Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried training as a wrestler?

Options
  • 20-03-2015 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here has ever trained as a wrestler?

I would never be a star or anything like that but I do kind of fancy getting into a ring, running the ropes and maybe taking a bump or two to see what it feels like. I know it would be sore, but it still seems interesting, even if it was just for a few minutes to try it out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Yea I was in IWW school in 05 for a few months. Greg Burridge had just started as head trainer either just before or just after I started training, otherwise Sheamus led the classes whenever I was there.

Like you always hear on shoot interviews that first bump is such a shock. But it does become addictive then. I remember I did a few 1 on 1 classes with Burridge and he was always stood on your hand if you lay it flat on the mat when getting up from a bump.

I wish I had stuck with it as it was a really decent group of lads at the time and a good few were from Blanch so plenty of ppl to keep you company on the way back from training or a show, but unfortunately I gave it up due to family crap when looking back I prob could have kept on doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

I woule love to get involved in training. The only thing though the idea of a front bump scares the bejaysus out of me. Knowing my luck I'd land on my head and do damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I traine with IWW for a while and wrestled a few shows...it was awesome, bingo balance was my trainer and I couldn't of recieve any better training he was really awesome.

My last show was in Yaughal in cork for "The King Of Cork" cup. Got to wrestle Mandrake which was a treat! Had to give up when in college as I couldn't afford it. They called me Shane The Bruiser ( hated that name, think it was a dog at the ballymun bruiser who was no longer with the company, another real nice guy who helped Tain me)

Between buses to trainin from kilkenny and training itself I had to pay 60e every Saturday.

Was meant to go to England with a fellow Kilkenny man and Boards hero "Conor Hurley" to a conpany called PCW ( not Preston wrestling), apparently to win their tag team titles, had flights booked but Conor cancelled so I didn't go :(

Want to get back into it after football season is over and I buy a car but dunno who to train with FFPW or MSW!

It's a great environment to be around, went on the piss with Doug Basham in kilkenny. Was stuck in the middle of a small car with Basham and Vito ribbing me. Was very cramped as I was also a big dud at 20 stone at the time( not as big anymore woohoo!) Balls Mahony was cool, have me props for the way I took an RKO.

I'm constantly still doing promos in my mirror in hope of getting back into it as I genuinely loved it but was to broke to continute it. Go for it dude, you won't regret it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I'm really out of shape and overweight so I don't know if its even something I'd want to do even for a few weeks. I just fancy being let run the ropes and take a few back bumps on the mat.

The only injuries I would fear are banging my head off the mat on a back bump or landing on my head and breaking my neck/becoming paralysed.

Other than that, the other potential injuries don't worry me that much for some reason.

I don't know what I'd be like promo wise, I'm not exactly an extrovert and loud. I'm quite quiet and reserved, but I always feel like my promo's would be more cutting and include a lot of swearing. Haha I haven't a clue. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I did training for a while with MSW but stopped for the wedding. Been dying to get back into it but don't have the time with my current job.

I'm not slim by any means, about 2 stone overweight, and I found it to be a great workout. The warm up is intense but not overbearing (Squats will become your enemy!), and to be honest you feel great after doing it. After only a few classes you'll notice a difference with weight and cardio.

Bumping is great fun, and enough is done to ensure you won't land on your head or anything. Accidents do happen, I once did a front flip bump and landed on my arm, completely my own fault. Hurt like hell but straight away Joey (Luther Ward) explained to me what I did wrong and it never happened again.

Really do miss it myself, even reading your post is making me try figure out a way to make training possible with my work hours again. Just go for it, try a class out and see how you get on :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

MSW don't seem to have a proper website do they?

Can see contact details for IWW on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

veganrun wrote: »
    MSW don't seem to have a proper website do they?

Can see contact details for IWW on their site.

Contact details for MSW should be on their Facebook :)

Advertisement