Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speeding fine

• 11-03-2015 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Firstly I am not here to moan or complain. Simply to seek advice and clarification. I have been driving for 10 years without ever being caught or fined for speeding. Today i arrived home and found a speeding fine in the post.

It was on a road i have traveled for years. It was for doing 59 in a 50 kmph zone. Is the tolerances for this really this tight. that's equivalent to 5.5MPH.

I drive lenght and breath of Ireland for work and really do my best to keep in or on speed limit so am a little annoyed to be stung for 9kmph.

So like i said is there any tolerance allowance on speed vans and for car speedo's.

Im sure i will have to pay and suck it up just find it interesting.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

lucanone wrote: »
    Firstly I am not here to moan or complain. Simply to seek advice and clarification. I have been driving for 10 years without ever being caught or fined for speeding. Today i arrived home and found a speeding fine in the post.

It was on a road i have traveled for years. It was for doing 59 in a 50 kmph zone. Is the tolerances for this really this tight. that's equivalent to 5.5MPH.

I drive lenght and breath of Ireland for work and really do my best to keep in or on speed limit so am a little annoyed to be stung for 9kmph.

So like i said is there any tolerance allowance on speed vans and for car speedo's.

Im sure i will have to pay and suck it up just find it interesting.

thanks

You wete nearly twenty percent over the limit
    pay the fine and get over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

thats interesting really, ive always thought if i was doing less than 10mph the limit you'd get away with it . thanks for that.
    curiosity complete .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Wasn't there a development recently where a Judge threw out a lot of cases
    for speeding. Look it up & see if you have some leeway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Generally though not a motoring aficionado, my speedometer reads about 10% quicker than my actual speed. So the most I could go is 55 in a 50 zone. How do I know well I have closely checked my speedometer when passing one of those units that tells you how fast your going and if your going too fast it pops up to slow down or something equivalent I can't remember the exact wording.
    But yes once your going 51 km you are technically and in the physical sense driving faster than the allowable speed limit and yes you can be fined as you have been I'm afraid. It's easy do no matter how careful you are. We are not robots.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 lucanone

Stheno wrote: »
    You wete nearly twenty percent over the limit
    pay the fine and get over it

Good man...advice and clarification! You have offered none. Get over what. I havent once bitched or moaned?

• Advertisement

cheers for helpful advice and comments lads. Yeah thats what i was wondering , like what percentage is it? Garda informed me they would not have done me for it but she said vans are set differently, she said there is a tolerance but was not sure what it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Whatever tolerance it was, 18% which you were over the speed limit would have to be a really big tolerance to go by.

It would make sense to go by percentage tolerance (f.e. no fine up to 10% over the limit), but unfortunately it doesn't work like that in Ireland.

Also it would make sense to make speeding fines graduated, so the more you are above speed limit the bigger the fine. But again nothing like this works in Ireland.

Being fined the same for doing 59 on 50 as someone doing 95 on 50 is just silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I'd consider that a fair bit over. I'd consider 109 in 100 a fair bit over too.

I don't know what the tolerances are before they will fine, and I doubt they would make it public knowledge, but if I was fined for doing 53 in a 50 I would think it was a bit harsh.

Then again 50 is 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

cheers for helpful advice and comments lads. Yeah thats what i was wondering , like what percentage is it? Garda informed me they would not have done me for it but she said vans are set differently, she said there is a tolerance but was not sure what it was.
    There are 2 tolerances. The tolerance on your speedometer which can range from reading bang on to over-reading by up to 10%+4km/h.
    If you were detected doing an actual speed of 59km/h then your speedometer was showing anything from 59km/h to as possible 69km/h.

The other tolerance is the tolerance used by the vans. I believe a poster on another thread has mentioned a figure of about 3km/h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

When I'm in Kerry I often buy the local paper and read the court cases.
    Often its mick murphy doing 51 in a 50 zone..3 points 80euro fine.

• Advertisement

moleyv wrote: »

I don't know what the tolerances are before they will fine, and I doubt they would make it public knowledge, but if I was fined for doing 53 in a 50 I would think it was a bit harsh.

Then again 50 is 50.

why would this not be public knowledge?

It should be for obvious reasons. I can see the uk police has published theirs but found nothing about ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

moleyv wrote: »

I was doing 108-109km/h (on 100km/h limit) up to about 40 metres in front of speed van, and then slowed down to about 104km/h when a tiny infrared flash fired.
    It was 6 weeks ago, and so far I didn't receive anything.

Then again 50 is 50.

If only all other rules of the road were so policed on Irish road, then it would be all great.
    Unfortunately speed seems to be the only one which we are bother about. Not good.

When I'm in Kerry I often buy the local paper and read the court cases.
    Often its mick murphy doing 51 in a 50 zone..3 points 80euro fine.

Will they ever leave poor mick alone

Just to clarify I am a bold boy and guilty of speeding,

I will be sending my 80 notes off to co clare like i should. the reason i posted up was to see if anyone knew speed van tolerances. thanks for the helpful comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

CiniO wrote:
    I was doing 108-109km/h (on 100km/h limit) up to about 40 metres in front of speed van, and then slowed down to about 104km/h when a tiny infrared flash fired. It was 6 weeks ago, and so far I didn't receive anything.

What I was saying is I consider it too much and wouldn't have much sympathy if someone got a ticket for 109 in a 100. And I wouldn't complain if I got one either.

I don't know what the tolerances are on a speed van or speedo. But I doubt 109 is 100.

The reality is there is some tolerance, and if you are sent a ticket the reality is your speedo more than likely read higher than what is on the ticket.

I think the obvious reason the tolerances aren't made public is if we were told there is 5kmph tolerance, we would all drive 5kmph over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭9935452

It would be interesting to know. I was always told 10% which would make it 55kmph.

Locally i think there are more speed vans out . I went on a 100km drive and met 3 speed vans all in sneaky 50/60kmph speed limits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

caution High Horse zone

High-Horse-09-18-13-400x400.jpg

What is the relevance of that Hachiko?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

9935452 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know. I was always told 10% which would make it 55kmph.

Locally i think there are more speed vans out . I went on a 100km drive and met 3 speed vans all in sneaky 50/60kmph speed limits

I always thought it was 10% too

Advertisement