Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed penalty charge

Options
  • 19-10-2014 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Iv reported a fixed penalty charge to the Garda ombudsman. I'm just wondering should I still pay the fine as times is up in couple days or should I leave it as iv reported it. If I don't pay it in few days it will go to court but as iv said I have reported it to Garda ombudsman.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

You reported it to the Ombudsman? They can't cancel fixed charge penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Hunter333

Ya. Who do I report it to or is it matter of goin to court?

I think you have to appeal direct to the fixed charge processing office these days. It won't be done in a few days. In addition, if you went to the Ombudsman about it, I get the feeling it isn't a technical issue so I can't see it being cancelled by the appeal process.

Hunter333 wrote: »
    Ya. Who do I report it to or is it matter of goin to court?

Do you want to challenge the ticket? Do you think you didn't do anything wrong? If so, don't pay and wait for the summons and argue your case in court. But be prepared for a bigger punishment if convicted. Also, be prepared to have a conviction if that is the case.

Are you just upset that you were caught? If so, suck it up and pay it.

If you think the Garda did something wrong or was unprofessional towards you go to the Ombudsman. If you do this it will not stop the fine going up and after the second 28 days a summons being issued.

The reason I'm upset is dat I was pulled for hitting the brakes on a roundabout to avoid hitting a taxi that drove straight on on front of me. If I didn't stop I was straight into it. Then I get a fixed charge in the post for not having a seatbelt on. I did have it on and that had no reason why I was stopped. So yes I am upset for getting a fixed notice charge for avoiding a accident and then get the notice saying I had no seat belt on

• Advertisement

The reason I'm upset is dat I was pulled for hitting the brakes on a roundabout to avoid hitting a taxi that drove straight on on front of me. If I didn't stop I was straight into it. Then I get a fixed charge in the post for not having a seatbelt on. I did have it on and that had no reason why I was stopped. So yes I am upset for getting a fixed notice charge for avoiding a accident and then get the notice saying I had no seat belt on

So, the Garda is saying you didn't have your seatbelt on and that is why you got the FCPS. Leave the taxi out of it, the taxi had nothing to do with your seatbelt.

If it is your version that you were wearing it then go to court and argue it. If you think the Garda is correct pay it.

No the reason he pulled me is cause it the incident with the taxi. I had my seatbelt on at al times but I still got the notice for wearing no seatbelt. I stopped on roundabout to avoid hitting taxi and I was stopped for dangerous driving which makes no sense.

It's al in num 6. I was pulled because I stored to avoid hitting a taxi that came out on front of me. I had my seatbelt on but the notice says I'm been fined for not having it on. Also what was I stopped for stopping to avoid a accident

Should have just appealed through the regular channels straight away.

No the reason he pulled me is cause it the incident with the taxi. I had my seatbelt on at al times but I still got the notice for wearing no seatbelt. I stopped on roundabout to avoid hitting taxi and I was stopped for dangerous driving which makes no sense.

Regardless of what you were stopped for you have told us the fine, if it is a single fine, is for not wearing your seatbelt. As I have said, if you disagree then you are entitled to have your say in court. The Garda will give evidence, you'll give evidence, the judge will decide.

• Advertisement

If I go to court will it affect my credit rating

Why would it do that?

If you mean for non payment of the FCPS then I would guess at no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

I'm still wondering what GSOC has to do with this...

GSOC???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Iv reported a fixed penalty charge to the Garda ombudsman. I'm just wondering should I still pay the fine as times is up in couple days or should I leave it as iv reported it. If I don't pay it in few days it will go to court but as iv said I have reported it to Garda ombudsman.
    GSOC???

An Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission. You said you reported your situation to the Garda Ombudsman.

Now I have a question: Report by RTE states that Complaints to our Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission are up by 14% in the first 9-months of the year; would instances like this also be classified under those percentages I wonder.
    Linkie to RTE right here.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

bravestar wrote: »

"I'll drop the complaint if the ticket/summons/charge is cancelled" is not an irregular phrase to be heard.
    kerry4sam wrote: »
    An Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission. You said you reported your situation to the Garda Ombudsman.

Now I have a question: Report by RTE states that Complaints to our Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission are up by 14% in the first 9-months of the year; would instances like this also be classified under those percentages I under.
    Linkie to RTE right here.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

30% of them were inadmissable. A further 9% weren't cooperated with by the complainant. Less than 3% of complaints resulted in discipline or dpp referral.

bravestar wrote: »

Possibly misbelief that this is where you challenge FCPS's.

"I'll drop the complaint if the ticket/summons/charge is cancelled" is not an irregular phrase to be heard.

30% of them were inadmissable. A further 9% weren't cooperated with by the complainant. Less than 3% of complaints resulted in discipline or dpp referral.

Thanks. Can you provide me with a linkie for your stats please?

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

GSOC what is that?

• Advertisement

GSOC what is that?

Have a look at what GSOC is/are right here.

/maybe that's where the stats above came from. Must look.

Thanks. Can you provide me with a linkie for your stats please?

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Try reading past the headlines in future.

http://www.newstalk.com/Complaints-against-Gardai-up-14

Which is? I didn't know where else to report

foreign wrote: »
    Try reading past the headlines in future.

http://www.newstalk.com/Complaints-against-Gardai-up-14

If it's going to be too difficult to just provide a linkie without your smart jibe, then perhaps you should just put me on your ignore list and not respond to me in future :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Which is? I didn't know where else to report

Indeed. Or 'what' to report, it seems...

I know exactly what to report.

1. Stopped for trying to avoid accident and accused of dangerous drivin.

2. Getting a fixed charge for know seat belt. I had seat belt on

Have a look at what GSOC is/are right here.

/maybe that's where the stats above came from. Must look.

http://gardaombudsman.ie/publications/quarterlystatistics.html

Takes a bit of logic as they report on "outcomes" as opposed to complaints and it seems each case can have multiple outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

I know exactly what to report.

1. Stopped for trying to avoid accident and accused of dangerous drivin.

2. Getting a fixed charge for know seat belt. I had seat belt on

You have nothing to report...

1. It is irrelevant why you were stopped.

2. If you are accused of a crime, the only place sort it out is in a court room.

If it's going to be too difficult to just provide a linkie without your smart jibe, then perhaps you should just put me on your ignore list and not respond to me in future :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

I think my post was a fair one. You posted a headline which implies that Gardaí are dodgy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement