Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College laptop with some gaming

• 21-07-2014 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi guys, I really haven't a bog when it comes to comparing laptops so I'm looking for onw that I can use for college but I'd also like to do some gaming on it. Ideally I'd like to be able to play the witcher 2 because I've been wanting to play it for ages so we'll set the benchmark there. I'm on a tight budget, I'd say €550-600 is the most I'd be able to spend. I'm aware that the witcher is a fairly graphics intensive game so if I'm getting nowhere near a laptop of that capability for €600 let me know!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lenovo is your best bet here, student discount helps get some bang for your buck. But true gaming laptops start at €1000 and event then theyre not great value for money.

http://shop.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/lenovo/g-series/g505s/

The A10 is very capable and the 8570 will decent settings on current games. Dont expect 1080p High 60fps on bf4 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Agreed. Unfortunately Witcher is a very demanding game too. Laptops struggle big time with games and even several 1000 euro gaming laptops struggle with games that a 1000 euro custom built rig would ease through due to the amount of heat being produced in such a small area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The A10 is really the only choice in that range, and in terms of overall performance it's a bit of a compromise over an i5, but, it's going to give you better graphic output as a trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jc4517

The A10 definitely looks nice, slimline which I was going for, to fit in my bag. Apart from the witcher I wouldn't be looking to play many graphics intensive games, mainly indie titles to be honest! I just reeeeally want to play the witcher :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Hey, I'm also in the market for a laptop in this range.

Does anyone know where you can get one ordered with windows 7 installed rather than windows 8?

• Advertisement

Hijacking this thread, but if i had to choose between Acer, Lenovo and Toshiba, who should i go to for quality? Specs and price are equal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You'll get different answers from different people, but my two cents:

Acer: Avoid. Used to build really really solid units back 6 or 8 years ago but their build quality has dropped a lot. Theyre responsible for the abomination that is eMachines too.

Lenovo and Tosh are similar. Toshs tend to be pretty ruggedly built but can be a little fat for it, lenovo have nice ABS/similar shells which tends to have them a small bit lighter and they look better personally. Not a huge amount in it between em. Id find the models in store and find out which has the better screen and KB in person. Thats the killer factor.

ED E wrote: »
    You'll get different answers from different people, but my two cents:

Acer: Avoid. Used to build really really solid units back 6 or 8 years ago but their build quality has dropped a lot. Theyre responsible for the abomination that is eMachines too.

Lenovo and Tosh are similar. Toshs tend to be pretty ruggedly built but can be a little fat for it, lenovo have nice ABS/similar shells which tends to have them a small bit lighter and they look better personally. Not a huge amount in it between em. Id find the models in store and find out which has the better screen and KB in person. Thats the killer factor.

Thanks for the response. Getting them second hand on adverts, but i'll prob avoid the Acer then. Cheers :)

Advertisement