Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry but I've far too much time on my hands

Options
  • 01-09-2003 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭

In the first Terminator John Connor sends Reece back in time ???
    Yes
    Reece then has 'the sex' with Sarah Connor???
    Yes
    Their intimate moment produces John Connor????
    Yes
    Then surely Johgn Connor cant send Reece back as he wasnt concieved yet???????
    Yes/No
    Oh and just in acase you were about to say it, I know its just a film:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bewildered

Thankyou. I am now suitably confused. YAY.

Oh and by the way, its just a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

forget it its a paradox. just like i you go back and kill your father before you are concived that means you are never born so you never go back in time to kill your father which means you do get concived and then do go back in time and do kill him and BOOM the universe has decided that its all to stupid and collapses in on itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

John Connor's father was Reese (sp?).

Reese was born let's say around the same time as John Connor (or maybe later) - after Judgement day they fight together and John sends him back to protect his mother. He and Sarah then have sex and John is born.

John has been conceived. It's not that confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

But if he hadnt sent him back he wouldnt have been born.
    So, before he sent him back he hadnt been born. How does someone who is not yet alive send someone back in time?

Look your all just confusing the H#ll out of me.

Its BLOODY IMPOSIBLE TO FIGURE OUT!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Clearly you do have way too much time on your hands

a man after my own heart

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Going back in time and killing your father is done very enjoyable in the BBC's Doctor Who range of books... but that's aside from the point here.

Original Timeline (as of T1):

Some point, c. 2010 say, Reese is sent back to the past to protect Sarah. He does, he conceives John Connor. However in T1 they do nothing to stop the Skynet future - they in fact accelerate it - so therefore Reese will still come about. It's a slightly new timeline perhaps, but Reese is still in it to come back.

Now in T2, Sarah sets about to destroy Skynet. The timeline still has Reese in it. We've never done anything to change that. Sarah (apparently) defeats Skynet and so now you're left thinking, how is Reese ever sent back? But with T3:
    We know she loses. In fact they all lose. Skynet will win. They never stopped Reese from being born so Reese can always come back. Alternatively, the Reese that did come back was a Reese from an original time line who now doesn't exist in the new time line. It branched off at a certain point but Reese was able to travel back to the pre-branching phase...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

it is impossible to go back in time, but you can go forward in time, . . . . it's called a coma!!

Wow what year is it? Where is my family? Why does my ass hurt so much?? Why is that Elton John lookalike doc givin me the eye?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,867 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It is possible to go back in time. Not just in theory. I did it last night when I was tired in bed while listening to Duran Duran. I went back to the 80's and now I'm back in Monday 1st September again. Unfortunately I'm not getting paid for the extra monday in work but at least I won't miss CSI again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭artvandelay

Another paradox of the film is if the machines killed john connor, in the future the man john conor would never have been become know. So why would the machine go back in time to kill someone they never knew existed, one reason they were destent to fail, as john connor is in the future he was never killed in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭avatar

umm... i hate to destroy the party atmosphere, boys and girls, but I fear i must inject some reality... It's a f**king MOVIE. A classic, I'll admit, but still, just a movie. Go back to your lives, citizens, there's nothing to see here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Lads, ffs!!!
    It's not that difficult to figure out.

A single linear timeline, and the concept of destiny = no paradox.

Although, that's not taking into account T3, where they did change the timeline, but lets face it... T1&2 wasn't written with T3 in mind.

Advertisement