Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mondello Race series 2014

Options
  • 03-06-2014 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

Just in case anyone wasn't aware, I saw on facebook last night that there is a round of the Mondello race series on this evening. I think it is a round to replace the round that was cancelled a couple of weeks ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

Ah s*** could have gone it if I know earlier. Is there an updated calender? There's still a race next Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Ryath wrote: »
    Ah s*** could have gone it if I know earlier. Is there an updated calender? There's still a race next Tuesday?

Next Tuesday is still on afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

Ok might try and get out of work early and head up if anyone else from club will go. Do you have a link to Facebook post? It really shouldn't be so hard to find info on races. The Mondello series aren't on Cycling Ireland site and stickybottle calender is not working either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

Usual times?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭scott1974

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

How much is Mondello? €15?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭slfcarro5

How much is Mondello? €15?

Its either €12 or €15. I paid €15 the first time and €12 the second time I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Might venture over for a look tonight with the camera and take a few pictures. Is it free in for spectators does anyone know?

Yes, just tell anyone who asks you're there for the bike race and you will be fine. The only place the cyclists pay is at sign on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    Might venture over for a look tonight with the camera and take a few pictures. Is it free in for spectators does anyone know?

Yes free unless you ride the race and €12 if enter,won't make it tonight have fun its even more fun in the wet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭GMCI

Bikeworx series round back as per the published poster tomorrow night at Mondello.
    Sign on from 7pm. Race start 7:30pm.

AFAIK the sign on has jumped oh so slightly to €13.
    While the usual costs are covered including paying mondello for the facility, any money made from the series of events is going straight into the Junior Tour which is once again without a title sponsor in 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Still dodgy on travel times for this... Coming from Ballymun.. allow an hour for travel?

you should be ok. i've done it from artane in about an hour. if your late it's not my fault though. capital letters are overrated.

lennymc wrote: »
    you should be ok. i've done it from artane in about an hour. if your late it's not my fault though. capital letters are overrated.

Forecast and that crack of thunder has me reconsidering the whole thing.

Enjoyed tonights race although it got a bit 'exciting' in the corners as we were coming into them 5-6 abreast - A4 didn't want to work so were caught quick enough and it wasn't long before all the groups were together.

Sometimes I don't understand why people go to Mondello and sit in - especially in the A4 - surely it would be better to use it as training for the proper races and to get used to doing up and overs to hold off the chasing bunch for as long as possible. Even when the A4's are working well together it's still a slightly slower pace than when the A3's catch up so making it easier for them to catch us means its even harder work for the rest of the night.

Enjoyed tonights race although it got a bit 'exciting' in the corners as we were coming into them 5-6 abreast - A4 didn't want to work so were caught quick enough and it wasn't long before all the groups were together.

Sometimes I don't understand why people go to Mondello and sit in - especially in the A4 - surely it would be better to use it as training for the proper races and to get used to doing up and overs to hold off the chasing bunch for as long as possible. Even when the A4's are working well together it's still a slightly slower pace than when the A3's catch up so making it easier for them to catch us means its even harder work for the rest of the night.

You were in A4 right? I could hear lads screaming something at one point then a Lucan rider responding with "****in work then" or similar. What the hell was going on? We were so slow tonight in A4. Only a few guys were working, like the rest wanted to be caught?

You were in A4 right? I could hear lads screaming something at one point then a Lucan rider responding with "****in work then" or similar. What the hell was going on? We were so slow tonight in A4. Only a few guys were working, like the rest wanted to be caught?

Yeah, one of our lads is a bit more vocal than some of the rest of us and was trying to get the group working - someone told him it was waste of time because we were going to get caught anyway and he should do some work - he'd been up the front most of the time at that point and he replied something along the lines "what the f*ck do you want to do then just sit up and wait?"

By all means decide to sit in and do nothing but keep out of the line rather than slowing things up. Not directed at you - Were you the lad in the sundrive kit?

Yeah, I heard a angry roar at one point when I went to the front which I thought was directed at me, then heard your compatriot's retort. I wasn't sure if I'd done something wrong tbh, I tried not to go too hard off the front and work with everyone but also wanted to stay away from A3s for as long as possible so didn't want to rein it in too much.

I came through at one point trying to get everyone working - think I said to you that you were doing enough. There were a good few sitting in doing nothing who still had legs at the end.

Last times average was 41kmh. This weeks 42kmh. Shows the difference being caught earlier makes.

I came through at one point trying to get everyone working - think I said to you that you were doing enough. There were a good few sitting in doing nothing who still had legs at the end.

Last times average was 41kmh. This weeks 42kmh. Shows the difference being caught earlier makes.

Yeah, I saw half the earlier front bunch dropped by the end. I had jumped with the A3s then the A2s but there was a wobble in front of me and I had to swerve into the grass and it seemed too dangerous to swerve out into the bunch. Chased but pulled out when I figured I'd be in the way. Great fun overall.

• Advertisement

I generally ignore people shouting, or shout at other people myself, or make vroom vroom or nee naw noises. People will always sit in, if you attack you will get stronger than them. A few of the A4s should organise a group of about 4 or 5 riders to give it 100% from the gun, if you make it round to the back of the A1 group and manage to sit on them you will get a lap on the entire field and win it. I tried it last year with another lad and we got to about 100 metres off the back of the a1 bunch, then blew up :)

I waited for the A1s actually, but they caught me on a corner so I kept my line and eased up so as not to get in the way, then chased after them but they never eased up so I just couldn't keep the pace on my own. Seriously, way more fun than road racing, but it's closer to track so that'd make sense I guess.

Was second time at it and riding at the front makes the corners so much easier, don't think I touched the brakes at all while in front group.

Hope the lad from LCRC whose tub came off is ok.

Hope the lad from LCRC whose tub came off is ok.

Fractured hip - operated on and recovering now.

Fractured hip - operated on and recovering now.

ouch. Saw him go down - he was trying to bridge across to the break when he lost the front, then saw he was still down the next lap. hope he gets better soon and the bike is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

Is there many more of these races left ?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ken1975

Junior wrote: »
    Is there many more of these races left ?

if you google BIKEWORX MONDELLO youll find the poster advertising it. I cant post URL's as Im a newbie :-(

failing that:

July 8th + 29th
    August 12th + 26th
    September 9th

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,489 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've updated the thread title, as this thread's clearly dedicated to a bit more than the 3 June race

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Ken1975 wrote: »
    if you google BIKEWORX MONDELLO youll find the poster advertising it. I cant post URL's as Im a newbie :-(

failing that:

July 8th + 29th
    August 12th + 26th
    September 9th

It is possible to go to one of these races with no racing experience? Is there a category for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It is possible to go to one of these races with no racing experience? Is there a category for that?

Its a Handicap race so everyone is in it together, I wouldn't recommend it as a first race as its fast, lots of corners and fairly hectic.

• Advertisement

MondelloPoster2014.jpg

Possible, but definitely not advisable.

Advertisement