Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Class Movies you may have missed....

Options
  • 05-08-2003 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭

I had the pleasure last sunday of watching Boondock Saints. I only heard about it on here a while back, so after checking a few reviews, and not finding it to rent anywhere, I spent 6 yoyos or so getting it shipped from play.com.

Twas a class movie, great crack from the start, with some great performances.

I consider myself at least a bit of a movie buff, so how come I never heard of it?

So I'm wondering, what other gems have I missed? If you've seen a movie that feck all have heard of, and you were shocked by it's quality, post it here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

there was a very long thread like this about a month ago

-Donnie Darko ( everyones heard of it now though )

-Ravenous ( I never heard of it untill a few months ago )

-Battle Royale

-Braindead / Bad Taste ( Peter Jacksons early movies )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭patch

Originally posted by Tusky
    there was a very long thread like this about a month ago

I saw the old thread, but while those are all class movies, I've seen and heard of them! I'm hoping to find a few rarities...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i don't know how many of you have seen Lawn Dogs. it is a really good film IMO. all about some guy who cuts peoples lawns and doesn't get on with anyone except for a 10 year old girl

can anyone verify that Slingblade is a great movie? I think Billy Bob Thornton got an oscar for it.
    I've never seen it to rent, but it's been on tv a couple of times. Which I've always missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Ravenous... with Robert Carlyle isn't it? Didn't like that at all. Very silly I thought.

Got out Adaption last night, that was very good (from the writer and director of Being John Malkovich).

I'd also recommend Darren Aronofsky Pi, and his second film Requiem for a Dream. Not the easiest films to watch (particularly Requim..), but definitely very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

this is a great movie. I never thought much of Billy Bob before I saw this movie but I have to say you could hardly recognise him he took the role on so well. Definately a must-see for rarities.
    It gave me an auld lump in my throat at the end i must say.

Saw "The Wicker Man" a few weeks ago (Christopher Lee and Edward Woodward aka The Equalizer). Apparently the "best horror movie to come out of the U.K. it was a bit freaky alright. frightening even, but in a different sort of way. Woodward was brilliant in it.

Hana Bi, Goninn and Brother are three good Beat Takeshi films.
    Ichi the Killer and Versus are both very good.
    Drive is a decent hollywood beat em up.
    Brotherhood of the Wolf is an excellant film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Wicker Man, SlingBlade = Class!

Battle Royale, Lawn Dogs, Pi = Boo-erns!

//

My reccomendation is 'Rashomon'.

Japanese, Old as hell and all movie buffs have probably already seen it by now anyway but I saw it again a few weeks ago on TV and so many of the scenes in it are still fresh in my mind and begging to be watched again. Good thing I taped it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Two of my most recent favourite films that weren't put on general release are......

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind and 25th Hour.

25th is out on r1 dvd atm, and confessions is out in september. not sure of their release on r2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

I just watched Boondock Saints recently and I must say its an amazing movie. The fact that I've been living in Boston these last 6 months and knew most of the places it was filmed at added a bit. Its scary how few people have seen/heard of this movie which I'm sure if it got anywhere near the advertising that the likes of Gigli gets it would be fecking huge. Is it easier for Indie flicks to make it big (Full Monty, 28 days later and so on) in England then it is in America do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ravenous... with Robert Carlyle isn't it? Didn't like that at all. Very silly I thought.

i loved it :) wasnt suposed to be taken seriously - great music and acting and i loved the shots and location

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Also saw Dahmer at the weekend. About the serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer. An excellent movie and not the usual blood & guts, cop-chasing-killer-who leaves-cryptic-clues type serial killer movie. Very pyscological and a little disturbing. worth watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

Disliked pi, and a critically acclaimed foregn film called Man eats dog
    Liked Ravenous Lawn Dogs
    Thought Brotherhood of the Wolf was ok.

Ghost Dog is very good. Got it out from XtraVision too.
    So is Happiness, although it's quite depressing.
    Xistenz i liked, although not everybody would. David Cronenburg but not as weird and wainky as most of his films.

Speaking of Ghost Dog, which I really liked, the director made a couple of movies a few years back called Smoke and Blue In The Face. Whilst the latter is more of a documentary, Smoke is a really good movie, all star cast and some great performances. It centres around a cigar store owned by Harvey Keitel.

A few more which sprung to mind,
    Meet the Feebles. Good Peter Jackson film. An X rated muppets episode.
    Subway. Excellant Luc Besson film.
    Martin. A good Romero film.
    Also look out for The Boondock Saints 2. It supposed to start out with a more indept look at the court room scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Actually, that reminds me. There's a fantastic Peter Jackson movie out there that has completely slipped under the radar called "Forgotten Silver". It's a mockumentary about a "lost" New Zealand filmmaker and his struggles to make his vision of an epic, silent version of Salome. Along the way, he accepts money from a rich bible salesman, the russian mafia (pretending to make a Russian Propaganda Film, but really just giving them Salome repackaged), and a fantastic chap called "Stan the Man" who, according to Jackson, was the original Rodney King.

It's a fantastic movie. Very easy to enjoy, but very hard to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Most people have heard of it but Adaptation is great! and if you haven't seen it, you really have to

Another oldish one is Suicide Kings. Christopher Walken is a mobster, kidnapped by a group of guys including Sean Patrick Flannery, who was one of the Boondock saints.

Another oldish one is Suicide Kings.

Suicide Kings is on either BBC1 or BBC2 tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 johnpl

"the salton sea" with val kilmer is a class film and well worth the rental price. kilmer is brilliant in this film and also watch out for a character called 'pooh-bear' played by vincent d'onofrio - he is such an evil character and he has no nose (watch the movie to find out why)!! it was great to see kilmer in a good role again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

ya i liked that too. its been on sky movies loads late at night.

a sequal:
    Plot Summary for
    Boondock II: All Saints Day (2003)

The story starts with a bit more in depth on the court house scene which ended the last film. As soon as they blow Yakavetta away, it is revealed that the MacManus father and sons have been hiding out deep in the glens and valleys of Ireland for three years. Connor and Murphy are quite content with this "natural" life and their pasts begin to seem faded and worn. But soon they recieve a "sign" and are called back into action as a pastor is murdered in a Boston church and the crime scene is staged to make it look like the work of the Saints

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0330083

City of God was fabulous and i know so many people who haven't seen it. One of the best films i've ever seen.

the salton sea" with val kilmer is a class film and well worth the rental price. kilmer is brilliant in this film and also watch out for a character called 'pooh-bear' played by vincent d'onofrio - he is such an evil character and he has no nose (watch the movie to find out why)!! it was great to see kilmer in a good role again.

I have been trying to get The salton Sea for ages. The fella in Xtra Vision said that the Northern Ireland stores had got it in but the stores in the Republic hadnt. He said it could be to do with the censors. Has it been banned or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a great but lesser known movie.
    Johnny depp is a reporter in the 60's who goes on the worlds greatest drug trip. Very funny, must see if you havnt already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 johnpl

my local chartbusters store (in lucan, dublin) have loads of copies of 'the salton sea' so i don't think there was any problems with the censors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

I liked "Heathers". its got Christian Slater (bear with me) and Winona Ryder (its still good). "Kuffs" was pretty good too.

Obvious one: "Naked" by Mike Leigh. thats a fantastic movie.

by the way Kuffs has Milla Jovovich dancing in her underwear. and Bruce Boxleitner (for all you Babylon 5/The Scarecrow & Mrs King fanatics out there) not dancing in his underwear.

after all these years going to the IFC why can't I remember other films....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Solaris, Mirror and Stalker by Andrei Tarkovsky

Metropolis by Fritz Lang

Fellini's 8 & 1/2

The Killer by Stanley Kubrick

Three Colours Blue, White and Red

and Pi is a ****ing amazing film

Originally posted by Jimi-Spandex
    Solaris, Mirror and Stalker by Andrei Tarkovsky

Metropolis by Fritz Lang

Fellini's 8 & 1/2

The Killer by Stanley Kubrick

Three Colours Blue, White and Red

and Pi is a ****ing amazing film

I think you mean The Killing, and you're correct, it's my favorite old heist movie. :)
    I really must get pi out, I hear nothing but good word about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Ah yes I stand corrected, The Killing

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0049406

Quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

Death machine... great flick (so silly it's funny, look under Sci-Fi)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Prophecy 1 - 3
    [Christopher Walken]

1: Best of lot, Watched it at bout 3am ... falling asleep until 3mins into film which tends to wake you up.

2 : Lacks a lot from first - however still avg. film to watch, and if want to watch third, kinda necessary

3 : Not as good as first - better than second, with some nice fight scenes in it [and glowy things - which always good]

Quick Summary of trilogy in general [without giving too much away]

War in heaven between angels, angels not necessarly good :D
    Really don't want to give anything away - definitely worth watching ... if read paradise lost/regained/bible ... will probably cop some of the subtlities - which is why first one beats other two ... lovely little subtle parts.

[First one also contains "Aragorn" as a character ... as it was pointed out to me]

Advertisement