Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hardware Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

glynf wrote: »
    Yes, but it rarely happens so i can live with it. I think its just the pump rotor off centre or something, a little tap seems to sort it for me.

It was happening me every time turned on the PC. Knocking it sorted it for a few minutes but it always came back. It's a pity because it is a good cooler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Neilos wrote: »
    That's exactly the same as mine. It seems to be fairly common too. Corsair will RMA it no problem if you send them an e-mail.

How long would I be without it if I were RMA'ing? That's good that they don't mind replacing it anyways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

How long would I be without it if I were RMA'ing? That's good that they don't mind replacing it anyways!

TBH I couldn't tell you. I e-mailed them with a description and told them I'd tried all the fixes suggested on their forum and the replied a day later saying they'll go straight ahead with an RMA. I never actually sent it off though because i ended up going for a custom loop.

The RMA confirmation has this line in it:
    Once your package is received, Corsair will process your replacement order in 3-5 days.

All replacements will be shipped UPS Standard. Please allow 2-4 business days transit time for delivery.

It has to be sent to The Netherlands so it'll depend on the courier you choose to send it through. You could always RMA it through the retailer too.

Neilos wrote: »
    TBH I couldn't tell you. I e-mailed them with a description and told them I'd tried all the fixes suggested on their forum and the replied a day later saying they'll go straight ahead with an RMA. I never actually sent it off though because i ended up going for a custom loop.

The RMA confirmation has this line in it:

It has to be sent to The Netherlands so it'll depend on the courier you choose to send it through. You could always RMA it through the retailer too.

I bought the H100 from dabs so I may send them an email in the morning asking how it works. Sounds like it would be definitely no more than two weeks, which is a really long time but maybe doable. Especially doable these days considering I've got school taking up 90% of my time. I wish I went for a custom loop now but I didn't have the money then, nor do I have it now so I'm going to stick with this h100 for a while I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-FX795ATDFC/dp/B00713RT62/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1349131227&sr=8-3&keywords=hd+7950

This 7950 is significantly cheaper than others. Is there anything wrong with it?

There was a rumoured price drop a few weeks ago but it hasn't materialised yet. I'm about to pull the trigger and I'm just wondering is this a really good deal or some sort of cheap knockoff?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    MSI in trouble as their gtx660Ti and 670 power edition cards are frying, cause they're getting too much power!

MSI redesigned the reference power delivery system by bypassing the PWM circuitry.

" instead of the 5 volts specified by Richtek, the chip is hit with up to 9.3 volts."

MSI's response is:

" We are currently not aware of any other vendor providing this same level of performance and we’ve worked with NVIDIA to ensure that new production models will limit this free overclock boost you currently get. Our new production models with normal GPU Boost function will be on sale next month."

more at Toms

best avoid.

Now thats got me worried, i got a MSI 660ti a few weeks ago.
    Its been very cool so far with no problems at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I'd say you're safe. only a small % of people get ****ed by it, and MSI will likely RMA no questions asked. probably won't last the lifespan of another branded GPU though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

MSI in trouble as their gtx660Ti and 670 power edition cards are frying, cause they're getting too much power!

best avoid.

It's a shame, really like what MSI was doing with their Power / Hawk / Lightning edition cards... They look fantastic and have been benching very well compared to competitors custom cards.

Gbear wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-FX795ATDFC/dp/B00713RT62/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1349131227&sr=8-3&keywords=hd+7950

This 7950 is significantly cheaper than others. Is there anything wrong with it?

There was a rumoured price drop a few weeks ago but it hasn't materialised yet. I'm about to pull the trigger and I'm just wondering is this a really good deal or some sort of cheap knockoff?
    it looks fine, but don't buy it. you'll get charged customs from importing from the states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭N64

Msi make ***** cards though. Military class me arse! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

N64 wrote: »
    Msi make ***** cards though. Military class me arse! :mad:
    Ye had to send back a reference 670 GTX because the noise off the fan was so annoying. Not a high speed noise more a mechanical annoying noise.

All ppl with the annoying H100 noise, this can be fixed in two ways.

Either attach it to a fan controller for power or use a diode to just slightly reduce the voltage.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1236923/corsair-h100-h80-h60-noise-grinding-pump-fix-official-corsair-response

Works a treat.

If you RMA your unit they is a big chancew you will have the same problem.

Beez wrote: »
    All ppl with the annoying H100 noise, this can be fixed in two ways.

