Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning coding - good websites?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Java isn't javascript people mmmkay?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Under_Graduate

The main thing to remember I think is, Java is exponentially more difficult than javascript.
    So codeacademy woefully misled me in terms of me self perceived coding competency.

The other question I'd have, regarding making the comparison between these two would be, when javascript refers to things like "objects, constructers, classes" - do them things, when being referred to in java, do they refer to similar type of code?
    Or does that differ also?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

The main thing to remember is, Java has NOTHING to do with javascript
    Please stop trying to compare them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

colmulhall wrote: »
    YouTube has a ton of great tutorials (Particularly TheNewBoston). Codeacademy is also pretty good.

How far will The new boston get you ?

How far will The new boston get you ?

I would view it as a resource, if you are struggling with a concept you are learning elsewhere, the likes of new boston can give you a different perspective thus helping you to grasp said concept.

I wouldn't consider his website (or any other) to be a standalone programming course.

• Advertisement

ScottStorm wrote: »
    I would view it as a resource, if you are struggling with a concept you are learning elsewhere, the likes of new boston can give you a different perspective thus helping you to grasp said concept.

I wouldn't consider his website (or any other) to be a standalone programming course.

Alright so, what's the best way to learn code?

Do several different courses?

When you say "elsewhere" - to what are you referring?

Like I said, I've completed his beginners course.

If I was applying for a coding course and being interviewed, most likely what I would present would be along the lines of, "I've done beginners courses in html, javascript and java. The element of java that I've covered thus far that appealed to me most was Graphical User interfaces, where I compiled.... some relatively novice and non-functionally applicable GUI's - though, that's why I'm applying here - to expand my knowledge on the area".

I mean, where does that leave me?

I am learning myself and have done countless tutorials and courses, covering several languages and frameworks.
    But to be honest you have to stop doing tutorials and decide to build SOMETHING, once you know what that is you need to figure out HOW to build it, at that point you can go back to your books and tutorials find the necessary components, plan out your program and THEN put them together and unlock your achievement.

Advertisement