was good, food was plain. Won't be going again. I'm seriously beginning to wonder if there is any good Italian restaurants in Dublin city.

Yes, Enzos on Fairview Strand is excellent.

Blub2k4

I have also been to Da Enzos on Fairview.

It is a great little Trattoria style restaurant. I liked the way they give you the small appetizer and then the ice cream between the two courses, I was very impressed with this place.

I am not trying to be smart but I saved myself €24.00 there using the ezyliving guide, only last Thursday night.

Seriously for all your restaurant goers check it out. www.ezyliving.ie

I have discovered some great restaurants in it, that I never knew even existed.

Also Lisa Trattoria Restaurant over in Terenure is a lovely spot. Excellent Italian Food. Highly recommended by the Italian Embassy......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

fran wrote:
    Blub2k4

I have also been to Da Enzos on Fairview.

It is a great little Trattoria style restaurant. I liked the way they give you the small appetizer and then the ice cream between the two courses, I was very impressed with this place.

I am not trying to be smart but I saved myself €24.00 there using the ezyliving guide, only last Thursday night.

Seriously for all your restaurant goers check it out. www.ezyliving.ie

I have discovered some great restaurants in it, that I never knew even existed.

Also Lisa Trattoria Restaurant over in Terenure is a lovely spot. Excellent Italian Food. Highly recommended by the Italian Embassy......

Hi Fran, yes I have to admit that this place was a good find, was not overly expensive and I was very impressed with the sorbets between courses to clean the pallette. I used to work in the restaurant trade as a waiter and have done a bit of cooking too so consider myself pretty hard to please but this place was definitely a good un on my list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dusty14

Hey Fran

I have come across that ezyliving guide through our social club at work. I have used it a couple of times so far and already it has paid for itself and saved me some money - all good in my book! :) . We used it in prima donna one night, great place if you want some music and atmosphere. Also planning on trying a couple of the activities

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Lady

Went to a great restaurant last night been loads before because the food and service is so good. Unfortunatly it was it's last night last night but there is a cafe of the same name there during the day, definatley worth a try.
    Cafe Metzo, Prussia st. [thats just up from the quays or just off north circular rd.]

Highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kobrien

Dublin

been loadsa times to:

Da Pino
    best pizza in dublin. Lovely spag bol. apparently the paella is fab too. VERY reasonable.

Zaytoon
    best kebabs in dublin. nice atmosphere for a 'fast food' place.

Acupulco
    best nachos. some of the mains are nice, some aren't great.

been a couple of times to:

IFI - bar/restaurant
    great food, nice atmosphere, extremely cheap!

Odessa
    great nachos, mains are ok, nice relaxed atmoshpere downstairs, early bird menu is good value.

been once to:

Siam Thai
    tasty food, but very pricey (mains are 19 plus an extra 3 quid for rice..)

Steps of Rome
    Did the 7.80 early bird, while it wasn't terrible, the food was just too salty and the pasta too bland and overcooked. Wouldn't go back.

Salamanca
    Yummy tapas. Recommended.

The Market Bar
    Interesting bar food menu. Food wasn't as great as it sounded on the menu, but very reasonable.

FXB
    Good value early bird. Pretty good food.

Cafe-Bar-Deli
    Pretty decent food, nothing spectacular. Good value. (no bookings)

Waterford

been loadsa times to:

Tuk Tuk Thai
    very tasty and reasonably priced (tiger prawns in red curry is my fave). Recommended!

Haricots
    wholefood restaurant. Can be very good. Was disappointed once or twice tho.

been once to:

La Palma
    Didn't think it lived up to the hype. Overpriced.

Chez K's
    Food was pretty good - nothing spectacular. Did the early bird which was good value.

Galway

been once to:

Couch potatas
    good food, very reasonable, HUGE portions.

Cork

been once to:

Bully's (Douglas)
    The food was good but not great. Average prices

Eco-Douglas (Douglas)
    Gorgeous food. Very reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kobrien

..also been to a few D15 restaurants:

La Terazza (Blanchardstown Village)
    V good pizzas. Ok pasta. Recently hiked up their prices, but still OK value.

Don Lorenzos (Blanchardstown Village)
    OK pasta. A bit overpriced.

Trentuno's (Castleknock Village)
    hmmm, I've been here a few times. On my first two visits the food was pretty nice. The last few times I've gone it hasn't been great. Not such a big fan anymore..

The 12th Lock
    Great bar food menu. Thai chicken curry is lovely. Same for the Nachos. V good value. This would be my first choice of places to eat out in the Blanchardstown area.

I went out to the Pink Elephant Thai Restaurant in Swords last night. It was lovely. Though obviously being Monday night, there wasn't many people in the restaurant but the food and the service was good. I would recommend the Massaman Curry - It was Truely Scrumptous!!!!

Oh yeah Of course I used my ezyliving guide and saved more money. €15.00 this time!!

Dusty14 You have the Ezyliving guide, would you recommend any other restaurant?

Has anyone else used the it???

Check out www.ezyliving.ie - Oh if you type in 'BOI' as the discount code you will get a discount, should be €25.00. I bought it through my work social club and got the discount.

• Advertisement
Advertisement