Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mysterious Photo

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

this photo actually looks legit to me :( The only reflection I see is of someone in a pink t shirt that taking the photo if this picture that is in a glass frame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

The TV theory does not hold up, because up to recent years B&W TV pictures had strong horizontal lines that would be very clearly visible in a photo.
    For similar reasons it cannot be a copy of a newspaper photo, if it was, there would be a pattern of dots.
    So that leaves 4 theories for how the photo was made-
    1. accidental or deliberate double/triple exposure on one negative
    2. two or more negatives combined together with an enlarger in the darkroom
    3. first photo was mounted under glass and then a photo was taken of it, resulting in reflections on the glass.
    4. its just one photo which was taken through glass giving reflections
    Personally, I favour no.1

Hmmm, ok, I'll give you that. With my theory thrown out I will now have to go with a photo of an old photo through glass, and double exposed with something more recent reflected. Hope you get the mystery solved, I'd love to know what it really is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Hmmm, ok, I'll give you that. With my theory thrown out I will now have to go with a photo of an old photo through glass, and double exposed with something more recent reflected. Hope you get the mystery solved, I'd love to know what it really is.

I'm totally with you on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

My theory fwiw...and I do find it interesting and somewhat historically relevent. Is that it's a photo taken in a cinema - of an old film - old cinemas particularly rural ones would have doubled as stages too - hence the curtain affect. The extra people at the side and the faded head behind the guy sitting with the hat are simply reflections ... the screen would have caused glare but not the tubey effect of a tv and let's face it few had tv's in those days.

Also I get a feeling I recognise the black capped judge and mutton chops - so it might be a known movie or B movie of the day!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Perhaps it might be worth posting in the Movie forum so.
    There's a dedicated thread here.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement