Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone enter competitions?

• 18-04-2013 9:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

Do any of the writers on here enter CW competitions?

I am just beginning to get enough confidence to start entering some competitions. It's taken a long long while to even feel like this - don't know how long it will take me to actually write a piece I think is worthy of a competition.

Anyway, was wondering what happens when you don't win. How you feel. Do you let it get you down? Does it stop you from writing for a while?

Also, how must it feel if you win - oh I can only imagine how amazing that would be. I know we're supposed to just be happy writing but I can't be the only one that loves recognition, affirmation etc.

Also how do you hear about comps? I found a great list on BBC website a year ago with nearly every major and a good few minor comps on it but when I search now can't find it anywhere. Damn why didn't I bookmark you?! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Is this it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Is this it?

Ok - I'll go again...

Yes, this is the list, although not the exact page it is what I have been looking for so in the style of yerself thank you very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

hcass wrote: »
    Do any of the writers on here enter CW competitions?

I am just beginning to get enough confidence to start entering some competitions. It's taken a long long while to even feel like this - don't know how long it will take me to actually write a piece I think is worthy of a competition.

Anyway, was wondering what happens when you don't win. How you feel. Do you let it get you down? Does it stop you from writing for a while?

I have entered a few. No sucess (so far) but it gives you a deadline and something to focus on if, like me, you can usually find something else to do.

Your stuff is certainly good enough hcass. Your 'pencil case' story is a bit short for most competitions but is better than many winners. Don't wait until you have something 'worthy'. Send whatever you have.
    It is disappointing not to win and to read the winner and think that yours was at least as good if not better, or to have to admit that yours wasn't as good but your next one might be.
    My attitude is that competitions are a bit of a lottery. There can be only one winner so a lot of good entries are bound to lose out. Most cost €10-15 to enter and I look on it as being the same as doing the lotto or putting the money on a horse. You might be lucky but if you don't try you can't win...and as you say winning would be such a boost.

There was a thread on competitions on this forum. If I find it again I'll bump it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

go for it. Enter them all
    You can only get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭ThePinkCage

Irish Writers' Centre, Munster Literature Centre and writing.ie all have info on competitions. Writing Magazine is also a very good market for identifying markets for your writing, as well as competitions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement