Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carl Froch vs George Groves

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Your blinded lad, bute was more protected than a Muslim wife, and Kessler is a shadow of what he was, do you not remember the hammering ward gave him, froch is terribly overrated, just accept it,

Ward is a class above.

Don't see how Froch is that over-rated. He has fought & beaten all the top super-middles in the past few years (apart from Ward)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

blade1 wrote: »
    I think that's what he mean't.

dOH I'm highly strung, p***ed off big time the fight deserved a fair ending , I hope the judges scorecards are not over looked, including the knockdown they still only had 1 point in it, Hearn some connections

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Froch only beat Kessler on one of the scorecards 115-113 as a home fighter.In that fight Kessler started very slowly and he is just a shadow of himself.116-112 was probably how it was but Kessler was very poor.He is well past it! Froch has a great chin and endurance and decent power(his power is over rated because of the Bute fight) His defense is very poor.Reflexes and hand speed are a major weakness along with poor foot work. That how it is the Sky marketing hype has meant that many forget he is very limited in some aspects. Deep down Froch realizes he is not the most gifted which is why he is always looking for compliments and bigging himself up!! Hopefully there is a rematch and Groves is the first man to knock Froch out

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bobbygrant

dOH I'm highly strung, p***ed off big time the fight deserved a fair ending , I hope the judges scorecards are not over looked, including the knockdown they still only had 1 point in it, Hearn some connections

the whole thing was just farcical. Obviously fixed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭hungry hippo 4

I for one am delighted with the outcome. Groves could not finish the job and the tide was beginning to turn. Fcuk Groves, what an annoying ****ebag! The Cobra strikes again. Yeah baby :)

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Ward is a class above.

Don't see how Froch is that over-rated. He has fought & beaten all the top super-middles in the past few years (apart from Ward)

Well if you don't see how he is overrated then I could write all night and you would not care , let's just agree to disagree

Well if you don't see how he is overrated then I could write all night and you would not care , let's just agree to disagree

Yea fair enough. Bring on the rematch

I for one am delighted with the outcome. Groves could not finish the job and the tide was beginning to turn. Fcuk Groves, what an annoying ****ebag! The Cobra strikes again. Yeah baby :)

Anyone who says yeah baby deserves to be banned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭hungry hippo 4

Anyone who says yeah baby deserves to be banned

YEAH BABY :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Anyone who thinks the fight was stopped too early should watch Perez v Abdusalamov. Better to stop a fight a round too early than a minute too late....there were 3.5 rounds left and I think it was only going one way...

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Yea fair enough. Bring on the rematch

I can't see a rematch,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Groves has gained a lot of fans tonight and he will be world champion. he has all the attributes. Looking forward to it.

I can't see a rematch,

Froch is so consumed with his legacy that he won't want to bow out like that or leave it unsettled with Groves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

menoscemo wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks the fight was stopped too early should watch Perez v Abdusalamov. Better to stop a fight a round too early than a minute too late....there were 3.5 rounds left and I think it was only going one way...

Well done on being the only person in the world to think it wasn't stopped early. And your comparasion to the Perez fight is pure bollox. He took a solid beating for 10 rounds. Groves took a couple of punches. Take those Froch tinted glasses off it was a bull**** stoppage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I truly have no interest in a rematch whatsoever.

• Advertisement

There is 5 levels of beatdowns between the two fights, froch will suffer more from this fight, mentally he will be shattered, got outboxed and hurt a lot, and the crowd booing him will kill him, he got lucky against a novice who had not learned to pace a fight,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

i couldnt be arsed writing a lond winded post.

The fight was fixed. Be it the referee and the judges. Groves won every round bar the 5th, yet two judges had it only 1 round in the difference.

The ref jumped in, and held the wrong guy when doing so when George finally took a clean enough punch.

It was a fix, simple as that

i couldnt be arsed writing a lond winded post.

The fight was fixed. Be it the referee and the judges. Groves won every round bar the 5th, yet two judges had it only 1 round in the difference.

The ref jumped in, and held the wrong guy when doing so when George finally took a clean enough punch.

It was a fix, simple as that

The ref thought he had to stop it because he prob thought how is it possible for a judge to have close, froch should of been deducted 2-3 points, the whole thing stank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Huh, great bunch of lads,the Groves'.

Johner wrote: »
    Well done on being the only person in the world to think it wasn't stopped early. And your comparasion to the Perez fight is pure bollox. He took a solid beating for 10 rounds. Groves took a couple of punches. Take those Froch tinted glasses off it was a bull**** stoppage.

LOL, I am no big Froch fan but groves took 3 punches solidly on the chin in the space of 2 seconds and was all over the shop.
    Abdusalumov took a solid beating but at no point was in obvious trouble, in fact the commentators were split on the decision at the end. I am
    Just saying that the ref has a hell of a difficult job. If the ref had let that fight go on another minute and groves continued to take a beating then everyone would be saying he should have stopped it earlier. The stoppage was marginal but not scanalous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

SlickRic wrote: »
    I truly have no interest in a rematch whatsoever.
    Why not?