Either attach it to a fan controller for power or use a diode to just slightly reduce the voltage.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1236923/corsair-h100-h80-h60-noise-grinding-pump-fix-official-corsair-response

Works a treat.

If you RMA your unit they is a big chancew you will have the same problem.

"The issue had been fixed and the new, corrected units are being delivered to Corsair locations." Is this quote true? and in the case that it is would it be worth my time to RMA and get a 'fixed' one?

I'm having some really annoying problems with my 580 now too. The display drivers keep randomly crashing, and don't recover and then I have to do a hard shutdown. Doesn't happen in safe mode, and I can't repeat the problem on demand either. I've reinstalled drivers, and tried others but it's still happening.

Wish I had gone for a custom loop and quadro 4000 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

hey.
    gf has a netbook around 2-3 months now.
    has died. she rang acer and they will pick it up free, fix it etc.. but if its her fault they charge her the 45 pickup, + parts + costs to fix it.

she dropped it and im pretty sure hdd is just stuck or something..it makes a hum to start up when power is pressed then just dies down and doesnt start, so thinking of replacing it myself (i opened it up to see if it was loose or what also)
    just wondering if they would charge her considering she dropped it and what not (she hasnt said this) but it seems if the hdd is stuck they would assume its shock damage... anyone any idea or experience?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

"The issue had been fixed and the new, corrected units are being delivered to Corsair locations." Is this quote true? and in the case that it is would it be worth my time to RMA and get a 'fixed' one?

I'm having some really annoying problems with my 580 now too. The display drivers keep randomly crashing, and don't recover and then I have to do a hard shutdown. Doesn't happen in safe mode, and I can't repeat the problem on demand either. I've reinstalled drivers, and tried others but it's still happening.

Wish I had gone for a custom loop and quadro 4000 now

Maybe get your hands on driversweeper and nuke all existing traces of Nvidia gpu drivers. Then try a reinstall.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Maybe get your hands on driversweeper and nuke all existing traces of Nvidia gpu drivers. Then try a reinstall.

I'll give that a go tomorrow and then I fear I may reinstall windows if that doesn't work. I really hope it's just a driver issue and I don't have to RMA the card

I bought mine in May this year and it had the problem. Instead of messing about sending it back and risking getting another faulty unit I tried the simple diode fix and it worked a charm. Made the pump pretty much silent and temps stayed the same.

Beez wrote: »
    I bought mine in May this year and it had the problem. Instead of messing about sending it back and risking getting another faulty unit I tried the simple diode fix and it worked a charm. Made the pump pretty much silent and temps stayed the same.

I knew I was meant to do something today, I forgot to get the diode!
    I'll pick one up tomorrow if I remember and give it a try. Now that I know there's a problem I can't hear anything but the grinding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

AMD FM2 Processors have been released today. No sign of them on Pixmania or Komplett yet, but the A10-5800K is on dabs.ie for €123 with free shipping.

The reviews of it have been quite good too it seems. From what I can see, this range seems ideal for the basic user but has the ability to play some games at reasonable resolutions and settings without the need of a dedicated graphics card.

I have seen a few reviews where a dedicated graphics card was included in the review and the results were impressive (depending on the review).

Overall, most reviews seem to agree it should be a contender for low end systems and entry level gaming although I would like to see some users real world experience before this happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

I knew I was meant to do something today, I forgot to get the diode!
    I'll pick one up tomorrow if I remember and give it a try. Now that I know there's a problem I can't hear anything but the grinding!

Just remember it only goes one way. I thought mine was not working at first until i swapped it around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

From just looking at the specs, the Dell is brighter.

Both myself and ShadowComplex have the Dell 23" and we both are very happy with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

Hi,
    Can anyone recommend a mATX motherboard for a Phenom II x2 555 unlocked to x4 B55 (essentially a Phenom II x4 955)?

I'll be overclocking to 3.8 and have no need for SLI/CF support, SATA II and USB 2.0 will suffice but if there is SATA III and USB 3.0 onboard thats cool!

Will be running a 6870 so onboard graphics are unimportant.

Budget is approx 100euro but I'm flexible..
    Thanks,
    Moo

a short but good review on Trinity dual GPU support (ie CF with igp)

www.hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/46157-amd-a10-5800k-dual-graphics-evaluation/

good for low budgets and HTPC, but once you go discreet in almost any fashion, you'd be better on 1155.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Solid budget IPS and has some very good reviews, however this site specifically mentions the Dell as being a better gaming option than this, and also going beyond the basics the Dells have a full 3 year warranty, much greater movement ranges (tilt, swivel, pivot etc), usb hubs and a vast array of inputs, certainly more than enough to justify the extra few quid if you can spare it IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

a short but good review on Trinity dual GPU support (ie CF with igp)

www.hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/46157-amd-a10-5800k-dual-graphics-evaluation/

good for low budgets and HTPC, but once you go discreet in almost any fashion, you'd be better on 1155.

I have actually been reading a lot of reviews of this at the moment and most seem contradictory when it come to the graphics section. In every other section and in the conclusions, every review seems to say that they are very good chips and would be good for HTPCs. However, I have also seen a few reviews recommending them for low end gaming PCs.

Even with regards the Hexus review that you linked, if you read the Rage3D review, it seems to directly contradict the hexus review, although the Rage3D review seems to use some unusual settings, perhaps in an attempt to favour the AMD chip.

I would like to see more reviews of what happens when you put a good graphics card in to the machine and compare it to the competition. Techspot have done this, where they added a GTX580 and compared this system against i3s and i7s and it seems to compare favorably with current games. Guru3D have also done this but have found what seems like completely contradictory results, saying that it fair considerably worse than its rivals. There is also one other review that uses a 7850 with the chip and show that it performs well, but unfortunately does not compare these tests vs anything else (can't seem to find that review right now).

My main problem with most of the reviews is that there is no consistency and some gaping holes in their methods, for example in the Techspot vs Guru3D reviews and the Hexus vs Rage3D reviews all seem to contradict each other when it comes to the gaming benches.

As long as you are buying the CPU for casual use, as a HTPC or low end gaming, it seems like a very good idea. However, if you are buying the CPU and intend to play a moderate amount of games on it, then I would wait and see if any consensus can be reached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

In the techspot review, the only i3s/i5s it's beating are the two generation old Nahelms. Sandy and Ivy Bridge chips win with a discrete card. It's fairly consistent. Sandy and Ivy are clearly better still at performing per core CPU performance. vr-zone did a review with a discrete card too. Intel are going to win out, but it does show that you're not tremendously held back so it's still a reasonable option for someone who wants to upgrade from the integrated graphics. The main goal of it is to use the integrated graphics. If you don't, then you ought to be looking at another CPU.

Edit: Actually there's an Ivy Bridge CPU below in one of the tests, but I'd hardly consider 2 frames a victory.

Little update on my loud H100. I forgot to get the diode again today, but I got an email back for corsair support. Email said that I should RMA it, and that I can request an advance RMA, so I'll be able to swap on the same day. Took a while to reply but otherwise corsair support seems grand. I'll probably do the advanced rma, and if it gets loud again ill do the diode trick

Little update on my loud H100. I forgot to get the diode again today, but I got an email back for corsair support. Email said that I should RMA it, and that I can request an advance RMA, so I'll be able to swap on the same day. Took a while to reply but otherwise corsair support seems grand. I'll probably do the advanced rma, and if it gets loud again ill do the diode trick

Worth a try I suppose. At least you wont be without it for any time. This is a bad flaw but I still love my H100. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Pricing of AMD Radeon HD7800, HD7700 being slashed @XbitLabs

Article here:
    Advanced Micro Devices on Thursday informed about reduced prices of its mainstream and performance-mainstream graphics cards. The company and its partners continue to lower pricing in a bid to better compete against Nvidia Corp.'s growing lineup of Kepler-architecture GeForce 600-series graphics cards.

Starting today, AMD Radeon HD 7850 1GB costs $159 (after rebate), whereas the 2GB version carries $189 official price-tag. The AMD Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition graphics board now has manufacturer suggested retail price of $119. AMD and its partners specifically reduced price of sub-$200 graphics boards to improve positions in the most popular segment of graphics boards.

AMD is pre-empting the 650ti I presume? I really hope that the GTX 650ti turns out to be great, and maybe we'll see more cuts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Eboggles wrote: »
    Pricing of AMD Radeon HD7800, HD7700 being slashed @XbitLabs

Article here:

AMD is pre-empting the 650ti I presume? I really hope that the GTX 650ti turns out to be great, and maybe we'll see more cuts?

Is this their 3rd round of cuts? Has anyone actually kept score on how much prices have gone down so far on places like HWVS, amazon, pixmania etc?

Just curious to see how it's translating over here.

Wooooooooo! Something in the mid 100s, finally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Respect to AMD in all fairness. Can someone throw a shoe at nvidia and wake them up. Fecking 680 is still around 500eu!!!

By the way guys, what's better for gaming? An i3 2120 with a HD 7750 or an A10 5800k CF'd with a HD6670? This is assuming that overclocking is involved.

EDIT: Never mind, I just found out the HD7750 is actually the same price as the HD6670. I think that answers that one!

Bit angry now since I bought my 7850 for €230 :mad: Although I did get both DIRT and sleeping dogs for free (dabs gave me a free copy because of my RMA) :D

I thought it was pixmania, or was that a second 7850?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

N64 wrote: »
    Bit angry now since I bought my 7850 for €230 :mad: Although I did get both DIRT and sleeping dogs for free (dabs gave me a free copy because of my RMA) :D

That must have been a good while ago was it? I got the XFX DD 7870 a couple weeks ago for less than that.

Monotype wrote: »
    I thought it was pixmania, or was that a second 7850?

second one, but I had to RMA that :(:D

I got a new PSU now and the build I am on is running the same (minus the annoying squealing noise) Why else would the manufacturer deem the cards to be faulty though if it was my rig? Must be a heap of bad luck I got

is it me or HDD prices starting to go waaaay down? maybe about time to get some nice 2TB hdd just for junk and porn?

They're not falling as fast as SSDs, but yeah, they're slowly going down. Still not anywhere near as low as they were.

• Advertisement

They're not falling as fast as SSDs, but yeah, they're slowly going down. Still not anywhere near as low as they were.

still better then it was though. when you think about it, i bough 500gb for 100eu, now 100eu could get you 2tb storage hdd.

its a shame i am as broke as church mouse... :(

GTX 650Ti review leaked

It's around stock HD6870 performance when overclocked, and pre-overclocked ones such as this Gigabyte Windforce 2GB version are coming in at just under €170.

EalCi.gif

Kinda underwhelming, but the review looks a bit dodgy so here's hoping that it's a fake.

Eboggles wrote: »
    GTX 650Ti review leaked

It's around stock HD6870 performance when overclocked, and pre-overclocked ones such as this Gigabyte Windforce 2GB version are coming in at just under €170.

EalCi.gif

Kinda underwhelming, but the review looks a bit dodgy so here's hoping that it's a fake.

if thats true, then it is very useless card. 6870 is cheaper and beter card for the money. with price drop of 7850 7870 it looks even worse for nvidia

6870s have been disappearing and getting more expensive though. I was hoping for something a bit more like the 560ti. At 6870 prices. However, with the recent price slashes of the 7850, I think that fills that area. They'd want to be pricing these less than 150 euros.

Kinda pointless of NVidia to only now get around to filling their entire range of 6xx cards, as AMD have presumeably been doing a very steady trade all along in the mid ranges, and certainly must have a very stable production supply by now, and so are now in a great position to make the price cuts that will undermine anything that NVidia release.

Mostly though I am just pissed off that the very time I don't have the cash anymore the 7850/7870 are dropping into the price ranges where I would have been throwing money at them a few month ago :p.

While manfacturing levels are long gone back up, I think the major manufacturers are trying to draw out the increased profit margins for as long as possible.

Not that they are fixing prices or anything but I don't think there is the appetite there for a serious price war. But you do get the feeling that a some point in the near future those ever falling SSD prices will force their hand.

marco_polo wrote: »
    While manfacturing levels are long gone back up, I think the major manufacturers are trying to draw out the increased profit margins for as long as possible.

Not that they are fixing prices or anything but I don't think there is the appetite there for a serious price war. But you do get the feeling that a some point in the near future those ever falling SSD prices will force their hand.

Yeah, I was reading a few reports through this year stating that hard drive supply has actually surpassed what it was pre flood levels. Of course, with the merger of some major manufactures, this means that the companies have no need to reduce the prices significantly.

I bet we will see a price fixing charges brought upon them in the next few years because of this :pac: Its not the first time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anyone see HDDs being made obsolete in the next decade by SSDs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

In the next decade? Quite probably. I wouldn't count HDDs out just yet though. There's been a few things around to suggest that we might be seeing 6-10TB drives in the next couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

Serephucus wrote: »
    In the next decade? Quite probably. I wouldn't count HDDs out just yet though. There's been a few things around to suggest that we might be seeing 6-10TB drives in the next couple of years.

oO wow those would be incredible :)
    at the rate we are going though im not surprised alright.

Advertisement