Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing hosting and domain provider

Options
  • 24-07-2015 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong section of the forum.

I have a question about Domain name registration. I am working for a company and it is being charged €200 euro plus VAT a year simple .ie domain name, plus another 270 plus VAT for hosting and email.

If we were to change providers are we entitled to take the .ie domain name we have been using and paying for, over the last 14 years ?

Also if we move to another hosting would we be able to keep our email addresses which are based on that domain ? for example , if my current address is daithi@wearebeingtakenforaride.ie will I still have the same address on my new hosting provider?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

daithicarr wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong section of the forum.

I have a question about Domain name registration. I am working for a company and it is being charged €200 euro plus VAT a year simple .ie domain name, plus another 270 plus VAT for hosting and email.

If we were to change providers are we entitled to take the .ie domain name we have been using and paying for, over the last 14 years ?

Also if we move to another hosting would we be able to keep our email addresses which are based on that domain ? for example , if my current address is daithi@wearebeingtakenforaride.ie will I still have the same address on my new hosting provider?

Thanks

Yes and yes.

When you move to your new provider you will have to setup new email accounts with the same addresses you currently have. Make sure you have downloaded all of your email to your local PC's before you attempt to start moving.

You should be able to move your .ie domain to a cheaper registrar without making any other changes if you wish.

Your new hosting company will usually give you a temporary subdomain so you can move transfer your website and check it is working before repointing your existing domain to your new server.

Pick a hosting company and they will usually be happy to help you move and answer any questions you have. Unfortunately we can't discuss specific hosting companies on Boards so you'll have to research that part elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭NeutralHandle

Yes you can transfer domain names. Yes you can set up the same email address after transferring to a different host.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Prices per year for .ie domain registration these days are anything from about EUR15 - EUR30 ex-VAT per year

As long as the domain is registered to your company / business then it's yours to move

You'd have to re-create them and migrate your current email (assuming you haven't downloaded it all)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭daithicarr

Thanks for the reply's.

I noticed the current prices for .ie domains vs what we are getting charged.

The email migration sounds like it could be tricky, it would be part of my job description , but to be honest ive never done it and id imagine if done wrong could end up being a nightmare for me.

The email migration sounds like it could be tricky, it would be part of my job description , but to be honest ive never done it and id imagine if done wrong could end up being a nightmare for me.
    It depends on how many users you're dealing with ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭daithicarr

sorry I missed your last response, about 6 user in total.

sorry I missed your last response, about 6 user in total.

6 isn't a very large number.
    Sure - painful if you get it wrong, but not hard to handle if you take a bit of time to plan it

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

This is long winded, bear with me and advise if in wrong place....

My company owns a website since 2011, i have had admin access to make basic changes etc but is hosted outside of company separate to our other websites and emails.

I am rebuilding the website and now ready to transfer….. website details are on whois domains tool showing the previous companies details and not ours… That company has now changed names and they don’t have log in access to account to change to our details…. the website is up for renewal in november we could loose website if we can’t sort out.

Our hosting company says they don’t have website passwords etc but i don’t believe them surely they have to have some access.

we need the EPP key to unlock domain.. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

The hosting company would not have the passwords to the website but would be able to force a change to the hosting account.
    Once you have access to the hosting account you can hack your way in to the website.
    If you are using WordPress it is fairly straight forward to gain access to the site as an administrator. Call if you need help.

To change the domain ownership can be more awkward, easiest if you have access to the email address of who ever the domain is registered to. Have you phoned the domain registrar?

These "problems" happen quite often and can usually be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Thanks, the website is really old and not accessible through wordpress.
    This thing about ownsership is the email address attached to site is no longer in existance, it is an eircom account and they are now EIR, we have tried to contact domain registrar and they need proof we own the website to give out any information.....

• Advertisement

If the domain name is registered to somebody else then it isn't yours.

Whatever / whoever is in the whois is the de facto owner of the domain name

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

I've a very similar question that doesn't warrant a new thread. I have domain and hosting of a .com with an irish company for years and after checking today see that they are the listed registrant organisation on whois, despite them being previously asked to correct this. However, I get emails (to my email address) from godaddy each year to renew the domain name that state I'm the registrant contact for the account.

If I use my email address in an attempt to get a password or new account on godaddy, I don't get anywhere. I assume my reseller can only access it through their admin account maybe?

What changes do I have to try and get them to make so that I can get access to auth codes etc. for the domain considering I'm the registrant contact on email? I've them paid up for another few months but want to avoid hassle down the line when I go to move.

Sorry I'm not yet up to speed on the lingo and workings of all this so if anyone can throw some light on this I'd really appreciate it. For the record they haven't been awkward yet, but I'd like to know where I stand and how I should go about sorting it out so that I get full control and access of both domain and website files. They were paid to build the website initially and are paid yearly since to host it but they are basically reselling as I see it.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 45 melchior1951

Just send your current provider/reseller a cancellation notice for your hosting contract with them. They have to provide you with the auth code for your domain so you can move it to any other provider of your choice.

I don't know what type of contract you have with that agency regarding your website. Normally you would get the rights on the created work so they would have to provide you with the website files and database if you ask for it. You can upload them to your new provider then.

Advertisement