Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodbrook dublin 15

Options
  • 06-08-2013 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Can anybody confirm if you can get sky tv installed in Wood brook in Carpenterstown,is there a communal dish or will i have to get upc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Are you a tenant or an owner? If an owner, rules on satellite dishes etc should have been provided at purchase. If a tenant, you have no rights to erect a satellite dish even if it was permitted.

Properties for rent/sale in Woodbrook at the moment all advertised with UPC so odds are there are no communal dishes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Use to live there, they got communal dishes set up, but not too sure about which broadcast services they are avail for. You'll need to check with the management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

athtrasna wrote: »
    If a tenant, you have no rights to erect a satellite dish even if it was permitted.

Could you explain why ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Could you explain why ?

Because you can't interfere with a landlord's property. Dishes routinely need holes drilled into walls for mounting or feeding cables through. Even on a balcony the cable has to go somewhere and potentially leads to damp ingress.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

athtrasna wrote: »
    Because you can't interfere with a landlord's property. Dishes routinely need holes drilled into walls for mounting or feeding cables through. Even on a balcony the cable has to go somewhere and potentially leads to damp ingress.

well... also, properties such as Apartment complexes, maintained by management companies don't let anything external be installed. In Woodbrook as an example, they don't even let you leave clothes out to dry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 lmf

I Live in Woodbrook hall & i am being driven absolutely insane with a particular dog barking at night time. I believe it could be coming from across the road in river wood but not sure. Anyone else hear this dog? It has quite a deep bark so guessing it's a larger dog.
    How it doesn't drive the owners crazy is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

lmf wrote: »
    I Live in Woodbrook hall & i am being driven absolutely insane with a particular dog barking at night time. I believe it could be coming from across the road in river wood but not sure. Anyone else hear this dog? It has quite a deep bark so guessing it's a larger dog.
    How it doesn't drive the owners crazy is beyond me.
    I am on the committee of Riverwood Residents Association
    Here in Riverwood we are often tormented by Woodbrook alarms :-)

How late is the barking? Can you have a walk around to establish whether it is Woodbrook or Riverwood? If Riverwood I can try to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 riverwoodalex8

Did anyone figure out where the dog barking noise is coming from <snip>? I spoke to an owner there and he claims that it is legal for his dog to park all day but not during sleeping hours. Is this true? I do shift work as a paramedic and I need to sleep during the day when I'm on night shifts. Please help! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Legal!

That's a abysmal attitude towards your neighbours. There's no reason a dog should be barking all day or night. That's just a bad owner. Can you record it and speak to the council about noise. Check what the legal obligations are yourself.

According to the Barking Dogs page on Fingal's web site:
    Excessive dog barking which causes a nuisance to any person is an offence.
    There is a form on the Noise Pollution page.

I work from home and alarms and barking dogs are a significant disturbance. For a dog only a few houses away listening to music on headphones did not drown it out. I didn't do anything as it stopped after a month or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 riverwoodalex8

Thanks for all of your help - I'm on the night shift again tonight and will need lots of coffee to stay awake over this guy and his dog! This is the loudest dog you've ever heard and it's locked up all day in a little back garden of a house on <snip>. I'm not surprised that people over in Woodbrook can hear it and are complaining about it. I spoke to one of the neighbours and they said that this guy is adamant that it is 'legal' for him to leave his dog our barking in the back garden all day so long as he takes it in after 10pm. The neighbour said that this guy is renting and <snip>. Can the residents association do anything? At least if people know it's against the law we might get a few people together to make a complaint to the landlord if we can trace the landlord. Thanks again from a sleepless paramedic :(

Contact the Dog Warden at Fingal County Council for advice. They could call around to chat with the owner and educate him.

The residents association avoid taking the lead in such disputes - they generally give the reporter information about the appropriate bodies to involve.

Getting the landlord name is often difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

The same dog is still barking 3 years later?

To my mind this actually a genuine animal welfare issue and should be brought to the attention of FCC and DSPCA

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    The same dog is still barking 3 years later?
    No, different posters.
    The thread started off asking about satellite dishes then moved to barking and then barking again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sashaw

I have some good news for the paramedic above in Riverwood and the members from Woodbrook and the person who works from home about the loud dog barking on <snip>.

I spoke to some people and apparently this poor dog is locked up in a 15ft pen all day and is never taken out for a walk which is cruelty to animals. As the guys said above, the tenant wrongly thinks that it's 'legal' to leave his dog out barking all day so long as he 'takes it in at night time'!

This dog is extremely loud and I'm not surprised that lots of people over here in Woodbrook are complaining as well as people in Riverwood. It's the landlord's legal responsibility to ensure that their tenant is not creating any disturbance or annoyance to any other residents living in the area. As other members above have said, we can make a complaint to the landlord and if they don't fix the problem we can then take a case against the landlord through the District Court (the forms are available from Fingal Co. Council). District Court cases are held in public and are reported in the press and this should give the landlord a good incentive to sort out the nuisance barking by their tenant's dog!

<snip>

Hope this helps our night shift paramedic friend in Riverwood to get some sleep during the day!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

sashaw, please don't post names and addresses of third parties on this site. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nbciti

Thanks for the info guys - that loud dog barking on <snip> is a nightmare. The neighbours said that the tenant goes away on holidays and leaves their dog out the back while they are away and their brother comes over to feed the dog once a day. We put our dog in kennels or leave it with a relative whenever we go away. Most dog owners in Riverwood are grand but there's always one!

Have you contacted the Fingal Country Council Dog Warden?
    You should and also ask other affected neighbours to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭dSleeper

If you buy an apartment are cats/dogs allowed in Woodbrook?

Advertisement