Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kitten stabbed to death in drunken attack

• 11-09-2008 10:15pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/kitten-stabbed-to-death-in-drunken-attack-1473411.html
    A BRUTAL attack in which a kitten was stabbed and killed by a drunken man has shocked animal lovers.
    The sickening incident in Limerick city has been described by animal workers in the region as one of the worst atrocities they have every come across.
    A highly intoxicated man, aged in his 30s, is understood to be responsible for the vicious attack on the helpless young kitten named "Fifi".
    The incident happened on Hartstonge Street in the city on Sunday afternoon when a drunken man picked up the kitten near her home and without reason, brutally stabbed the small animal with a knife.
    He then flung the animal at the side wall of a house and left it bleeding profusely on the pavement before staggering off with another individual.
    Rushed
    The badly injured kitten was rushed to the Treaty Vetinary Clinic in Thomondgate but died a short time later. The owner of "Fifi" brought the stray kitten to Limerick from Sligo while on holiday last month.
    "I saw she had nobody so I brought her home with me. She was extremely loveable. You would be watching television and she would sit on your neck, purring all the time," the owner who asked not to be identified said. "I only had her for three weeks; it was a very short life. Why were these people out there with a knife? They have absolutely no regard for a defenceless little kitten.
    "Whoever did this could do this again to a little child. The worst thing was they went out drinking afterwards, joking about it." Gardai have been alerted to the incident.
    Manager of the Limerick Animal Welfare Sanctuary Jodie Hayward said the incident left her absolutely disgusted.
    "People like this have no place in society," Ms Hayward said.
    - Barry Duggan

Am I a bad man to think this is hillarious? The funniest part is that they took the standard "A man was fatally stabbed" story and replace man with kitten. So the "badly injured kitten was rushed to the Treaty Vetinary Clinic in Thomondgate but died a short time later".

I apologise in advance if the owner of the cat reads this; I'm not laughing at the death of the cat so much as the style of the article and the surreality of drunkenly attacking a cat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Am I a bad man to think this is hillarious? .

YES:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/kitten-stabbed-to-death-in-drunken-attack-1473411.html

Am I a bad man to think this is hillarious? The funniest part is that they took the standard "A man was fatally stabbed" story and replace man with kitten. So the "badly injured kitten was rushed to the Treaty Vetinary Clinic in Thomondgate but died a short time later".

I apologise in advance if the owner of the cat reads this; I'm not laughing at the death of the cat so much as the style of the article and the surreality of drunkenly attacking a cat.

I get that you're laughing at the style of the article, but no it isn't funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Jackus

"The funniest part"?
    Are U sick? How many funny parts you find in this article?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

The article writing is funny. The story is not :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Not quite the purrfect murder.

I'll get my coat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

I see the black humour in the style in which this is written, alright, but the story itself is overridingly sad..

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kwikksilva

It completely depends on how you feel about animals and cats, i personally love all kinds of animals and i have 2 cats, so i don't find it funny one bit. The kind of person who would do this is deeply disturbed, and i wouldn't like to think what else they would be capable of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭COH

I thought it was pretty funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

This is a horrible story. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Guy should get a prison sentence... i wouldn't say i'm an animal lover but to stab a completely defenceless animal to death (when it has trusted you to pick it up) is sickening.

If they know who this guys is, he should be locked up and forced to work with animals when he gets out :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Estella

Yeah, I loved the surrealitly of the pisshead who 'picked up a kitten near her home and brutally stabbed and it flung it against a wall'.

WTF

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Jackus wrote: »
    "The funniest part"?
    Are U sick? How many funny parts you find in this article?

1) The fact that the killing of a cat makes it into a national broadsheet

2) The way it's a copy and paste job of a real murder story

3) The fact that the kitten was "rushed" to hospital

4) The fact that someone stabbed a kitten

5) The juxtaposition of the words "Brutal" and "Fifi".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Animal lovers are such weirdos. Cats are not people. They do not have human emotions. Over generations, people have kept those cats who appear to have human expressions and behaviours. This artificial selection has bred cats who behave very warmly towards humans. But they are just animals. A man would be paid handsomely to stab a rat, but there is little to differentiate the two.

Also, animal lovers despise "cruelty", yet actively encourage people to mutilate their pets through "spaying" and "neutering". For what to these animals exist: as individuals in and of themselves, or to serve the needs of their masters?

As for the "worst case we've ever seen" comment; the judge who officiated at Oscar Wilde's trial said the same thing. A week earlier, he had convicted a man of murdering a child. Maybe we all need some perspective.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

smemon wrote: »
    Guy should get a prison sentence... i wouldn't say i'm an animal lover but to stab a completely defenceless animal to death (when it has trusted you to pick it up) is sickening.

Well that's how meat is made to be honest. I think the moral turpitude in this is that it was a completely senseless act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I remember recently I was walking along bray "beach" when me and my mate saw a schoolbag washed up on the shore. The zip was partially open so I looked in to see what was inside. I shouldn't have looked - someone had put a kitten in the bag, filled the bag with rocks and ****ed it out into the sea. What the hell is wrong with the minds of these people? My cousins kitten was killed when it got out one night and it was found the following day dead after someone dropped a brick on its head.

Re the article, don't buy the indo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Cats are not people. They do not have human emotions.

Who said they were or did?

Even it is just an animal, the guy should be locked up. The sick fcuk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Anyone else think that it is INCREDIBLY distasteful to describe the killing of a cat as an atrocity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

RIP kitty :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I wouldn't say distastful, but a bit over dramatic. Still though, it is a pretty sad story and one that you wouldn't hear everyday.

Poor kitten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Anyone else think that it is INCREDIBLY distasteful to describe the killing of a cat as an atrocity?

It's the Indo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Difference between a kitten and a rat?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That's an awful story, poor kitten :(

Mairt wrote: »

If I was making an unsustainable argument then I'd take your point but I'm not so I wont. Whether it's wrong to think this is funny or not is a matter of taste, but I fail to see how I have dug a hold for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Takes a certain kind of mind to do that really, not exactly the kind of mind that deserves any respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fredzer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

OP, I know exactly what you're saying. I love animals and that is a horrible case (just one of many, sadly) but writing it in such a style is ludicrous, and yes, funny. Such a story, if worthy of press coverage at all, deserves a spot in the NIB (news in brief) bar down the side of the page.
    The perpetrator of this crime was obviously not feline well.
    Not quite the purrfect murder.
    Lol
    Maybe not incredibly distasteful, but inappropriate, yes.
    Animal lovers are such weirdos. Cats are not people. They do not have human emotions.
    A lot of weirdos out there so :). Animals still feel pain and distress. I'd beg to differ on the emotion thing - my brother's rescue dog seemed like a very, very sad animal when he got her first...
    Just noticed: ironic the way your post was thanked by Lil Kitten :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 keepherlit

Terrible act? YES
    Is it really front page material? NO
    I think there are more pressing issues in the town itself never mind across the rest of the world.
    lock him up though and name and shame him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Mairt wrote: »

Eh, how the f*ck has he dug himself a hole????:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Find it sickening what he did, I hate cats but I would never do anything like this. Story doesn't particularly upset me, it would if it was a dog however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Wish I hadn't read this :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The article is full of black humor and anthropomorphic phrases, i still don't find it funny though. I fail to see the humour in someone displaying psychopathic behaviour. Anyone who can take an iron bar to a donkey and beat it to death or do what this man did to the kitten is obviously a loathsome and disturbed individual. Perphaps the scribe is actuely aware of this hence the dramatic tone.

Reminds me of one of the many page 1 leads in The Simpsons: "Dog kills cat, self" :D

I wouldn't be so sure it was psychopathic behaviour though, just drunken aggression. It's unbelievable how even perfectly reasonable individuals turn into complete headcases when drunk.

There is nothing funny about the behaviour whatsoever, the OP is focusing purely on the way the report is written.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭barnacle

That story was grrrrrrrrr-eat!

Puts the ow in miaow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

1. Not funny considering there's a direct correlation between animal abuse and violence against humans.

2. Prove it.

3. They were hardly going to take their time now, were they?

4. What's funny about that you juvenile twat.

5. How about "Maddie" and "Missing" or "Scared"? That suit you better?

Imbicile.

But it reads like it's about a human... thus making it very surreal - that's all the OP's saying. He doesn't mean it's literally a copy and paste job of a real murder story, but it reads word for word like one.

It's as if the OP is saying cruelty to animals is funny when that's not what he's saying at all... surely it's not that difficult to grasp?

keepherlit wrote: »
    Terrible act? YES
    Is it really front page material? NO
    I think there are more pressing issues in the town itself never mind across the rest of the world.
    lock him up though and name and shame him.

Which is why animal abuse is so prevalent in society.

They're not deemed as important as human animals. Why, I don't know. Some are more intelligent than others, but intelligence should not be the datum against which we judge whether or not a being deserves respect. They feel pain like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kwikksilva

All these people who think that cat/animal lovers are sad, let me say this, it is you who shows yourself up as being insensitive, and not us for think ing its terrible.

Its the same guys who say "oh domestic pets have no emotions and we shouldn't care about them", that when they get to look after their friends dog for a week, they don't want to give it back.

If you consider domestic pets to be in the same basket as pigs,rats and cattle, then you are a clown.

Its different, and they don't deserve to be knifed for no reason.

Its the likes of you and me that domesticised them in the first place for mankinds enjoyment so that it probably didn't even run away from the prick.

As for the OP, i can see the point, i would not expect this in a broadsheet.

But as for some of the followups from others...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

kraggy wrote: »
    4. What's funny about that you juvenile twat.

Imbicile.
    Infracted. Do it again and you're banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Which is why animal abuse is so prevalent in society.

They're not deemed as important as human animals. Why, I don't know. Some are more intelligent than others, but intelligence should not be the datum against which we judge whether or not a being deserves respect. They feel pain like the rest of us.

You've never killed a poor innocent rat then no? Fair play if you havn't. One of the few.

Well yeah, that's more of a big deal.

Dudess wrote: »
    Well yeah, that's more of a big deal.

My point is that what's so ridiculous about having the kitten's name and the word brutal in the same passage?

Why is it so hilarious when a horrendous act has been carried out against an innocent creature.

It's not - not even remotely.

It's the style of how the article was written though - it seems so serious that it reads like a case involving a person... yet it's a kitten.

Point one, the news is whatever people are interested in. People like their pets and this is a fairly outstanding story of a very unpleasant event.

Point two, it read to me like standard broadsheet journalistic style. All of the articles read similarly, regardless of subject matter. The same turns of phrase tend to get recycled a lot. Maybe it's a house style. Maybe it's the editor. I don't care. That's "funny", if you're into really boring facts.

For point three, pretty much anyone would rush a beloved pet to a veterinary clinic if it were injured. So, not funny.

If you really do find point 4 funny you are displaying a pretty disturbing lack of empathy.

I'll give you point 5 as being vaguely funny.

Point one, the news is whatever people are interested in. People like their pets and this is a fairly outstanding story of a very unpleasant event.
    I'd say it's more a case of it being a slow news day.
    Point two, it read to me like standard broadsheet journalistic style. All of the articles read similarly, regardless of subject matter. The same turns of phrase tend to get recycled a lot.
    ... in reference to people, using such language in reference to a small animal is borderline hysterical. Actually I'm amazed it's in the Indo (rag that it is) and not the Star or Sun or Herald.
    For point three, pretty much anyone would rush a beloved pet to a veterinary clinic if it were injured. So, not funny.
    I think it's the language that's being referred to again though.

I can't even watch RSPCA ads yet I understand what the OP is saying. Although it didn't make me laugh or anything, his point that the language is ridiculous and inappropriate is absolutely correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

i read about this alright its absolutely disgusting.. aw the poor little kitten.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Difference between a kitten and a rat?

Oh, did you miss that day in school? Let me help. Rats are rodents, kittens are felines. A rat observed out in the open is probably wild, untrusting of humans and perhaps aggressive towards humans if cornered. Most kittens are tame and entirely non-threatening to anything larger than a butterfly, and often not even to them. You can typically assume that a rat is unlikely to be owned and loved by somebody, at least not if you see one in the street. Rats in the wild and particularly in urban settings are associated with disease, and not unjustifiably. Kittens don't usually carry Weil's disease and are rarely a source of contamination resulting in disease or death in humans.

But there is a point in which they are not that different. If you would pick up a rat, stab it repeatedly and throw it against a wall to die, you're still a total psycho and it's still not funny. The only difference here being that you actually have to have some stones to try and pick up a wild rat, and none at all to do so with a kitten.

Dudess wrote: »
    Although it didn't make me laugh or anything, his point that the language is ridiculous and inappropriate is absolutely correct.

I do get the point, but if it didn't make you laugh and it didn't make most of the people on the thread laugh, then I guess we can call it ridiculous and inappropriate but not really funny.

• Advertisement
Advertisement