Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does and athiest say 'hello' in Irish?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Lá mhaith / maidin mhaith etc - good day / good morning etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

dlofnep wrote: »
    "Haigh" or "Bhuel" work just fine.
    'Árd', no 'tobar'

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Lá mhaith / maidin mhaith etc - good day / good morning etc
    Reminds me of the "lá breá"s as the original influx of those seeking to learn Irish in the Gaeltacht were known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Panrich wrote: »
    This really should be moved to After Hours. There are a few regulars over there who would be very disappointed to miss another chance at knocking Irish.

I post here as an Atheist so allow me the honour. Language is a way of communicating ideas and information and allows us to share such so that we don't each have to invent the wheel. Irish served this purpose for a long time but is now little more than a novel skill for people to learn. Very few rely on it as their sole language so it's usefulness is questionable. It's current situation is that it is something that some patriotic people enjoy learning or would like to learn had the school system not crushed their enjoyment of it. Then there are others like myself who aren't very patriotic (it's rationality is a whole other subject) and can get angry with the multitude of wasted hours we were forced to try and learn a novel skill we had no desire to learn. The reason Irish gets a bashing is sometimes it's hard to separate the subject from the institution that forced it on you. Force people to learn something they later find useless and you get resentment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

mikhail wrote: »
    How does an atheist say goodbye in English? Does he act like an idiot, or accept that it lost the meaning of God be with ye centuries ago?

I'm sure an idiot knows how to say goodbye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I usually just squeal incoherently as both hello and goodbye. Problem solved, in any language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Dave147 wrote: »
    I'm sure an idiot knows how to say goodbye.

They may know how but they never know when.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Liam1000

Thanks for reviving my thread and your interesting replies guys!

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

I'm an atheist and an Irish speaker but when I catch my finger in the door I say: "JESUS CHRIST".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If you want you could practice once everyday where you get your fingers caught in the door and you keep the practice up until you learn to stop saying "Jesus Christ". That's if you want to of course. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I wouldn't worry about it, given that the English "goodbye" is a contraction of "God be with ye" (via "godbwye").

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Eh no, you're completely wrong there ted.

Conas atá tú/Conas tánn tú/Conas taoi = Munster.
    Cén chaoi (a) bhfuil tú = Connacht.
    Cad é mar atá tú = Ulster.
    :eek: You're completely right dlofnep, I don't remember why I would have written that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Enkidu wrote: »
    :eek: You're completely right dlofnep, I don't remember why I would have written that!

No worries bud! Sorry, my response sounded a bit snotty in retrospect. Must have been on an off day. *hug*

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

slan leat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

No worries bud! Sorry, my response sounded a bit snotty in retrospect. Must have been on an off day. *hug*
    Oh, it didn't sound bad! What's wrong has to be corrected, no harm at all!:)

Actually I really like the way some people still use taoi. I know in old books you see táthaoi sometimes instead of tá sibh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Yo madra :D

Advertisement