LOL, I am no big Froch fan but groves took 3 punches solidly on the chin in the space of 2 seconds and was all over the shop.
    Abdusalumov too a solid beating but at no point was in obvious trouble, in fact the commentators were split on the decision at the end. I am
    Just saying that the ref has a hell of a difficult job. If the ref had let that fight go on another minute and groves continued to take a beating then everyone would be saying he should have stopped it earlier. The stoppage was marginal but not scanalous.
    Groves never took a beating,

The ref thought he had to stop it because he prob thought how is it possible for a judge to have close, froch should of been deducted 2-3 points, the whole thing stank

no doubt, i think it was only the round before that he reprimanded Froch twice in the one round.

There was another instance in an earlier round when Froch elbowed Groves on the break, and the ref reprimanded Groves.

It was an absolute joke. It ****ing stinks

Pighead wrote: »
    Why not?

Because he prob feels robbed of his money

no doubt, i think it was only the round before that he reprimanded Froch twice in the one round.

There was another instance in an earlier round when Froch elbowed Groves on the break, and the ref reprimanded Groves.

It was an absolute joke. It ****ing stinks

It's not just the ending for me, all 3 things combined along with the burns joke means I won't ever pay money again to a hearn promotion, I enjoyed the fight, if froch knocked groves or had him hurt more then I'd have no problem with the finish,but the scorecards and the refs blatent favouring of froch would of been the same, which is clearly corrupt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

whatever about the referee stopping the fight the scorecards are a disgrace, what is going on with scorecards lately?one of the judges seen mayweather vs canelo as a draw if my memory serves me correctly and pacquiao was robbed by judges against bradley was it? forgive me if i have names mixed up im half asleep

Because he prob feels robbed of his money
    Seems a strange view to take. It was a cracker of a fight. We were robbed of the thrilling finale which can hopefully be rectified with a rematch.

11_medium.gif

The last left hook was a real steam rolling punch

It's not just the ending for me, all 3 things combined along with the burns joke means I won't ever pay money again to a hearn promotion, I enjoyed the fight, if froch knocked groves or had him hurt more then I'd have no problem with the finish,but the scorecards and the refs blatent favouring of froch would of been the same, which is clearly corrupt

i couldnt agree more.

there's a poll on Eastside boxing asking if the ref hadnt have stopped what would the outcome have been.

Id like to think Groves would have won on points, but going on those dodgy scorecards you'd have to say that wouldnt have happened. Its nearly like you cannot get the decision agaisnt a matchroom fighter, so you have to knock them out, or you lose. Thats it.

i couldnt agree more.

there's a poll on Eastside boxing asking if the ref hadnt have stopped what would the outcome have been.

Id like to think Groves would have won on points, but going on those dodgy scorecards you'd have to say that wouldnt have happened. Its nearly like you cannot get the decision agaisnt a matchroom fighter, so you have to knock them out, or you lose. Thats it.

It's getting to the stage that score cards in general are so unreliable of late that KO is the only way to be certain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Clearly a fix. Not only an insult to the public, but daylight robbery. Groves was cheated by the British boxing board of control. The public was robbed of their money.

Here is their email address ;

admin@bbbofc.com
    Please sent your complaints to them. Not that I think that it will do any good.

i couldnt agree more.

No way groves was getting it on points I had it 6-2 with a 10-8 obviously included, I think that's reasonable . But a point between them is a joke of the highest order, froch was seriously gassed too, lets not think he was full of beans ,

No way groves was getting it on points I had it 6-2 with a 10-8 obviously included, I think that's reasonable . But a point between them is a joke of the highest order, froch was seriously gassed too, lets not think he was full of beans ,

i had it 7-1, my father had it the same, my mate had it 6-2, and my Froch loving brother had it 7-1. All to Groves.

He was definetly tiring alright, no doubt there. But Froch was knackered as well, that barage was his last hurrah imo.

But we'll never know.

i had it 7-1, my father had it the same, my mate had it 6-2, and my Froch loving brother had it 7-1. All to Groves.

He was definetly tiring alright, no doubt there. But Froch was knackered as well, that barage was his last hurrah imo.

But we'll never know.
    Agree. And give your Froch loving brother a slap around the ears :-)

Agree. And give your Froch loving brother a slap around the ears :-)
    I gave Froch three of the eight rounds. He definitely won the 5th and 8th in my eyes. The third was pretty close and could have gone either way but I thought Froch nicked it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

The commentary on this like so many others was a joke,so one sided imo clearly groves was on top but they made out in was a landslide with him dominating every single round even heard him say ''groves is making a mug out froch'' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Boxing took a beating tonight.

i asked Eddie Hearn how he scored it.

He had Groves just 2 points up going into the 9th.

So seeing as George won round by 2 points, he gave Froch 4 of the following 8 rounds.

Its hard to explain, it really is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I'm sure Carl would have respected the refs decision if he decided Carl couldn't have continued:p

As bizarre as it may sound, i think it will be harder for Froch to come back from this fight than it will be for Groves.

• Advertisement

I'm sure Carl would have respected the refs decision if he decided Carl couldn't have continued:p

As bizarre as it may sound, i think it will be harder for Froch to come back from this fight than it will be for Groves.

look at this way. Who do you think is in hospital tonight?

Its certainly not George Groves thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

That was sickening. An awful stoppage. Groves was still landing shots on Froch and the referee dives into the exchange to pull him away. It's very easy to shout conspiracy in boxing but you can't overlook sheer incompetence either. Groves was hurt but was defending himself and throwing back. If that's the referee's criteria for stopping someone then he could have stopped Froch a couple of times.

Also, Jim Watt :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

look at this way. Who do you think is in hospital tonight?

Its certainly not George Groves thats for sure.

well it's not just about the physical beating he gave him, it's more so the psychological damage Groves has inflicted on Froch due to this fight.

I think it will hurt froch deep down that he got smashed and robbed a victory,he wont be able to get it out of his head imo hes too proud and self conscious about himself to not let it bother him I think it will eat away at him where as some fighters will be delighted to snatch a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

To things shown tonight, one that boxing is fixed and corrupt as ever, the second that Froch is way way ovverated, he can't deal with speed and movement i mean those who pose the question who wins between him and Calzaghe, come off it as if Joe would have been given such a schooling from Groves. Froch is a fine fighter but to say he is a British Legend is stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

SRFC wrote: »
    I think it will hurt froch deep down that he got smashed and robbed a victory,he wont be able to get it out of his head imo hes too proud and self conscious about himself to not let it bother him I think it will eat away at him where as some fighters will be delighted to snatch a win.

I think it will annoy him more that he was robbed of finishing Groves in a proper manner and getting a valid victory. From the point of view of Froch that is, there's no guarantee he'd of gotten rid of Groves but I feel George was starting to tire, starting to get involved too much and starting to get shook up. He faded a bit against Degale and Johnson in his only 12 round fights to date and I think we were starting to see that here too.

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote: »
    I think it will annoy him more that he was robbed of finishing Groves in a proper manner and getting a valid victory. From the point of view of Froch that is, there's no guarantee he'd of gotten rid of Groves but I feel George was starting to tire, starting to get involved too much and starting to get shook up. He faded a bit against Degale and Johnson in his only 12 round fights to date and I think we were starting to see that here too.

Yeah either way I cant see him being too happy winning this bout,anyone else id say would be delighted but I just get the feeling with him its different,with all his respect guff he was harping on about.and being sat on his arse will annoy him no end after all his mouthing,

The headlock by the ref was farcical in the end,groves was under pressure but I dont think he was about to be dropped,he would have been under serious pressure for the last few rounds but the corner would have warned him after the 9th to jab and move to safely close it out,but then again the score cards were suspect anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭fsfg

fsfg wrote: »
    It's my opinion that Groves split with Booth as he stopped listening to him. Groves has an ego (which was built by Booth) and I think he forced the fight rather than his team had any confidence in him winning.

Groves thinks he will win, I have no doubt about that and he thinks he is a master of mind games. I think it's working to a degree- Froch looks angry to me.

Froch underestimes Groves and he needs to be careful as I think Groves has the greater power. His downfall though is that Froch won't quit or lose his spirt and his chin is rock solid. Groves needs to avoid Froch for the whole fight and while I think is is very underrated by all, logic would suggest he won't keep froch off him (unless he hurts him) maybe Groves has a better chin than I gave him credit for but I doubt it.

Froch by late Ko with Groves ahead on points at the time.

While I wasnt far off I still can't believe what happened.

Groves was robbed pure and simple. The ref was awful all night- how was Froch not deducted points?

Groves looks comfortable and he looked able to take Froch's shots. The first time he was rocked (while comfortably ahead) he ref overreacts based on reputations.

I think Groves would have come back at Froch but either way he should have been given the chance. How do you show you can dig deep if the ref jumps in? He was out on his feet against Anderson- worse than last night and he came back to win.

I have lost all respect for Froch also. Froch was the disrespectful one in the buildup but I don't think you should be respectful, you shouldn't have to be anyway. But after the fight when the "warrior" got a lucky break after being outclassed, he could not hold his hands up and admit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I'm a froch fan but have to say he was all over the place last night.
    He looked genuinely worried and nervous and it showed in the opening rounds.
    Not a fan of groves at all but have to say he fought great, on the few occasions froch got him near the ropes his speed and movement to get off them was amazing.

Froch only won 2 rounds tops.
    Groves did look tired in the 9th to be fair and I think it was inevitable he was going down IMO but we will never know.

I think this might spell the end for Froch and can only get better for Groves, he's a decent boxer for sure.

As previously said, how fickle were the crowd?
    Cheering for Froch, booing groves and then the reverse at the end, quite funny but they obviously aren't stupid.

Wouldn't surprise me if Froch announces retirement after this or picks up an injury a la David Haye ;)

Iv a feeling his jaw is broke If it is there wont be a rematch because by the time he Would be Ready . I said before the fight groves Would not Win because he needs two more 12 rds to build up stamina and experience not because Froch is à better boxer he just has more experience. But after that last night i cant see how Froch can Win a rematch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement