Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vuelta a España Stage 9 – Aug 31st, Carboneras - Aramón**Unmasked Spoilers**

• 31-08-2014 9:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭

stage9_profile.png

etp9.png

We're back to the GC fight, and the weather is going to be a factor today. The first 100km is easy, in the sunshine with a healthy tailwind. After this point, the temperature will drop and the road will start to go upwards. The peloton will meet the first categorized climb, the cat 3 Puerto de Cabigordo. Due to several descents before the top, the 18 km are set to have an average gradient of just 3.8 %. In reality, the uphill sections are much steeper.

Upon completing this climb, the riders will then be faced with rain and a headwind to add to their woes. With 25km to go, they will meet the Cat 2 Alto de San Rafael, 11.5km at 4.2%. After a very short descent, they will meet the final climb of the day

9_puerto.png

As with the last high mountain stage, there are a very large number of favourites to choose from. However, we do have a better idea of where some riders stand. Chris Froome and Alejandro Valverde looked the two strongest climbers last time round, and this stage may suit Froome better with the longer climb provided he can survive the wet roads. The longer climb will also suit Contador and Quintana, which I feel will give them the edge over the punchier climbers like Rodriguez and Dan Martin.

Oddschecker: Valverde 7/2, Froome 7/2, Rodriguez 7/1, Contador 15/2, Quintana 10/1

Stage winner 12 votes

Valverde
    0%
    Froome
    0%
    Contador
    33%
    InquitusDarkglassesMPFGGlass Prison 1214 4 votes
    Quintana
    8%
    Iranoutofideas 1 vote
    Rodriguez
    8%
    pajor 1 vote
    Dan Martin
    8%
    Redmond101 1 vote
    Aru
    0%
    Yates
    0%
    Chaves
    0%
    Arredondo
    0%
    Pinot
    8%
    xbox gamer 1 vote
    Hesjedal
    0%
    Kelderman
    8%
    daludo 1 vote
    Moreno
    0%
    Nieve
    0%
    Van den Broeck
    0%
    Talansky
    0%
    Uran
    8%
    daramike 1 vote
    Sanchez
    8%
    retalivity 1 vote
    Anacona
    0%
    Niemec
    0%
    Txurruka
    0%
    Navarro
    0%
    Barguil
    0%
    Serpa
    8%
    pelevin 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Contador
    None of the stages this year look half as hard as last year...

Anyway think this is Froome or Condator

Its raining and the temp at finish is 15 C.......
    Very big drop from 40 C

Could cause some chills in the peloton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Contador
    MPFG wrote: »
    None of the stages this year look half as hrad as last year...

Ist raining and the temp at finish is 15 C.......
    Very big drop from 40 C

Could casue some chills in the peloton

Next weekend will probably be the hardest, there's 2 Cat 1s on Saturday, a HC climb on Sunday and then 4 Cat 1s on Monday. I don't really know my Spanish geography too well but I think this year they've tried to stay well off the beaten track, so there's less familiar well-known climbs.

Contador
    Next weekend will probably be the hardest, there's 2 Cat 1s on Saturday, a HC climb on Sunday and then 4 Cat 1s on Monday. I don't really know my Spanish geography too well but I think this year they've tried to stay well off the beaten track, so there's less familiar well-known climbs.

Its seesm to me that this year they wanted more sprints....

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭daramike

Uran
    Stage 9 today DG. I think the GC teams will let a break go today, so hopefully we get decent climbers in it. The bookies think the GC guys will fight it out thus you can get some pretty useful riders at huge prices. I have taken a few, Coppel 250/1, Trofimov 200/1, Sicard 200/1 and Talansky 100/1.

Uran

They avioded the Pyrennes completly and Sierra Nevada mad stuff.

• Advertisement

Contador
    Eurosport are live from 3 pm, but Team Belkin say on twitter that they'll be live from 1 pm (although it says on their website 2 pm). Not sure if there'll be commentary or if it's geolocked

http://www.teambelkin.com/live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Rodriguez
    None of the stages this year look half as hard as last year...

Its raining and the temp at finish is 15 C.......
    Very big drop from 40 C

Could cause some chills in the peloton

Kirby did say something about the organisers possibly tuning it down this year to take into account the punishing weather.

