Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOTR "The Return of the King" RUINED!

• 26-08-2003 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Ok I misled you - but what would you do if Peter Jackson buggers up the 3rd film?

Personaly I think I'd start trashing the cinema, and then I'd go on a vendetta mission to assasinate PJ himself.

apologies all round.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Muppet. :p

Based on the pedigree of the first two, I think the third will be fantastic.

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

but what would you do if Peter Jackson buggers up the 3rd film?
    I'd probably go, 'o look he buggered it up' and go back to the pub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

try to contain my complete lack of shock after the travesty that was 'the two towers'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

but what would you do if Peter Jackson buggers up the 3rd film?

Walk out of the cinema, past the people queueing for the next screening saying, "Its cool the way he dies at the end" as loud as i can.
    Seriously, the second one is boring, the extended version better deliver the goods (i hear it will) or i'll be in the same boat as Mordeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Dakeyras

try to contain my complete lack of shock after the travesty that was 'the two towers'

eh??!! what??!!! travesty, when the hell did that happen? last time i looked it was a damn good movie, did someone switch them in my absence? :p and of the most difficult books (2nd & 3rd of series) of which to make a movie as well.

so why did you think it was a travesty?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Walk out of the cinema, past the people queueing for the next screening saying, "Its cool the way he dies at the end" as loud as i can.

anyone who doesn't know the story of the lotr by now deserves it tbh

and alright travesty may have been a tad harsh :) but tTT just bored the sod out of me, i watched fotr about 13+ times.. i think I've seen tTT twice.. and i slept for a small bit the second time if memory serves. I'm not blaming anyone for "ruining the story" or saying "the book was better" (although clearly it was ;P) i'm just saying that I really really did not enjoy that film. but alot of people did so jackson must have done something right, *shrug*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Personally I loved the film.

My favorite parts of the book were those with Gollum, and (Other than pushing some of it back to Return Of The King) they got it better than I could've expected. And lets face it, if they had messed up the chartacter in the slightest, all the battle scenes in the world wouldn't have made up for what a failure the entire trilogy would've been. But as it stands, he's as wretched and pitifull as he should have been.

"Murderer..."

course the books are better, we all know that or at least we should. i don't think i've ever seen a book better than a film, some came near but none did it. i enjoyed the movie and it was always going to be the most difficult to make in that the characters were introduced in the fellowship and return of the king is where it all goes down. In the two towers they were being prepared for what happens in return of the king (i'm being far too basic there but i'm lazy). but i can understand saying that it slowed a bit in places but i think jackson did a damn good attempt at keeping it all flowing well.

anyway, enough babble. cant wait for return of the king is the upshot of what i'm saying.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Dakeyras
    i don't think i've ever seen a book better than a film

...really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

I thought t2t was great, but not as good as fotr. I fell asleep during it aswell. But t2t was by far the best part of the original story for me.

The success of Return of the King will depend on what good Jackson can make of a bad ending. And he'll have to change the story a good bit to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    ...really?

he means film better than a book...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Lets face it guys - he aint gonna bugger up Return of the King.

1) He's a genius
    2) All the cast, and Jackson himself said "Its better than the other 2 put together"

Good enough for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

2) All the cast, and Jackson himself said "Its better than the other 2 put together"

not that I think hes gonna bugger it up but...of course they are gonna say that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Gollum with a huge happy smile nodding cheerfull " Nobody Loves you, You Have no friends " :) classy.

Originally posted by Kulgan

DOH!:eek: indeed i did, head not working there, brain not functioning at all and i said the exact opposite of what i meant to say. Hate when that happens, but i did indeed mean i don't think i've ever seen a film version better than the book. And yes i am an idiot sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

I would get on a website and give out s**tloads, like the fanboy that i am ;)

Then go back to the cinema the next day to watch it again :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I've had to listen people moan on about the last two because they were so popular, even though at the time they loved the films when they came out. LOTR3 will be legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

I saw,(on the TTT DVD..) a preview of ROTR. and it seems like its going to be pretty good..the pelennor fields battle scene is meant to be much bigger.....I'm keeping my hopes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭avatar

I saw that too... the only thing that worries me is the fact that no mention was made of the other major battle that took place in the book (the massive battle before the gates of Mordor).... that's an important plot element, they'd better not have cut it out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Why would they put that in the preview?

"Here lads, here's the end of the trilogy"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Peter Jackson won't mess up RotK, he's done a fantastic job with the first 2 movies so expect the last movie to be more of the same and then some.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'd try to act surprised. and i'd laugh at the LOTR fanboys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Kulgan
    He needs to go see the Bridges of Madison County then. Ok, its a chickflick but it's not a bad chickflick. The book is one of the worst things ever written and bought by lots of people. Movie relates the story from the woman's POV rather than the man's and it's far better as a result.

Don't be mean - I'm just offering a relatively recent example!

(the ending in the Firm movie makes more sense than the Grisham-written book ending as well)

Advertisement