Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Gatso's are these for our safety or are they just another tool for "Big Brother"?

Options
  • 22-09-2008 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

The authorities are boasting of these new mobile Gatsos fitted with "high tech" equipment" being deployed across the nation. Can someone explain to me the difference between a "standard gatso" and these new "High tech Gatso"?

The standard gatso they have been using in the past has been very successful and fit for the purpose. They are fitted with cameras and take still photographs of speeding vehicles by radar that are subsequently sent out to the offending motorists. What more do they want.

Apparently there is a Gatso developed in the Netherlands that has an ANPR video capture system, and can also take close-ups of drivers' faces with infrared. It can hold up to 60,000 images on a hard drive which can be instantly downloaded on to a database.

Such a system would be also very useful for the authorities to detect and record dangerous drivers and those holding mobile phones on video but at the expense that every car passing the point where these vehicles are stationed would be recorded on a database just like the M50 Westlink toll plasa.

Are they High Tech enough to have Active RFID recognition? I.e. Receivers to pick up on your Etag if your registration plate is obscured? This would certainly help catch those sneaky drivers that tend to try to avoid being detected by a visual.

Just to give you an idea of what technology is availible for these things from Gatsometer.
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/tm_objectid=17187937&method=full&siteid=50082&headline=-if-you-think-i-m-powerful--you-should-meet-my-daddy----name_page.html
    http://www.clearlicence.co.uk/speed_traps/supergatso.html

Perhaps someone can fill us in on a detailed specifications of these new "high tech" machines.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/new-speed-detector-vans-to-be-deployed-from-today-1479789.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

gatso.cx?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i dont think it has anything to do with rfid. they are just a few vans.

i seen these fckers in holland - they park their ugly little Nissan Primastar van on some little backroad and run a cable to their camera on a motorway and sit there the whole day listening to the radio and playing with their laptops. the people they catch probably have the fines automatically removed from their account. this is progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

lol @ the OP and his weekly "big brother" threads. AH loves u :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

You're not a rural American militiaman are you OP? Damn government spying on us.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

RFID? Linking in with the etag system? I really think you over estimate the competency and intelligence of the people who implement these things. The HSE can't even get a payroll system set up, what on earth makes you think they could link the etag system in with this new one with our spending a few billion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

RFID? Linking in with the etag system? I really think you over estimate the competency and intelligence of the people who implement these things. The HSE can't even get a payroll system set up, what on earth makes you think they could link the etag system in with this new one with our spending a few billion.

Well you have to consider that in this instance it would be a means of fleecing collecting money, rather than giving it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

RFID? Linking in with the etag system? I really think you over estimate the competency and intelligence of the people who implement these things.
    E_tagging vehicles s only in its infancy in Ireland and more than likely will eventually become manditory. Other countries are away ahead of us such as France and the Netherlands. They are far more accurate for point to point speed detection than ANPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Why have the authorities not 'taken care of' the op yet? I mean with all the constant surveillance etc. they must know he is persistently undermining their attempts to control the populace and eventually create an Orwellian state. Mark my words, one day soon Run_to_da_hills will just disappear from our lives altogether.

My only hope is that, given his almost supernatural ability to see through to the truth of these deceptive plots, Run_to_da_hills is fully aware of the dangers of keeping us poor plebs informed and has taken the precaution of recruiting a young fanatic apprentice to carry on his good work should he eventually fall foul of the authorities evil machinations. Pray that this is the case, or we may be already doomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Wreck wrote: »
    Why have the authorities not 'taken care of' the op yet? I mean with all the constant surveillance etc. they must know he is persistently undermining their attempts to control the populace and eventually create an Orwellian state. Mark my words, one day soon Run_to_da_hills will just disappear from our lives altogether.

My only hope is that, given his almost supernatural ability to see through to the truth of these deceptive plots, Run_to_da_hills is fully aware of the dangers of keeping us poor plebs informed and has taken the precaution of recruiting a young fanatic apprentice to carry on his good work should he eventually fall foul of the authorities evil machinations. Pray that this is the case, or we may be already doomed.
    Naw, this is not old communist Russia ......Yet. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Naw, this is not old communist Russia ......Yet. :eek:

When it is we shall drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Seriously get back to Conspiracy Theories with this crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

...but at the expense that every car passing the point where these vehicles are stationed would be recorded on a database just like the M50 Westlink toll plasa.

so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Gordon wrote: »
    gatso.cx?

I lolled :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

throw eggs at them?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

When are they gonna release the goatsee gatso, it's just a big cardboard cut out of goatsee with a gatso camera sticking through the hole.

Advertisement