Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any recommendations for a HDMI Micro PC?

Options
  • 25-03-2015 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'm looking to go as small as possible in terms of physical footprint when browsing the web/watching video. I currently have a desktop hooked up to my bedroom TV, but I want a micro PC.
    I saw this and I'm intrigued by it.
    http://www.hannspree.eu/en/computing/snnpdi1b-micro-p
    I can get it from Amazon, or from DID, according to their site. If I was to get this, I'd get it along with a USB port hub (I'd use a USB sound card, USB-to-ethernet adaptor (since I don't like using Wifi), wireless mouse+keyboard and maybe an external hard drive).
    Has anyone here had this specific micro PC and would they recommend it? What about any others? I'm interested in micro PCs that are out now, I know that there's this Intel Compute stick that's due out soon, but I'm not going to wait for that.
    In case anyone tries to recommend something like the Gigabyte Brix PCs, sorry no, I'm not interested in anything like that. These HDMI sticks that run off of USB are what I'm looking at.
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm using a raspberry pi 2 as a media centre and its fantastic. Just watched a 15GB 1080p movie without issue using openelec with Kofi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

I'm using a raspberry pi 2 as a media centre and its fantastic. Just watched a 15GB 1080p movie without issue using openelec with Kofi.

I might get that. Was the movie file on the Pi's SD card, or where you playing it over your network? I've got a 4TB Seagate hard drive connected via 1Gb ethernet cable to my network.
    Also, about the Pi 2, I think I heard somewhere that I can run full blown desktop grade Linux on it, or are we still "stuck" with the Raspbian distro? I want to just throw Ubuntu onto it and call it a day.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    I might get that. Was the movie file on the Pi's SD card, or where you playing it over your network? I've got a 4TB Seagate hard drive connected via 1Gb ethernet cable to my network.
    Also, about the Pi 2, I think I heard somewhere that I can run full blown desktop grade Linux on it, or are we still "stuck" with the Raspbian distro? I want to just throw Ubuntu onto it and call it a day.

Networked NAS, and use local storage also (hard disk plugged in via USB).

As for Ubuntu, I hadn't looked, but it appears that Ubuntu is now available for the latest Pi:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi

However, if you want a media centre then I would go the openelec route, however there is no web browser that i've found for openelec, so it works for streaming and local media, but not browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adam anto

As far as I know (could be wrong), but at the moment there is no Ubuntu distro for the Pi. There was a release of Ubuntu Snappy for the Pi but this is a developers distro and does not have an X environment (desktop).
    Rasbian is still where it's at.
    There was talk about Window 10 working on the Pi but again, this will be for developers and not the regular windows.

I am a self confessed Pi-oholic. They are incredible little machines. I have one that controls lights and water/central heating in the house. Has been on for the past 2 years and only needed to be rebooted twice...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Might be more of an expensive option but these are brilliant little machines too some of the spec you can get in a tiny box is brilliant,

http://www.elara.ie/products/barebone.aspx

Alot of sites do them so id say you can get them cheaper then elara.

Advertisement