Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another driver behaviour thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

ironclaw wrote: »
    . Its a stupid and meaningless accomplishment but I do feel it helps.

It really does make you observe a lot more, and also controls the traffic behind you... well, that's is supposed to be the case, but in practice too many drivers can't put up with it!
    It also helps with fuel consumption, as you're not coming to stops / starting as often.

stefanovich - it was arranged through work and was a company from the UK who ran it.
    Can't remember the name now, but it seemed more focused on company training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Advance driving is a joke if it encourage you to be a rolling road block causing accidents

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

visual wrote: »
    Advance driving is a joke if it encourage you to be a rolling road block causing accidents

As opposed to being inches from the person in front and slamming on the brakes every 10 seconds as is the case on the M50 every single morning? Its not about a rolling road block, its about keeping a gap and anticipating traffic. One of the major forms of traffic stoppage is when a car enters the braking distance of another, an inexperienced driver brakes and because everyone else is so close, they start to brake, causing a ripple. Eventually, perhaps even 100 cars back, that 100th car has to stop. If you have two people in the middle with a large enough gap between them, the 'tension' of the spring effect is absorbed meaning everyone behind that 'break' doesn't have to stop and as a block they keep rolling. A lane stop / starting will have a lower average speed than a lane that is slowly moving but never stopping. Its simple.

Leaving a gap would solve a massive amount of the traffic issues we have in this country, the M11/N11 being a prime example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭creedp

As opposed to being inches from the person in front and slamming on the brakes every 10 seconds as is the case on the M50 every single morning? Its not about a rolling road block, its about keeping a gap and anticipating traffic. One of the major forms of traffic stoppage is when a car enters the braking distance of another, an inexperienced driver brakes and because everyone else is so close, they start to brake, causing a ripple. Eventually, perhaps even 100 cars back, that 100th car has to stop. If you have two people in the middle with a large enough gap between them, the 'tension' of the spring effect is absorbed meaning everyone behind that 'break' doesn't have to stop and as a block they keep rolling. A lane stop / starting will have a lower average speed than a lane that is slowly moving but never stopping. Its simple.

Leaving a gap would solve a massive amount of the traffic issues we have in this country, the M11/N11 being a prime example.

Like a lot of things in life though unless there is a critical mass of people prepared to drive in that optimum manner there's little point you an an individual practicing it. Yesterday evening on M1 I was staying back a reasonable 2 car distance from the car in front of me doing 100 kph when a passat driver swerved in from the lh lane causing me to brake sharply and almost causing a pile up behind me ... was I driving in a relatively safe/efficient manner on the M1 yesterday? You could argue that my 'safe' driving nearly caused an accident!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

2 car lengths is about 10 metres or so. 2 seconds distance @100kph is just over 50 metres. Is it 2 seconds you mean?

• Advertisement

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    2 car lengths is about 10 metres or so. 2 seconds distance @100kph is just over 50 metres. Is it 2 seconds you mean?

No I mean 2 car lengths or as you say 10m! While it may not seem a lot its more than enough space to invite lads to swerve into on the MI/M50. If you leave any more than that you will have a queue of cars undertaking you and filling that inviting gap!

I'm guessing reaction times etc here but if you had to react to something happening in front of you;
    Your brain realising there is a hazard ahead = 1/4 second
    Deciding what to do & hitting the brake pedal = 1/4 second
    1/2 second @100kph is over 12 metres travelled before you react.

You can't control what other motorists will do, take what control you can & leave a gap you can be safe in. If you leave a minimum of 2 seconds between you & the car in front and you have 60 cars cutting into that gap in a journey, all it costs you is 60 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

I'm guessing reaction times etc here but if you had to react to something happening in front of you;
    Your brain realising there is a hazard ahead = 1/4 second
    Deciding what to do & hitting the brake pedal = 1/4 second
    1/2 second @100kph is over 12 metres travelled before you react.

You can't control what other motorists will do, take what control you can & leave a gap you can be safe in. If you leave a minimum of 2 seconds between you & the car in front and you have 60 cars cutting into that gap in a journey, all it costs you is 60 seconds.

And in doing so encourage continuous undertaking into choc-a-block left lanes while continuously braking to maintin a safe distance from the car ahead .. not sure which is more dangerous

If they can undertake you are in the wrong lane.

• Advertisement

If they can undertake you are in the wrong lane.

How when I'm up the *ss of the car (paraphrasing your view of my earlier posts) in front of me on the RHL and that car is holding me up? The only way they can undertake is if I follow your strategy of maintaining a significant gap between the car in front of me.

However, I agree that a lot of these discussions end up in you're in the wrong lane if someone is able to undertake you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

If everyone drove trying to anticipate traffic lights and other cars so they don't have to brake just imagine what rush hour would be like. It will not be the ideal solution you imagine.

The reason for traffic stop starting on motorways is because of the difference in speed between vehicles. Could just as easy say if everyone drove fast it solve traffic problem and merged at correct speed used lanes correctly then leave the motorway at motorway speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

visual wrote: »
    Could just as easy say if everyone drove fast it solve traffic problem and merged at correct speed used lanes correctly then leave the motorway at motorway speed.

Most studies stay that enforcing a minimum gap between cars, not allowing lane changes near junctions and lower speed limits at rush hour improve flow. And its true if you look at it. Most people get it into their head that its a motorway, so they have to 'go fast' But end up too close, braking, ripple etc. Opposed to a road where traffic is flowing steadily at say 60km/h with large gaps for merging, the average speed is higher.

I agree with you though, its purely academic and never going to happen, but even if people starting leaving a gap and started thinking a shade, it would improve things greatly.

On thread though, anyone noticed the new thing of crossing hatches areas? In particular at junctions on the M50 either as an attempt to leave faster or cut in at the last moment? Tallaght North Bound being a prime example.

Advertisement