But that was Kirby. :pac:

Contador
    daramike wrote: »
    Stage 9 today DG. I think the GC teams will let a break go today, so hopefully we get decent climbers in it. The bookies think the GC guys will fight it out thus you can get some pretty useful riders at huge prices. I have taken a few, Coppel 250/1, Trofimov 200/1, Sicard 200/1 and Talansky 100/1.

talansky would eb a great bet if he can get in the break

Uran
    Over 40 guys in the break,this should be fun

Uran
    27 is reported now 19 names and none of my 4 picks ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

daramike wrote: »
    27 is reported now 19 names and none of my 4 picks ****.

Nearly 4 and half minutes on the peleton so should be a good day, some strong names in there looking for a stage win today:
    Dario CATALDO
    Winner ANACONA
    Julian David ARREDONDO MORENO
    Fabio FELLINE
    Bob JUNGELS
    Alexey LUTSENKO
    Damiano CUNEGO
    Paul MARTENS
    Ryder HESJEDAL
    Johan VAN SUMMEREN
    Pirmin LANG
    Eduard VORGANOV
    Adam HANSEN
    Javier MORENO
    Daniel TEKLEHAIMANOT
    Jay Robert THOMSON
    Tom BOONEN
    Carlos VERONA
    Rinaldo NOCENTINI
    Sam BEWLEY

Contador
    Moreno Hofland has abandoned, don't know why.

Edit: Respiratory infection

Contador
    The peloton are just going over the 70km mark, and the pace has been high as expected. The gap to the breakaway has grown to 6'30, meaning Winner Anacona is now the virtual GC leader.

Contador
    Gap is up to 7'30 and 93km to go

Contador
    Well i have Winner Anacona & Hofland in my fanstasy team...sopluses and minues abound

Contador
    Rotten conditions at the finish

BwXusn-CUAAwjJL.jpg

Contador
    Live coverage has started, the gap went as far out as 8'30 but has now dropped to under 7, so the peloton are working on it. 40km to go

Contador
    Aru's dropped and shipping a lot of time. The weather is turning quite nasty

Rodriguez
    Tony Martin making an effort to bridge across to the front 3, who are now on the final climb. Really foul weather alright.

Contador
    Sky are starting to do some damage on the peloton as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Martin trying to break off from the peloton now.

Edit: got caught, contador has broke well from it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Froome is cooked!

Rodriguez
    E2SuWpA.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Quintana
    Good man Bertie :lol:

Quintana
    Good man Bertie :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

pajor wrote: »
    E2SuWpA.jpg

Anyone got the stage result?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

froome was disappointing. great end though

Contador
    letape wrote: »
    Anyone got the stage result?

BwYJG4tIAAIIuFw.png

Quintana
    Roquentin wrote: »
    froome was disappointing. It was great :D

FYP ;)

• Advertisement

Rodriguez
    Anacona is some Winner alright. :pac:

Sorry, had to be done.

Contador
    Froome told the truth when he said is from wasn't top...Unlike Bertie & Tinkoff who may have been down playing their chances to put it mildly

Dan Martin did a good ride...continue like that and he could move in to top 10 by end of next week

Quintana
    Froome told the truth when he said is from wasn't top...Unlike Bertie & Tinkoff who may have been down playing their chances to put it mildly

Dan Martin did a good ride...continue like that and he could move in to top 10 by end of next week

Has Bertie being pulling everyone else's leg concerning the state of his own? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Contador
    Has Bertie being pulling everyone else's leg concerning the state of his own? :D

Who knows, allegedly he had a broken femur and spent 6 weeks off the bike. Hard to believe his performances if that is true.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Lot of sandbagging going on. He was seen out training when he claimed he hadn't even climbed back on a bike yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Have to disagree. Headless. He attacked too early and made no real inroads. The Contador attack leveraged Dans move and showed how it should be done.

In the days since his second place I feel he is riding like a desperate man - attacking for placings and getting reeled in. He is better than that and needs to be a bit more selective about when it is on. If one didn't know better one would think that he was out of contract and needs placings to get a ride for next year.

• Advertisement

Contador
    ROK ON wrote: »
    Have to disagree. Headless. He attacked too early and made no real inroads. The Contador attack leveraged Dans move and showed how it should be done.

In the days since his second place I feel he is riding like a desperate man - attacking for placings and getting reeled in. He is better than that and needs to be a bit more selective about when it is on. If one didn't know better one would think that he was out of contract and needs placings to get a ride for next year.

Emmmm...A bit harsh.....I meant on the whole he rode well...He came home with Foorme, Uran & Valverde...pretty good imo
    Maybe the attack was at the wrong moment but he still came home well
    And not every attack can be timed perfectly...He wanted to get sometime back and tried what he could ...If you look who he was with and who was ahead of him ....I think he did very well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

ROK ON wrote: »

Hindsight is 20/20.

Another day with an attack 3k out the big favourites let him go as they mark each other and he gets home and gains some valuable time. Not every attack will work out and at least he had the balls to go for it.

Finishing in a group on a summit finish with Uran, Valverde & Froome aint half bad whatever way you cut it.

Ultimately his attack and the subsequent response from Moreno cut loose Aru, Barguil and some of the other GC contenders on whom he gained time on so it was a successful attack in some way.

Emmmm...A bit harsh.....I meant on the whole he rode well...He came home with Foorme, Uran & Valverde...pretty good imo
    Maybe the attack was at the wrong moment but he still came home well
    And not every attack can be timed perfectly...He wanted to get sometime back and tried what he could ...If you look who he was with and who was ahead of him ....I think he did very well

he should have held off until later though

he should have held off until later though

outside of the end result what do you base that on ?

thats like me saying well that sprinter should have followed that wheel rather than that wheel and hed have done better.

Easy to critique after the fact but outside of the end result what tactical flaw was there in his attack ?

I can point out almost as many sucessful attacks where a group of favourites let a lesser threat clip off the front with a few KM to go on a summmit finish whilst they marked each other as I can ones that failed like Martins.

D3PO wrote: »

thats like me saying well that sprinter should have followed that wheel rather than that wheel and hed have done better.

Easy to critique after the fact but outside of the end result what tactical flaw was there in his attack ?

I can point out almost as many sucessful attacks where a group of favourites let a lesser threat clip off the front with a few KM to go on a summmit finish whilst they marked each other as I can ones that failed like Martins.

the minute i saw him i go i said it was too early. Knowing when to strike is vital. Contador nailed it. perfect timing.

You sound like dan martins mother or something

• Advertisement

Contador

Like when Dan himself won stage 9 of last year's TdF, alright it wasn't a summit finish but it was an early attack on the last climb of the day.

Contador
    the minute i saw him i go i said it was too early. Knowing when to strike is vital. Contador nailed it. perfect timing.

maybe he is his father Neil :D
    Neil is very protective of Dan ...

Anyways I hope Dan can keep up this form and he may get a chance for a stage win and top 10

Uran
    Dan's 2 best chances are stage 13 and 18, he should wait for these stages to try anything.

maybe he is his father Neil :D
    Neil is very protective of Dan ...

Anyways I hope Dan can keep up this form and he may get a chance for a stage win and top 10

a bit of a drama queen if it is neil

No I just find some of the keyboard pundits laughable. Plenty of criticism but no actual substance behind it.

As for Contador.

1) Perfect timing ? Evidnently not as he was caught on the line by arguably his main GC threats.

2) Contador has more explosion than Martin on that type of finish its very likey if Contador when first instead of Dan the result would have been very similar anyway.

Too many sky fanboys to actually apprecaite agression in stage racing it seems. You must be gutted you wont see any wheelsucking in todays ITT. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Serpa
    Whatever about Dan's attack , Contador said his attack was based on seeing Froome looking a bit suspect & so it was specifically an attack on Froome to test him out. Getting caught on the line by Purito was an irrelevance in terms of the point of the move.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Cut out the petty bickering please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I'd much rather see a rider attack and fail than just sitting on a wheel all the time. I'm even liking Valverde in this race he's far more aggressive than normal.

No I just find some of the keyboard pundits laughable. Plenty of criticism but no actual substance behind it.

As for Contador.

1) Perfect timing ? Evidnently not as he was caught on the line by arguably his main GC threats.

2) Contador has more explosion than Martin on that type of finish its very likey if Contador when first instead of Dan the result would have been very similar anyway.

Too many sky fanboys to actually apprecaite agression in stage racing it seems. You must be gutted you wont see any wheelsucking in todays ITT. :rolleyes:

hes-not-the-messiah-demotivational-poster-1224779273.jpg

i bet you are dans mother, peggy martin, i bet

I'd much rather see a rider attack and fail than just sitting on a wheel all the time. I'm even liking Valverde in this race he's far more aggressive than normal.

yes i understand, but these guys are athletes and you only have so much in the tank. You have to plan tactically and execute your strikes perfectly, because you can run out of steam......

had it been contador or froome who went when dan martin went, i would have said it was the wrong time to attack regardless. 3km out in an 8% gradient with the best riders in the world, is too early IMO

• Advertisement
Advertisement